• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting monsters from First Edition modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Nothing in the MM entry, but there is this in Races of Faerun:

Unique Items: Svirfneblin manufacture and use a number of specialized weapons particular to their race, including acid darts, crystal caltrops, stun darts, and flash grenades (see the appendices).

Aspect of BOZ

First Post
Races of Faerun said:
Dart, Stun: When one of these hollow darts hits a target, it releases a small puff of poison gas. The victim must make a Fortitude save (DC 12) or be stunned for one round. After one round, the target must make another Fortitude save (DC 12) or be stunned for an additional 1d4 rounds.

i think the question is, do we want to leave them like so, or try to make them more like the originals?

Aspect of BOZ

First Post
That's probably the best way to go.

I like Mortis' idea of giving the same HD as size. I could also see them with having three separate stat blocks; once for each size.

As for giving it a trample attack, I don't see that. I mean, these guys in my mind move around kind of like Daleks or something, and I really can't see them zooming around crushing people. Besides, it says that they only do this to prone opponents, so just creatures who are lying flat on the ground.

Mortis

First Post
Aspect of BOZ said:
That's probably the best way to go.
Agreed
I like Mortis' idea of giving the same HD as size.
:) Although the original stats pretty much suggested it - except the line about them all hitting and saving as 8HD creatures.
I could also see them with having three separate stat blocks; once for each size.
Again that follows from them having three sizes. I assume that we will work on all three simultaneously?
As for giving it a trample attack, I don't see that.
Wasn't sure myself, which is why I queried it.
...Daleks...
Woo! D20 Daleks - someone must have done them. :)

Regards
Mortis

Aspect of BOZ

First Post
Mortis said:
:) Although the original stats pretty much suggested it - except the line about them all hitting and saving as 8HD creatures.

Again that follows from them having three sizes. I assume that we will work on all three simultaneously?

indeed! also, i decided to go 4-HD, 8-HD, and 12-HD.

UK4 said:
The vapour jets fire simultaneously to the fore and aft in a cone, with varying effects as follows (a successful saving throw vs. Breath means that the damage is halved):
4' bozorg - range 3"; base diameter 1"; damage 2-8 hp
8' bozorg - range 6"; base diameter 2"; damage 3-12 hp
12' bozorg - range 9"; base diameter 3"; damage 4-16 hp

Mortis said:
Vapor Jets (Ex): The bozorg fires two vapor jets, simultaneously, from its front and rear in a cone, with varying effects as follows (Reflex save for half; the Reflex save is Str based?):
Small (4 ft) bozorg: 15 ft cone; damage 2d4 fire.
Medium (8 ft) bozorg: 30 ft cone; damage 3d4 fire.
Large (12 ft) bozorg: 45 ft cone; damage 4d4 fire.

i wish i could make a table out of that... the sizes of the cones should probably be smaller than that. don't think the save should be Str-based. we also need to find a way to state that one cone comes out at one direction, and the other will always come out in the opposite direction.

UK4 said:
If reduced to below zero hit points, a bozorg's power source will overload, rapidly heating its outer shell and causing 1-8 hit points of heat damage to anyone within 10 feet. After one round it implodes (harmlessly) and cools, becoming completely useless.

Mortis said:
Power Surge (Ex): When a bozorg is reduced to less than 0 hit points, its power supply begins to overload. This causes its outer shell to rapidly heat up and inflicts 1d8 points of fire damage to anyone within 10 ft (Reflex save for half?). The round after the bozorg harmlessly implodes and cools down, becoming completely useless.

a bit of reworking...

Power Surge (Ex): When killed, a bozorg's power supply begins to overload, rapidly heating its outer shell and dealing 1d8 points of fire damage to anyone within 10 ft (Reflex DC X half). The following round, the power source harmlessly implodes and cools down, becoming completely useless. The save DC is Constitution?-based.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Aspect of BOZ said:
i wish i could make a table out of that... the sizes of the cones should probably be smaller than that. don't think the save should be Str-based. we also need to find a way to state that one cone comes out at one direction, and the other will always come out in the opposite direction.

As one of the only things that utilizes "facing", we could look to the dragon's tail sweep as inspiration...

Tail Sweep (Ex): This special attack allows a dragon of at least Gargantuan size to sweep with its tail as a standard action. The sweep affects a half-circle with a radius of 30 feet (or 40 feet for a Colossal dragon), extending from an intersection on the edge of the dragon’s space in any direction. Creatures within the swept area are affected if they are four or more size categories smaller than the dragon. A tail sweep automatically deals the indicated damage plus 1-1/2 times the dragon’s Strength bonus (round down). Affected creatures can attempt Reflex saves to take half damage (DC equal to that of the dragon’s breath weapon).

Definition of cone:

A cone-shaped spell shoots away from you in a quarter-circle in the direction you designate. It starts from any corner of your square and widens out as it goes. Most cones are either bursts or emanations (see above), and thus won’t go around corners.

So maybe...

Vapor Jets (Ex): The bozorg fires two vapor jets, simultaneously, from its front and rear. Select one corner of the bozorg's square as normal for a cone; the second cone originates from the opposite corner. The vapor jets deal fire damage based on the bozorg's size. A Reflex save halves the damage. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Aspect of BOZ said:
a bit of reworking...

Power Surge (Ex): When killed, a bozorg's power supply begins to overload, rapidly heating its outer shell and dealing 1d8 points of fire damage to anyone within 10 ft (Reflex DC X half). The following round, the power source harmlessly implodes and cools down, becoming completely useless. The save DC is Constitution?-based.

Looks good.

dhaga

First Post
Aspect of BOZ said:

Shade said:
Vapor Jets (Ex): The bozorg fires two vapor jets, simultaneously, from its front and rear. Select one corner of the bozorg's square as normal for a cone; the second cone originates from the opposite corner. The vapor jets deal fire damage based on the bozorg's size. A Reflex save halves the damage. The save DC is Constitution-based.

I think these both look good. Pretty intuitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads