• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting monsters from First Edition modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
typo! how dare you underestimate this thing's need for good writing skills! ;)
Perhaps we could give them Craft (calligraphy) so they can write real pretty. ;)

BOZ said:
true... but this is an intelligent creature, so some more Knowledge-based skills would be a good idea. Not sure how an incorporeal would benefit from Escape Artist though? For Hide, how big of a racial bonus to hide in shadows? We could diversify a bit with skills like Gather Information, Sense Motive, or Spellcraft.
My thought was that since it barely moves and hides away in remote locations, it wouldn't really have an opportunity to Gather Information. As for Sense Motive and Spellcraft, I assume it would have to be able to use these through the whisps as well, since it has no sight/hearing of its own.

BOZ said:
do we keep this line? Without it, a whisp has a +6 incorporeal touch attack, but with this line, it has a +13 to hit.
"Whisps use the presence's base attack bonus, but use their own Dexterity modifier to determine their melee attack bonus with natural weapons."
Keep it. :)

BOZ said:
Should we add anything to the whisp's description about mindlessness?
I'm not sure that it is necessary, since they have a "-" for Intelligence.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade said:
Perhaps we could give them Craft (calligraphy) so they can write real pretty.

:D

Shade said:
My thought was that since it barely moves and hides away in remote locations, it wouldn't really have an opportunity to Gather Information. As for Sense Motive and Spellcraft, I assume it would have to be able to use these through the whisps as well, since it has no sight/hearing of its own.

"A presence can likewise make checks for any skill with Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma as its key ability, through what a whisp observes."

adding Sense Motive and Spellcraft, and changing Knowledge to Knowledge (any three).

Not sure how an incorporeal would benefit from Escape Artist though? For Hide, how big of a racial bonus to hide in shadows?

Shade said:
I'm not sure that it is necessary, since they have a "-" for Intelligence.

sounds good, as long as that can be assumed. I mean, it's not listed for oozes and vermin, though it is listed under their type traits.

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
"A presence can likewise make checks for any skill with Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma as its key ability, through what a whisp observes."
Excellent! :)

BOZ said:
adding Sense Motive and Spellcraft, and changing Knowledge to Knowledge (any three).
That'll work.

BOZ said:
Not sure how an incorporeal would benefit from Escape Artist though? For Hide, how big of a racial bonus to hide in shadows?
Good point. Ditch Escape Artist. I'd give it the common +8 to Hide.

BOZ said:
sounds good, as long as that can be assumed. I mean, it's not listed for oozes and vermin, though it is listed under their type traits.
True. But skeletons and zombies are mindless, and I don't believe it is listed in their descriptions nor in their type entry.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade said:
True. But skeletons and zombies are mindless, and I don't believe it is listed in their descriptions nor in their type entry.

yes, you’re absolutely right. OK, no need to add anything about Mindless.

Updating…

Shade

Monster Junkie
CR 8? It really isn't very dangerous.

Advancement: Is there any reason it can't get bigger? 22 HD is awfully high for a Small creature. Peraps limit it's advancement but keep it Small, or add additional size categories to cover the spread?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade said:
CR 8? It really isn't very dangerous.

it’s practically harmless without the whisps. ;) and if you have ghost touch armor, it can’t even really do anything to you. 8 is just fine.

Shade said:
Advancement: Is there any reason it can't get bigger? 22 HD is awfully high for a Small creature. Peraps limit it's advancement but keep it Small, or add additional size categories to cover the spread?

Well, 11 HD is a lot for a Small creature to begin with. ;)

I don’t see what difference the size makes for this creature. Going up to medium won’t change its Space, and it doesn’t make any attacks of its own. The only thing I see changing is that it loses its size bonus to AC, so I don’t see why we need to make it any bigger. I guess it would get a few more HP, but its already low Dex would go down, and it doesn’t have any natural armor to compensate since it is incorporeal.

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade said:
Points taken. Keep it Small. In fact, make it get smaller as it advances. ;)

heh. :) incorporeals really miss out on all the advantages to size increases, and get stuck with the disadvantages. ;)

updating again – does it look good to go? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads