Converting monsters from First Edition modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
shade; i like the writeup for the ferocity, but charisma should be the DC base for all fear-type effects. and also, i think we need to rename it a bit since "ferocity" is now the ability to stay conscious after 0 hp.

also, i think the effect should have a limit, like only working once or once per encounter.

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
shade; i like the writeup for the ferocity, but charisma should be the DC base for all fear-type effects. and also, i think we need to rename it a bit since "ferocity" is now the ability to stay conscious after 0 hp.

also, i think the effect should have a limit, like only working once or once per encounter.

How about calling it "Feral Slash" since that's the name of the monster, and is unlikely to be used for another ability down the line?

I'm in favor of either once per encounter, or stating that once a creature successfully saves, it is immune to that feral slashers special attack name for 24 hours.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
i rewrote it like this:

Feral Fury (Ex): Any creature struck by the feral slasher's natural attacks must succeed on a Will save (DC 11 + feral slasher's Charisma modifier) or become panicked for two rounds. If the first save was successful, the victim must then make another Will save (DC 11 + feral slasher's Charisma modifier) or be stunned for one round. After the first successful attack from a feral slasher, that victim is immune to this effect for the remainder of the encounter. The save DC is Charisma-based.

the power wasn't meant to be super strong, but it should mess up lower level guys pretty good, and i think this covers it a little better.

now, to work on ability scores...

how about Str 8, Dex 21, Con 14, Int 1, Wis 8, Cha 14?

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
i rewrote it like this:

Feral Fury (Ex): Any creature struck by the feral slasher's natural attacks must succeed on a Will save (DC 11 + feral slasher's Charisma modifier) or become panicked for two rounds. If the first save was successful, the victim must then make another Will save (DC 11 + feral slasher's Charisma modifier) or be stunned for one round. After the first successful attack from a feral slasher, that victim is immune to this effect for the remainder of the encounter. The save DC is Charisma-based.

the power wasn't meant to be super strong, but it should mess up lower level guys pretty good, and i think this covers it a little better.

now, to work on ability scores...

how about Str 8, Dex 21, Con 14, Int 1, Wis 8, Cha 14?

I like your name for the ability much better. I'd recommend making the stun save first, as it is the more powerful ability. It seems logical, that after getting hit so hard you were nearly stunned that you might be scared afterward, rather than not being scared, but finding yourself possibly stunned instead.

I think you've chosen appropriate ability scores for the critter.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
why would you say the stun is a worse effect? it only lasts one round, and it doesn't send you running away. ;) now, of course, while stunned the slasher will be attacking you mercilessly...

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
why would you say the stun is a worse effect? it only lasts one round, and it doesn't send you running away. ;) now, of course, while stunned the slasher will be attacking you mercilessly...

Both effects are troublesome, but one allows you to try to get away. ;)

I guess it could go either way. I was thinking more of a pair of them, where one stunned you while the other tore you apart with your reduced AC. Plus, while you are only stunned for 1 round, the next round will be spent picking up your weapon unless you've got a decent backup. I can see your logic, though, and since you're the monster-guru, I'd go with what feels right to you.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
i meant to update this little beast yesterday, but i fixed it now. let me know if there's anything i should change about it, or if i should move on.

Shade

Monster Junkie
He looks good. Before you move on, don't forget the description. I suppose you could pretty much throw italics around the first paragraph and call it a day. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads