Converting monsters from First Edition modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleon

Legend
That seems a good solution.

Let's plug it in then.

I'm wondering whether we should add a note as to the condition of the creature it has eaten, e.g..

Hold on, it's a Topiary Plant, not a Topiary Beast. Better change that!

...I just liked the name Topiary Beast better, so it got stuck in my mind. If I recall correctly it's already used in 3E, alas.

Resemble Shape (Su):
A topiary plant can imitate the appearance of any creature it has eaten. The topiary plant need not have killed the creature itself, but if the creature has been dead for more than two weeks it is too decayed for the plant to mimic its living appearance. This works like the disguise self spell, except the topiary plant retains its original size and can resemble any living creature. The topiary plant's appearance retains vegetative features (vine-like fingers, thorny hair, a greenish complexion, et cetera), so it only gains a +4 bonus to Disguise checks when using this ability to disguise itself.

An advanced topiary plant can use resemble shape to give itself an additional secondary attack for every 2 hit dice it gains (e.g. 1 secondary attack at 5-6 HD, 2 at 7-8 HD and 3 at 9 HD). These attacks can be any natural weapon possessed by a creature the topiary plant has eaten, but the attack always does 1d4 damage, or 1d6 for a Large topiary plant.

Also, since it's a scavenger, I fancy adding Scent to help it sniff out food.

That leaves the poison.

It doesn't say what it does except that it's "weak", but AD&D poison is usually lethal. How about 1d2/1d2 or 1d3/1d3 Con damage? Maybe include a -2 racial penalty?

e.g.:

Poison (Ex): All a topiary plant's natural attacks are coated in a weak poison that does 1d3 Con damage as initial and secondary damage (DC X Fortitude save). The save DC is Constitution-based and includes a -2 racial penalty.

Cleon

Legend
Smells good. ;)

Updated.

Hmm, would it be better with "An advanced topiary plant can use resemble shape to give itself an additional secondary attack for every 2 hit dice it has advanced (e.g. 1 secondary attack at 5-6 HD, 2 at 7-8 HD and 3 at 9 HD). These attacks can be any natural weapon possessed by a creature the topiary plant has eaten, but the attack always does 1d4 damage, or 1d6 for a Large topiary plant."?

Should we move that paragraph to an "Advanced Topiary Plant" entry?

Skills and feats next methinks...

Listen, Move Silently and Spot like a Phantom Fungus or Tendriculos?

2 ranks apiece?

Alertness and Iron Will?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Yes, I prefer the Advanced section as well.

As usual, I don't care for Iron Will. You like all creatures to be mentally-fortified powerhouses, don't you? :p

If we give it a save-booster, I'd prefer Lighnting Reflexes. However, I'd actually prefer Improved Initiative or Weapon Focus to either of those.

Cleon

Legend
Yes, I prefer the Advanced section as well.

As usual, I don't care for Iron Will. You like all creatures to be mentally-fortified powerhouses, don't you? :p

More like I don't want then to be weak-minded pushovers.;)

Actually I was thinking there seems to be a trend for Plant monsters to have Iron Will, like the Shambling Mound and Tendriculos, so fancied the Topiary Plant following suit.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:D

If we give it a save-booster, I'd prefer Lighnting Reflexes. However, I'd actually prefer Improved Initiative or Weapon Focus to either of those.

Of those three Weapon Focus is my preferred one. They don't strike me as speedy, agile creatures.

Besides, it goes with them being shaped like wolves since the SRD Wolf has WF (bite).

Shade

Monster Junkie
Admit it. You've got Iron Will posters on your bedroom wall, and once followed them on their Epic Will tour. Didn't ya? :p

Updated.

Shapechanger subtype?

Environment: Any forests?

Organization: Solitary or garden (2-x)?

Challenge Rating: 2?

Treasure: None?

Alignment: Always neutral?

Advancement: x

A typical topiary plant is about x feet tall/x feet in diameter. The plant weighs x pounds.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Yes, yes, garden (2-8), CR 2, yes, yes.

4-6 HD (Medium), 7-10 HD (Large)?

And Cleon can do the size/weight, since he likes to so much. ;)

Cleon

Legend
Admit it. You've got Iron Will posters on your bedroom wall, and once followed them on their Epic Will tour. Didn't ya? :p

Hey, Iron Will are the best band ever. Their so-called rivals suck. Lightning Reflexes are all flash, and their lyrics have none of the depth of Will. As for Great Fortitude, everyone knows they're too square to be any good, might as well be a Christian Rock group.

I doubt their Resemble Shape is good enough for them to count as Shapechangers, but I'll go along with that subtype if you both want it.

Environment: Any forests?

I was thinking "Any land" or maybe "Any land except mountains"

Organization: Solitary or garden (2-x)?

How about "hedge (2-8)" instead of garden?

Challenge Rating: 2?

Treasure: None?

Alignment: Always neutral?

That all looks reasonable.

Advancement: x

I'd fancy having them grow up to Huge size.

Advancement: 4-5 HD (Medium), 6-11 HD (Large); 12-18 HD (Huge) ?

A typical topiary plant is about x feet tall/x feet in diameter. The plant weighs x pounds.

How's this:

A typical topiary plant usually resembles an animal between 5 and 8 feet long, although its basic form is a thorny bush about 4 feet across. The plant weighs 100 pounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads