• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting monsters from Imagine Magazine

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
That's just what I was thinking. That's two at 18, one at 10. Want to make it smart and put Wis at 10?
It has:
Speech, telepathy
120 ft. darkvision, blindsense, and hearing
3 lesser, 2 greater powers (want to make one a dedicated power for the special purpose of either destroying the Taumet or more generally evil dragons?)

Shade

Monster Junkie
Actually, the fire claws have two at 19, one at 10, four lesser powers and three greater powers (one of which is special purpose).

I agree with Wis being the "dump stat".

Let's make the special purpose destroying the Taumet. Killing a few evil dragons along the way is just gravy. :)

freyar

Ooops, misread that. Agreed to this.

So the main magical bit is the damage to evil dragons. Should the destruction of the Taumet be the dedicated greater power?

Suggested lesser powers: bless allies 3/day, 10 ranks in Knowledge (appropriate for Taumet -- religion or arcana?), cure moderate wounds on wielder 3/day, maybe zone of truth 3/day?

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'd say Arcana, since it applies to both dragons and golems.

How about locate object 3/day as a lesser power so it can track down the Taumet items?

I'm fine with the rest of what you suggested.

The special purpose power does eat up a greater power slot. I'd say the blast that deals 8d10 damage to the Taumet, 4d10 damage to evil dragons and 2d10 to neutral dragons is the special purpose power. Usable 1/day?

freyar

Let's replace zone of truth with locate object, then. I had been thinking the range on locate object wasn't long enough for that, but perhaps it would be helpful.

Don't forget breaks the taumet apart on a failed save! 1/day is fine.

Should this thing have a "normal" power or just the ones associated with being intelligent? Perhaps it is a horn of goodness (that doesn't adapt to the owner)?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Sure. I could even see it functioning as a horn of blasting as well, what with its ability to blow the Taumet to pieces! :cool:

freyar

Hmm, I think that the horn of blasting is maybe too similar to the dedicated power. But you could convince me. :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads