• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting monsters from Imagine Magazine

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Echohawk can correct me if the magazine contradicts this, but I'm getting a strong Tiamat vibe off the Taumet. If this is the case, perhaps the wyrmhorn was crafted by Bahamut or his priests?
There is nothing much in the original Imagine article to either contradict or support a link to Tiamat. The Taumet comes from a brief article (three pages) which is very light on background material. That said, I think a link to Bahamut would make the Taumet a more useful conversion.

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
Hmm, I think that the horn of blasting is maybe too similar to the dedicated power. But you could convince me.

I was just thinking that the horn of goodness is a bit weak for a base artifact power, and the blasting was synergistic. :)

There is nothing much in the original Imagine article to either contradict or support a link to Tiamat. The Taumet comes from a brief article (three pages) which is very light on background material. That said, I think a link to Bahamut would make the Taumet a more useful conversion.

Great! Thanks. :)

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Ok, you convinced me. ;) I think I prefer a regular (not greater) horn of blasting, though, because the greater one would be too powerful compared to the dedicated power. Let's also put in that, if it damages an evil dragon, that use doesn't count towards the chance of blowing up.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Putting the pieces together...

The Wyrmhelm: This instrument appears to be fashioned from solid platinum, molded in the shape of a dragon's horn. This lawful good intelligent artifact has Int 19, Wis 10, Cha 19, and Ego x. It functions as both a horn of blasting and a horn of goodness. It never risks exploding when used. The wyrmhelm has 10 ranks in Knowledge (arcana), and can use bless, cure moderate wounds (on wielder), and locate object each 3/day. Created by priests of Bahamut, the Wyrmhelm's special purpose is to destroy the Taumet, and to a lesser extent, any evil dragons that get in its way. Its special purpose dedicated power allows it to unleash a powerful blast in a 60-foot cone once per day. This blast deals 4d10 damage to evil dragons and 2d10 to neutral dragons. Against the Taumet, it deals 8d10 points of damage and forces the Taumet to succeed on a DC X Fortitude(?) save or discorporate into its component relics, killing the host in the process.

The Wyrmhelm has darkvision, blindsense, and hearing to a range of 120 ft.. It can speak Common and communicate telepathically with its wielder, and can read all languages as well as use read magic at will. Caster level 20th.

freyar

Should we specify if the damage to dragons is on top of the normal blasting ability? Because it doesn't do enough to the neutral dragons otherwise. Looking good, though. I think the Fort save is right for the Taumet, though I guess constructs only get their base Fort bonus, right?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Correct. Constructs have terrible, terrible saves. :)

Dunno about the neutral dragon damage. Perhaps just boost the damage rather than "stacking" with blasting? Or just drop the neutral dragons bit altogether, since Bahamut probably has no beef with them?

freyar

Let's drop the neutral dragons, I guess. But I think this is good.

How do you want to pick the DC for the Taumet?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Well, if we go by greater shout, that's DC 10 + spell level (8) + Cha (4) = 22.

However, the Taumet's Fort save is +15, so DC 25 would give it a 50/50 shot.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

One more item!

The Taumet Codex
This tome has, over the course of the centuries since it was written, been badly mistreated, burnt and partially destroyed. The only remaining pieces of the Codex, now bound into a new book little concerned with the truth of the Taumet, describe the relics and some of their powers, although not the fact that they will attempt to dominate their wearer(s).

The last stained and partial section of the Codex concerns the creation of the Taumet, and is little more than a phonetic speech (in an unintelligible, forgotten tongue) to be read out in the presence of the wearer of the relics. "The Taumet", says the text, "will then be released upon the World and all its kindred."

Remove ads