Converting monsters from the second edition Monstrous Compendiums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Here's a start:

Typical Sorcerer Spells Known (6/7/7/7/7/6/6/5/3; save DC 14 + spell level):
0—create water, dancing lights, daze, detect magic, ghost sound, guidance, inflict minor wounds, lullaby, mage hand, resistance, virtue;
1st—bane, cure light wounds, endure elements, entangle, longstrider, mage armor, magic missle, obscuring mist, shield;
2nd—bear's endurance, bull's strength, cat's grace, eagle's splendor, fog cloud, gust of wind, mirror image, misdirection, shatter, undetectable alignment, warp wood, whispering wind;
3rd—cure serious wounds, diminish plants, dispel magic, fly, glibness, haste, lightning bolt, protection from energy, plant growth, slow, water breathing, water walk, wind wall;
4th—black tentacles, divine power, freedom of movement, greater invisibility, ice storm, rusting grasp, scrying, wall of ice;
5th—cloudkill, cone of cold, flame strike, hold monster, mirage arcana, song of discord, spell resistance, transmute rock to mud;
6th—blade barrier, call lightning storm, freezing sphere, heal, greater dispel magic, greater shout (as bard), ironwood, true seeing;
7th—animate plants, control weather, destruction, forcecage, greater teleport, prismatic spray, waves of exhaustion;
8th—control plants, horrid wilting, polar ray, unholy aura.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
id scale that down a bit, maybe to half. some older/more successful sea hermits will have as many as you list or more, while some younger/less successful sea hermits will have a dozen spells or fewer. i'd prefer a middle of the road example. ;)

Shade

Monster Junkie
Agreed. I figured I'd throw a bunch out there and let the rest of the fellows whittle it down. ;)

I pulled from the bard, druid, cleric, and sor/wiz list for variety.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Just started hacking and slashing... removed spells that I wasn't sure how useful it would find, then I just picked and chose more or less at random. ;)

Typical Sorcerer Spells Known (6/7/7/7/7/6/6/5/3; save DC 14 + spell level):
0—dancing lights, daze, detect magic, ghost sound, guidance, inflict minor wounds, lullaby, mage hand, resistance, virtue;
1st—bane, endure elements, entangle, longstrider, mage armor, magic missile, obscuring mist, shield;
2nd—bear's endurance, bull's strength, cat's grace, eagle's splendor, fog cloud, gust of wind, mirror image, misdirection, shatter, undetectable alignment, warp wood, whispering wind;
3rd—cure serious wounds, diminish plants, dispel magic, fly, glibness, haste, lightning bolt, protection from energy, plant growth, slow, water walk, wind wall;
4th—divine power, greater invisibility, ice storm, rusting grasp, scrying, wall of ice;
5th—cloudkill, cone of cold, flame strike, hold monster, mirage arcana, song of discord, spell resistance, transmute rock to mud;
6th—blade barrier, call lightning storm, freezing sphere, heal, greater dispel magic, greater shout (as bard), ironwood, true seeing;
7th—animate plants, control weather, destruction, forcecage, greater teleport, prismatic spray, waves of exhaustion;
8th—control plants, horrid wilting, polar ray, unholy aura.

Shade

Monster Junkie
It still looks like a good mix of various victims. :D

Did you want to whittle it more, or are you satisfied?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
i am satisfied with that list, and if you are too then i will use it. ;)

some bits i rediscovered while working on the flavor text...

"its two pairs of large feelers can sense heat, motion, and sound."

"A sea hermit has a 20% chance to have the use of spells and skills of its previous prey... For skills, roll 2d10 for the number available and determine the exact skill randomly. Alternately, the DM can assign skills, including racial and class abilities according to the humanoid forms adopted by the sea hermit."

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
i am satisfied with that list, and if you are too then i will use it. ;)

I am satisfied. :)

BOZ said:
"its two pairs of large feelers can sense heat, motion, and sound."

Tremorsense and/or blindsight/blindsense?

BOZ said:
"A sea hermit has a 20% chance to have the use of spells and skills of its previous prey... For skills, roll 2d10 for the number available and determine the exact skill randomly. Alternately, the DM can assign skills, including racial and class abilities according to the humanoid forms adopted by the sea hermit."

This might help (or might not):

Acquire Skills (Ex):
At 1st level, an illithid savant can acquire one skill known by a creature whose brain he has consumed, chosen at the time of consumption. He permanently gains all of the creatures ranks in that skill (but not racial or ability score bonuses to the skill modifier) even if his new total is more ranks than the illithid savant's current character level would normally allow. This skill becomes a class skill for the illithid savant, and he may buy more ranks in the skill if the new ranks do not cause him to exceed the maximum ranks in the skill.

At 4th, 6th, and 8th level, the illithid savant can acquire and use one additional skill from a brain.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade said:
Tremorsense and/or blindsight/blindsense?

tremorsense yes, and the weaker of the other two, since it's got enough good stuff already with tremorsense. :)

Shade said:
This might help (or might not):

Acquire Skills (Ex):
At 1st level, an illithid savant can acquire one skill known by a creature whose brain he has consumed, chosen at the time of consumption. He permanently gains all of the creatures ranks in that skill (but not racial or ability score bonuses to the skill modifier) even if his new total is more ranks than the illithid savant's current character level would normally allow. This skill becomes a class skill for the illithid savant, and he may buy more ranks in the skill if the new ranks do not cause him to exceed the maximum ranks in the skill.

At 4th, 6th, and 8th level, the illithid savant can acquire and use one additional skill from a brain.

didn't we already adapt this for the Eater of Knowledge? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads