Converting nonhuman deities “Complete Divine” style

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
BOZ said:
Could we get a list going of good general sources for these beings? Besides the more recent Complete Divine and Defenders of the Faith, there is of course Monstrous Mythology as I’ve mentioned. The next big book to deal with that source was Planescape’s On Hallowed Ground. Of course, there is also the place that started things off, the 1E Deities and Demigods.

Any other good general sources you can think of? I’m not asking for “well, this god appeared here, and these two appeared here” but rather “this book gives a bunch of details on the goblinoid and other evil humanoid gods” or “this one tells a bunch of info about most of the gods on your list”. We’ll get into the more specific sources for individual gods later.

They're campaign-specific, but Demihuman Deities was rather forthcoming on the demihuman gods, even if it did have an FR-slant. Faiths & Pantheons wasn't quite as good in that regard, but still, it talked about them quite a bit.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
BOZ, just wanted to point out that you can probably take Surtr and Thrym off your list; both got covered in the 3E Deities and Demigods (Surtr was spelled Surtur, but it's the same deity).

Filby

First Post
Eh, I'll not pursue the Tharizdun issue any further, because there's a good possibility that I'm totally wrong. :p ;)

As for Marthammor/Muamman, Demihuman Deities lists Marthammor Duin as one of Muamman Duathal's aliases, so I'm pretty sure on this, at least.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Filby said:
As for Marthammor/Muamman, Demihuman Deities lists Marthammor Duin as one of Muamman Duathal's aliases, so I'm pretty sure on this, at least.

Does the text expound on that at all? Because you said Gond claims the Nebelun name when its another god's name, and Ghaunadaur does the same thing, so I wonder if that's the case here...

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
BOZ said:
as to all the ones mentioned by filby... i think, for now, i will entertain treating them as separate entities. we can treat the MonMyth versions as "generic" any-world gods, even if they have slightly different aspects on specific campaign worlds.

this should cover my opinion for Muamman, EEG and Dark God. :)

Alzrius said:
They're campaign-specific, but Demihuman Deities was rather forthcoming on the demihuman gods, even if it did have an FR-slant. Faiths & Pantheons wasn't quite as good in that regard, but still, it talked about them quite a bit.

for the most part, all the Demihuman Deities gods were reprised in Faiths & Pantheons.

Also, after looking at the Draconomicon again, I'm thinking that maybe i might want to work on the dragon gods after all... but i want to get some of the others out of the way first. As for Surtur and Thrym, it's the same issue with the dragon gods - the format is completely different from that in Complete Divine and presents a different set of information, so i will keep those on the list and save them for a later time.

So, Alzrius and anyone else lurking on this thread, Filby has requested working on the giant gods. any other requests? :)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
BOZ said:
So, Alzrius and anyone else lurking on this thread, Filby has requested working on the giant gods. any other requests? :)

I'm casting my vote for the "dark folk" gods; Cegilune, Kanchelsis, Mellifleur, and the lycanthrope gods.

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Interesting choice. ;) those will be a nice challenge to write up, since they have no real churches to begin with… so the giants first, dark folk second, after that (which will be awhile I’d imagine) we can decide where to go next.

I’ve started another thread in General to look for sources to work with. You’ll find that here: link link link

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
OK, for reference, here is some information on these gods. I will try to get the very useful information from Monster Mythology posted over the weekend. Also, I will look through the Giantcraft book to see what we can make use of here.

Here is the information on these gods taken from Defenders of the Faith:

The Giant Deities
The deities of the giants are the offspring of Annam.

Annam
Annam is neutral. He is known as the Prime, the Progenitor of Worlds, and the Great Creator. He is both an all-knowing god of learning, philosophy, and deep meditation, and at the same time, a lustful, brash deity of fertility. The domains he is associated with are Knowledge, Magic, Plant, and Sun. His favored weapon is an unarmed strike.

Grolantor
The chaotic evil deity of hill giants, Grolantor, also has a ragtag following among ogres and ettins. He refuses any title but his given name. He is a god of hunting and combat whose willful stupidity gets him and his followers into more confrontations than they can handle. The domains he is associated with are Chaos, Death, Earth, and Evil. His favored weapon is the club.

Hiatea
The main goddess among the giant deities, Hiatea is neutral good. She is goddess of nature, agriculture, hunting, and childbirth, and is revered by many female giants, regardless of their alignment, for her heroism and prowess. The domains she is associated with are Animal, Good, Plant, and Sun. Her favored weapon is the spear.

Iallanis
Like her older sister Hiatea, Iallanis is neutral good. She is the goddess of love, forgiveness, mercy, and beauty, and seeks always to reunite the disparate giant races in harmony. The domains she is associated with are Good, Healing, Strength, and Sun. Her favored weapon is an unarmed strike.

Memnor
Memnor is subtle, charming, intelligent, cultured—and deeply, intensely (neutral) evil. He is a god of pride, mental prowess, and control, and his favored instruments in his schemes to usurp Annam are evil cloud giants. The domains he is associated with are Death, Evil, Knowledge, and Trickery. His favored weapon is the morningstar.

Skoraeus Stonebones
The god of the stone giants, Skoraeus is neutral. Called King of the Rock, he is a withdrawn deity who cares only for the affairs of stone giants. The domains he is associated with are Earth, Healing, Knowledge, and Protection. His favored weapon is the warhammer.

Stronmaus
Mighty Stronmaus is neutral good. He is called the Storm Lord, the Smiling God, and the Thunderhead. He rules over the sun, the sky, weather, and joy. The domains he is associated with are Chaos, Good, Protection, and War. His favored weapon is the warhammer. He is a sworn enemy of Memnor.

And here is the information on Grolantor and Skoraeus from the original Dieties and Demigods (minus stats):

GIANTS, Hill
GROLANTOR
Lesser god
ALIGNMENT: Chaotic evil
WORSHIPER'S ALIGN: Chaotic evil (hill giants)
SYMBOL: Wooden club
PLANE: Tarterus

Grolantor appears to be a huge and powerful hill giant. He wields a huge club named Dwarfcrusher that hits for 4-40 points of damage, and he usually wears several belts of woven dwarfbeards.
Grolantor's creed is persecution of all inferior races (i.e. all those smaller than hill giants). Hill giant shamans will refuse to admit that other giants are actually larger than they, preferring to think of them as equals. Hill giant shamans range up to the 7th level of clerical ability.
Ettins also worship Grolantor, though in a slightly different (two-headed) aspect. However, this does not necessarily make them friendly toward hill giants. Despite (or perhaps because of) their two heads, ettins are less wise than giants, and cannot become greater than 3rd level shamans.

GIANTS, Stone
SKORAEUS STONEBONES "King of the Rock"
Lesser god
ALIGNMENT: Neutral
WORSHIPER'S ALIGN: Neutral (stone giants)
SYMBOL: Stalactite
PLANE: Prime Material Plane

Skoraeus is the Living Rock, a huge granite humanoid who lies at the heart of the world. He knows everything that happens in areas touching rock by listening to the vibrations that are carried to him.
Stonebones will never venture above ground, and he cannot even be gated there. While touching raw stone, he regenerates 5 hit points per round. He can strike with his fists for 6-60 points of damage each. Skoraeus can cast one earthquake spell per round, at the 30th level of ability. He can also instantly summon 2-20 stone giants to his aid.
Stone giant shamans cultivate an attitude of indifference and aloofness. It is their belief that the doings of lesser mortals should have little influence upon the affairs of stone giants. They regard both law and chaos with suspicion, and are inclined to repulse the overtures of either. Stone giant shamans can attain the 7th level of clerical ability.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Just curious BOZ, isn't Vaprak also part of this pantheon? Also, shouldn't Zrunta Mountainheart be listed here too?

Filby

First Post
Vaprak isn't technically part of the pantheon, but he's traditionally been grouped in with the others.

I'm kinda curious about Zrunta... never heard of him (or her?) until this thread.

Remove ads