Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I like all that except grove. Seems too plant-like, and it would be better for them to be distinct from dryads. Foxes are "skulks" or "leashes," but those don't seem right, either. What about pack or pride?

Cleon

Legend
I like all that except grove. Seems too plant-like, and it would be better for them to be distinct from dryads. Foxes are "skulks" or "leashes," but those don't seem right, either. What about pack or pride?

That's OK, I suggested grove because the word appears a few times in their description.

Pack seems too animalistic a word for my concept of them. Pride is a bit better, but they ain't leonine enough for it to be a good fit.

Something that plays on the word "mist" maybe?

A haze of kitsune kasumi?

A cloud of kitsune kasumi?

EDIT: Failing that, I'd be happy with "family" for the collective noun.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
Do we need a "grove dependent" type ability?

Definitely.

Just modify the SRD Dryad's Tree Dependent...

Grove Dependent (Su): A kitsune kasumi is mystically bound to a grove of trees and must never stray more than 300 yards from it. Any who do become ill and die within 4d6 hours, they also sicken and die if all of the trees in the grove are killed. Multiple kitsune kasumi can be dependent on a single grove, forming a family group called a haze. A kitsune's grove does not radiate magic.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Definitely.

Just modify the SRD Dryad's Tree Dependent...

Grove Dependent (Su): A kitsune kasumi is mystically bound to a grove of trees and must never stray more than 300 yards from it. Any who do become ill and die within 4d6 hours, they also sicken and die if all of the trees in the grove are killed. Multiple kitsune kasumi can be dependent on a single grove, forming a family group called a haze. A kitsune's grove does not radiate magic.

Looks good. Do we need to change "grove of trees" to "grove of dead trees"?

Remove ads