Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

Cleon

Legend
DC 20 similar to mummy rot? Maybe +4 to the DC?

I was thinking something like "Hit Dice plus X", but a flat 20 would be OK if you prefer it.

+4 racial bonus to the DC is fine.

Revising...

Death Curse (Su): If a kappa-ti is killed, it inflicts a powerful curse on the creatures that slew it. This curse can affect up to 4 creatures, who must be within 800 feet of the kappa when it dies. If more than 4 creatures helped kill a kappa-ti, the curse targets the 4 who the kappa holds most responsible for its death or, if all are equally culpable, the 4 closest. The targets must succeed at a DC 20 Will save or be cursed with a -4 luck penalty on attack rolls, saves, ability checks, and skill checks. Furthermore, all creatures within 30 ft. of the cursed victim (except for creatures with a hostile attitude to the victim) will take a -1 luck penalty on attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saves, and skill checks until they get beyond 30 feet. A kappa-ti's death curse cannot be dispelled, but it can be removed with a remove curse or similar spell if the caster succeeds at a DC 20 level check [or make it HD + X?]. The save DC is Charisma-based and includes a +4 racial bonus.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Most other critters have a flat DC for level checks like that (see the mummy for instance). The advancement rules allow the DM to bump up things like that, though.

Cleon

Legend
Sure, why not!

Let's see...

Typical Spells Known (6/7/7/5/3; save DC 12 + spell level)
0—spell, spell, spell, spell, spell, spell, spell, spell, 8
1st—spell, spell, spell, spell, spell, 5
2nd—spell, spell, spell, 3
3rd—spell, spell, 2
4th—spell, 1

We'll want some water spells, but not that many are interesting (as in "useful in combat". We've only got create water, water walk, control water, non of which are of much utility to the kappa-ti (except create water, I suppose, if the water it makes is able to energize it's head bowl).

However, I suspect losing its head bowl's water should also prevent it spellcasting, at least going by the folklore - they're supposedly rendered pretty helpless, and retaining 8th level casting ability is hardly helpless.

Shade

Monster Junkie
However, I suspect losing its head bowl's water should also prevent it spellcasting, at least going by the folklore - they're supposedly rendered pretty helpless, and retaining 8th level casting ability is hardly helpless.

Yeah, that would minimize the "helplessness".

Cleon

Legend
Yeah, that would minimize the "helplessness".

We'd better expand the "Headbowl" text then.

So, what spells do you fancy? I'm thinking they would concentrate on self-boosting and foe-impairing spells like bull's strength, true strike, mage armor, bestow curse, ray of enfeeblement, obscuring mist and the like.

Thoughts?

Oh, and do we want to include an "Oriental Adventures" version with wu jen or shukenja spells?

Remove ads