Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Didn't Bruce Heard mention there was an associated skill check for Vitalize?

I do agree with the change to HD from level.

Cleon

Legend
Didn't Bruce Heard mention there was an associated skill check for Vitalize?

I do agree with the change to HD from level.

He said "I'd make this a single target. Each use requires a Skill check. If it fails, the ability is negated for the remainder of the day. Each successful skill check results in the next one incurring a -1 cumulative penalty."

However, each resonance ability only works once per day (or once per resonance accumulation period if that's longer than a day), which conflicts with the multiple "uses" above.

I suggest that when a caprine uses Vitalize they can play for a length of time to affect multiple creatures if they can make the Perform checks.

Hmm…

Vitalize: A caprine with a resonance score of 41 or more can play music that fills living creatures (including the caprine itself) with energy and health. The caprine can play this vitalizing tune for up to 1 round per Hit Dice. Each round it makes a Perform check with a DC of 15 plus +1 per previous check. If it succeeds, it can vitalize a single creature within ## feet and continue playing; if it fails the Perform check the vitalizing tune ends. The target creature can choose to make a Will save (DC 10 plus 1/2 caprine's HD plus caprine's Cha modifier) against the tune, if they succeed they are not vitalized and cannot be targeted again by that vitalizing tune.

While the caprine plays a vitalizing tune, creatures vitalized by it are so full of uninhibited vigor they have difficulty doing anything requiring calm or concentration. They can perform energetic actions such as fighting, dancing or carousing normally, but must succeed at a DC 10 Concentration check to perform actions that require stillness or focus, including spellcasting, Intelligence-based skill checks and Hide, Move Silently or Open Locks checks. Once the vitalizing tune ends, affected creatures can act normally but remain vitalized for 1 hour per HD of the caprine (maximum 24 hours).

Being vitalized immediately removes the fatigue and exhaustion conditions. For each 4 hour period that passes, a vitalized creature recovers 1 hit point per character level and 1 point of ability score damage, just as if they healed naturally for a day. Unlike normal magical healing, vitalize can cure nonlethal damage from starvation or thirst. In addition, a vitalized creature becomes temporarily immune to disease and poison. However, any poison or disease in the creature's system or that it is exposed to during the period of vitality will affect them once the duration has expired (as per delay poison).

freyar

You know, I was going to say it looks a bit complicated, but that's par for the course for these abilities. And I like it!

Covet up next then?
Goatmen of Kavaja said:
Covet: all within a 40' radius desire something or someone in the caprine's presence. A saving throw vs spells negates the effect. Those who fail become obsessed with acquiring the indicated object or gaining the company of the indicated person. How they approach the issue depends entirely on their intelligence (no mass suicides). The effect lasts one day per level of the caprine.
Some hints of charm person there or a harpy's song. What do you think?

freyar

Darn it, yes, I knew there was something closer. In fact, it's not much of a variation. Should we just say it acts like sympathy but with modified duration and no specified alignment? (This is pretty powerful!)

Cleon

Legend
Darn it, yes, I knew there was something closer. In fact, it's not much of a variation. Should we just say it acts like sympathy but with modified duration and no specified alignment? (This is pretty powerful!)

It's feeling a little too powerful. Is there any way we can water it down a tad?

freyar

Yeah, and a caprine with a good ability score could get enough resonance notes starting around 11HD or so. And the effects last longer than sympathy too!

What if we put some conditions that break the enchantment and/or give the victims a lot of chances to save?

Cleon

Legend
Yeah, and a caprine with a good ability score could get enough resonance notes starting around 11HD or so. And the effects last longer than sympathy too!

What if we put some conditions that break the enchantment and/or give the victims a lot of chances to save?

Okay, here's a few ideas:
  1. It only affects the targets within range when the resonance is "cast", anyone entering the area afterwards while the duration is still running is unaffected.
  2. Obviously it doesn't have "but a subsequent save must be made 1d6×10 minutes later. If this save fails, the affected creature attempts to return to the area or object" like the sympathy spell.
  3. Maybe allow resaves each round to shrug off the effect, and it's automatically broken by threatening acts like a charm person spell.
  4. Oh, and maybe have the +5 bonus on saving throws if the target is currently being threatened or attacked, also like charm person.
What thinks thee?

freyar

All of the above, I think. I guess I would reduce the re-saves to once every few hours (since once per round is really crazy for a duration of days!). Would that nerf it enough?

Cleon

Legend
All of the above, I think. I guess I would reduce the re-saves to once every few hours (since once per round is really crazy for a duration of days!). Would that nerf it enough?

Yes, instead of every round it could be a resave whenever something that might distract them from the coveting?

Maybe we should shorten the duration? A day per level is ridiculous. Even sympathy only lasts 2 hours a level.

I suspect the exceptionally long duration is the fault of how long charm person lasted in early editions, which depended on the Intelligence score of the target.

In 1E AD&D it was:

Intelligence ScorePeriod Between Checks
3 or less3 months
4 to 62 months
7 to 91 month
10 to 123 weeks
13 to 142 weeks
15 to 161 week
173 days
182 days
19 or more1 day

In BECMI the table depended on what version of the rules you used.

For example, the 1977 Basic Game used a similar table to the above with some slightly different numbers:

IntelligenceNew Saving throw every:
3-6month
7-9three weeks
10-11two weeks
12-15one week
16-17two days
18 or moreday

While the Rules Cyclopedia simplified it to:

If the Victim Has:He Saves Every
High Intelligence (13-18):1 day
Average Intelligence (9-12):1 week
Low Intelligence (3-8):1 month

So even a genius only saves once every day if charmed in early edition games.

In 3E however, a charm person spell just lasts 1 hour per level no matter how smart the victim is.

Incidentally, the sympathy spell lasts 2 hours/level in AD&D just like it does in 3E.

So I'm thinking we should reduce the duration. Maybe make it last an hour per level of the caprine?

It also needs a bit of clarification of what "coveting" means.

If it makes an evil creature want to possess the target, does that prevent the malevolent being from trying to harm them provided the target doesn't threaten them? Could a creature attack a coveted object that "rejects their affections" in a non violent manner?

I'm thinking not, with it working like the old "prince/princess captured by a tyrant who wants their prisoner to love them" trope.

Does covet provide any other benefits, such as bonuses on Diplomacy roles to trick or deceive the coveting creatures? Or is the target of the coveting creatures merely protected from harm in a fashion similar to sanctuary.

Hmm, is there any wording from sanctuary that'd be useful for this resonance power?

Remove ads