Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

Cleon

Legend
OK, that looks fine.

Just noticed, under "Resonance Abilities" it says "Even while using bardic music that doesn’t require concentration" (my italics). Shouldn't the italicized bardic music be resonance?

Oops! A copy-paste hangover. I'll just correct the Resonance Working Draft.

Which one next, covet?

This doesn't seem to require playing an instrument, etc. But do we want to make the caprine take some kind of action?

If you like, but isn't vitalize the next one on the Resonance Abilities Table?

…hmm, that's odd. The table lists vitalize as a resonance ability but there's no ability description. Let me just check the original pdf I downloaded from Bruce Heard's website… no, there's no explanation of the ability there either.

I guess we could always email Mr Heard and ask him? Failing that, we'll have to make something up! My best guess is it's some kind of ability boosting power similar to divine power, greater heroism or righteous might.

Getting back to covet, it looks like a variation on the sympathy spell to me.

I'd have it require at least a standard action, since "starting a resonance effect is a standard action". The spell sympathy has a casting time of 1 hour in 3E!

Cleon

Legend
If you like, but isn't vitalize the next one on the Resonance Abilities Table?

…hmm, that's odd. The table lists vitalize as a resonance ability but there's no ability description. Let me just check the original pdf I downloaded from Bruce Heard's website… no, there's no explanation of the ability there either.

I guess we could always email Mr Heard and ask him? Failing that, we'll have to make something up! My best guess is it's some kind of ability boosting power similar to divine power, greater heroism or righteous might.

Come to think of it, isn't there a potion of vitality magic item?

Let's see… yes there is such a thing as a potion of vitality, which apparently exists in the 2E, 4E and 5E systems but I can't find any mention of it being a BECMI magic item.

The 2E AD&D version is in the DMG as follows:

Vitality: This potion restores the user to full vitality despite exertion, lack of sleep, and going without food and drink for up to seven days. It will nullify up to seven days of deprivation, and will continue in effect for the remainder of its seven-day duration. The potion also makes the user proof against poison and disease while it is in effect, and the user will recover lost hit points at the rate of 1 every 4 hours.
XP Value: 300

By comparison, the 5E potion of vitality (which is also a DMG magic item) is more useful, as it also cures all diseases and poisons:

5E Potion of Vitality: Crimson liquid that pulses like a heartbeat with dull light. When drunk, a creature’s exhaustion is removed and any diseases or poison effects are cured. For the next 24 hours, the creature regains the maximum number of HP for any Hit Die spent.
Very Rare; Price 5,001-50,000 gp, Minimum Level 11, Crafting 400 days & 10,000gp.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Let's start with vitalize, I guess. I like blending the 2E and 5E versions: make it remove exhaustion or similar conditions and make the user immune to poison and disease for 24 hours. Maybe some kind of hp renewal, too. How does that sound?

Cleon

Legend
Let's start with vitalize, I guess. I like blending the 2E and 5E versions: make it remove exhaustion or similar conditions and make the user immune to poison and disease for 24 hours. Maybe some kind of hp renewal, too. How does that sound?

Well that's what I was thinking of, something like:

Vitalize: A caprine with a resonance score of 41 or more can play a tune that fills a single creature (who may be the caprine itself [?]) with energy and health. This immediately removes the fatigue and exhaustion conditions. Over the next 24 hours, for each 4 hour period that passes the creature recovers 1 hit point per character level and 1 point of ability score damage as if they had naturally healed for a day. Unlike normal magical healing, this ability can cure nonlethal damage from starvation or thirst. In addition, the creature becomes temporarily immune to disease and poison, although any poison or disease in its system or that they are exposed to during the 24 hours will affect them once the vitalize ability's duration has expired.

That said we might be way off with our interpretation of Bruce Heard's intent.

freyar

I think this is pretty good, and it seems reasonable compared to what he wrote you. One question about the poison: do you mean to make it like delay poison? That is, a poison doesn't "expire"? In that case, should we mention the spell?

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
I think this is pretty good, and it seems reasonable compared to what he wrote you. One question about the poison: do you mean to make it like delay poison? That is, a poison doesn't "expire"? In that case, should we mention the spell?

Yes I did mean like delay poison, indeed the wording was cribbed from the SRD spell.

Wondered about referring to the spell, but in the end it seemed surplus to requirements. Would be fine adding a "(like the delay poison spell)" at the end.

So is this one done once that is added, or should we consider allowing the goatkin to affect multiple creatures if its CL is high? That'd likely be a matter of adding "A caprine of caster level X can vitalize more creatures, up to one creature per Y caster levels (max Z)." then setting, say X to 10th, Y to 5 and Z to 4, or perhaps X = 8th, Y = 4 and Z = 5?

freyar

Bruce Heard said single target, so let's just leave it at a single target. I think I'd actually drop the last clause starting "although" to make it more like neutralize poison than delay poison. I don't mind one way or another about mentioning the spell at the end, though. But then I think it's done with that.

Cleon

Legend
Bruce Heard said single target, so let's just leave it at a single target. I think I'd actually drop the last clause starting "although" to make it more like neutralize poison than delay poison. I don't mind one way or another about mentioning the spell at the end, though. But then I think it's done with that.

Hurr… are you proposing to make it a combination of neutralize poison and remove disease while also providing healing and relief from starvation/fatigue? That sounds too powerful for this level of resonance ability.

The killer cheese is roughly equivalent to a fireball so I think we should aim for something roughly on par with a 3rd-level or maybe 4th-level spell.

Indeed, I'm thinking I might be a bit too generous with the previous version, and am thinking we should make the duration level-dependent.

i.e.:

Vitalize: A caprine with a resonance score of 41 or more can play a tune that fills a single creature (who may be the caprine itself) with energy and health. This immediately removes the fatigue and exhaustion conditions. Vitalize lasts for 4 hours plus 4 hours per 4 HD of the caprine (maximum 24 hours). For each 4 hour period that passes, the vitalized creature recovers 1 hit point per character level and 1 point of ability score damage, just as if they had healed naturally for a day. Unlike normal magical healing, vitalize can cure nonlethal damage from starvation or thirst. In addition, the creature becomes temporarily immune to disease and poison. However, any poison or disease in the creature's system or that it is exposed to during the period of vitality will affect them once the duration has expired (as per delay poison).

freyar

Fair enough, nerfing is fine.

Was there supposed to be a skill check to get this to work? I guess it would need to be fixed DC because I don't see what would oppose it.

Cleon

Legend
Fair enough, nerfing is fine.

Agreed.

Was there supposed to be a skill check to get this to work? I guess it would need to be fixed DC because I don't see what would oppose it.

I don't believe so. It's just Hit Dice dependent like some of its other resonance powers.

Speaking of which, I notice a couple of spots in the Resonance Working Draft which have a "level" that should be "HD", namely:

Fascinate: A caprine with a resonance score of 11 or more can enrapture creatures by playing a musical instrument. The music affects all non-allies within 40 feet. Affected creatures must see and hear the caprine play and be able to pay attention to the performance. The caprine must also be able to see the creature. Distractions such as combat or other dangers prevent the ability working. Affected creatures must succeed at a Will save (DC 10 + ½ caprine's level + caprine's Cha modifier) or be fascinated for as long as the caprine continues to play and concentrate, up to a maximum of 1 round per level of the caprine. Any potential threat allows affected creatures a new saving throw. Any obvious threat, such as someone drawing a weapon, casting a spell, or aiming a weapon at the target, automatically breaks the effect. This is a mind-affecting sonic enchantment (compulsion) ability.
Taunt: All enemies within 40 feet of the caprine must succeed on a Will saving throw (DC 10 + ½ caprine's level + caprine's Cha modifier) or become enraged.

I'll amend them to Hit Dice or HD.

Remove ads