Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Point taken. I like your idea of making them incorporeal rather than ethereal. I'm also ok with either fixing a speed at 10-20 miles/hr or going with 5x walking pace. It might be easier for the DM to deal with a group at a fixed speed, but I guess everyone's used to just going as fast as the slowest one anyway.

Cleon

Legend
Let's write out a rough draft then.

How's this:

March to War: A caprine with a resonance score of 71 or more can play a tune on a musical instrument that partially shifts creatures into the Ethereal Plane. The tune shifts the caprine plus up to 4 Hit Dice worth of creatures per HD of the caprine who are within 40 feet of the goatkin. The caprine chooses what order the tune shifts creatures in, an unwilling target is allowed a Will save (DC 10 + ½ caprine's HD + caprine's Cha modifier) to avoid shifting. A marching creature is incorporeal and invisible to creatures on the Prime Material Plane, fully material and visible to creatures on the Ethereal Plane, and moves at five times its normal land speed (i.e. 15 miles per hour for a 30 ft. speed). Other forms of movement, such as flight, are not increased by March to War.​
This resonance power lasts for as long as the caprine continues to play. If a creature ever moves more than 40 ft. from the caprine, its marching effect immediately ends and the creature becomes visible and corporeal. Effects that interfere with interdimensional travel, such as the dimensional lock spell, will interfere with March to War.​
Empowerment: A caprine can use empower spell magnitude on this resonance power. For every 2 empowerment points it expends it can affect one additional creature of any Hit Dice.​

I think that covers everything salient.

Oh, and for convenience here are links to the Caprine Working Draft and Resonance Working Draft.

It's been pages ago since I had a Capring Working Draft link on this thread.

freyar

Someday, we will have to figure out the most complicated/involved critters we ever converted. These various Kavajans are definitely up there.

Anyway, I'm happy enough with March to War as you have it there.
Are we down to Sound of Death?

Cleon

Legend
Someday, we will have to figure out the most complicated/involved critters we ever converted. These various Kavajans are definitely up there.

Most complicated as in how the final conversion turned out, or most complicated to figure out? Some of our critters were really hard to decide how to interpret and we spent a lot of time figuring out how to stat them up.

For example, the Tombheart took an awful long time to finish because we couldn't decide how its HD should match its associated Tomb Wardens, but the final monster isn't that complicated.

Indeed, I recall us abandoning a conversion because we couldn't get a handle on it in hard 3E rules terms, although I can't recall for sure what it was called. I vaguely remember it being some kind of man-eating stained glass window.

Anyway, I'm happy enough with March to War as you have it there.

Agreed, updating the Resonance Working Draft.

Are we down to Sound of Death?

Yes, here's the original text:

Sound of Death: as long as the caprine keeps playing his heart-wrenching cacophony without being interrupted, all foes within 40' suffer damage equivalent to 10% of their total hit points per round (no save). It is a difficult and demanding dissonant tune tapping into the caprine's own life force, reducing his hit points 1d4 each round. If he does not play all ten rounds of the tune, the caprine permanently loses a point of Constitution. If he does complete it, the ethereal harmony is disturbed and no other abilities are therefore available until the caprine starts accumulating resonance once more.​

That's the last of the Resonance powers, so the end is coming into sight! Hopefully the AC, skills, feats and background text won't take very long.

Oh, and there's a little work on the Caprines as Characters section to do.

Cleon

Legend
Sound of Death: as long as the caprine keeps playing his heart-wrenching cacophony without being interrupted, all foes within 40' suffer damage equivalent to 10% of their total hit points per round (no save). It is a difficult and demanding dissonant tune tapping into the caprine's own life force, reducing his hit points 1d4 each round. If he does not play all ten rounds of the tune, the caprine permanently loses a point of Constitution. If he does complete it, the ethereal harmony is disturbed and no other abilities are therefore available until the caprine starts accumulating resonance once more.

Okay, so this seems pretty straightforward mechanically.

Here's a start:

Sound of Death: The caprine plays a terrible cacophany on a musical instrument. This heart-wrenching sound lasts 10 rounds and can affect all living creatures within a radius of 40 feet from the caprine who can hear the tune. The caprine can tune a sound of death so it affects or spares particular creatures, specifying what individuals, races or species the sound harms or does not harm. Each round, all creatures affected by the tune takes damage equal to one-tenth their total hit points (rounded up, no saving throw) and the caprine itself takes 1d8 [?] hit points of damage. On the final tenth round, any affected creature that is reduced to 0 or negative hit points by the sound of death (excluding the caprine) will automatically die.​
If the caprine is forced to stop playing the sound of death before the tune finished on the 10th round, the caprine takes 1d3 Constitution drain damage with no saving throw.​
Sound of Death is a sonic death effect.​

I increased the damage the caprine takes from playing the sound since hit points and Con damage are of way less impact in 3E D&D than BECMI.

I'm tempted to add a rule that bards can countersong the tune as it seems appropriate. Maybe:

A bard can use countersong to oppose the sound of death. The bard makes a Perform check against a Perform check made by the caprine. If the bard's Perform check result is equal or higher than the caprine's, creatures protected by their countersong takes no damage from hearing the sound of death (the caprine still takes damage from playing the tune).​

Cleon

Legend
Just noticed a problem:

Vitalize: A caprine with a resonance score of 41 or more can play music that fills living creatures (including the caprine itself) with energy and health. The caprine can play this vitalizing tune for up to 1 round per Hit Dice. Each round it makes a Perform check with a DC of 15 plus +1 per previous check. If it succeeds, it can vitalize a single creature within ## feet and continue playing; if it fails the Perform check the vitalizing tune ends. The target creature can choose to make a Will save (DC 10 plus 1/2 caprine's HD plus caprine's Cha modifier) against the tune, if they succeed they are not vitalized and cannot be targeted again by that vitalizing tune.

We forgot to give a range for Vitalize!

How about 40 feet, as that appears to be the standard range of Resonance powers?

freyar

Yes to a 40 ft range for Vitalize.

I generally like the Sound of Death draft, but it probably could use some tweaks. For one, it needs the minimum resonance score of 100 listed. I'm ok with the increased damage to the caprine; you're right about the hp costs. I have to think about the countersong. It makes sense other than the fact that the original intent seems to be that the cost to the caprine makes it impossible to resist other than by getting out of range. Actually, that leads to a question: shouldn't we specify that it requires concentration to maintain the tune?

What I don't like is the 10% of hp off of the victims. It's just NOT how 3.X generally works. But I have to think of a good alternative.

Cleon

Legend
Yes to a 40 ft range for Vitalize.

Updated the Resonance Working Draft.

I generally like the Sound of Death draft, but it probably could use some tweaks. For one, it needs the minimum resonance score of 100 listed. I'm ok with the increased damage to the caprine; you're right about the hp costs. I have to think about the countersong. It makes sense other than the fact that the original intent seems to be that the cost to the caprine makes it impossible to resist other than by getting out of range. Actually, that leads to a question: shouldn't we specify that it requires concentration to maintain the tune?

Okay, so that'd give us:

Sound of Death #2: A caprine with a resonance score of 101 or more can play a terrible cacophany on a musical instrument. This heart-wrenching sound lasts 10 rounds and can affect all living creatures within a radius of 40 feet from the caprine who can hear the tune. The caprine can tune a sound of death so it affects or spares particular creatures, specifying what individuals, races or species the sound harms or does not harm. Each round, all creatures affected by the tune takes [damage?] and the caprine itself takes 1d8 [?] hit points of damage. On the final tenth round, any affected creature that is [reduced to 0 or negative hit points?] by the sound of death (excluding the caprine) will automatically die.​
If the caprine is forced to stop playing the sound of death before the tune finished on the 10th round, the caprine takes 1d3 Constitution drain damage with no saving throw.​
[Bardic countersong?]​
Sound of Death is a sonic death effect.​

We need to agree on the damage and what, if any, effect countersong has on it.

Last edited:

freyar

Also, we need to change the resonance score from 11 to 101. ;)

Let's go with 1d8 hp damage to the caprine, sure. My gut ways negative levels make sense for this, but they have a very different effect than losing hp. I don't know, what if we pick a large randomized amount of hp damage per round for the victims?

Cleon

Legend
Also, we need to change the resonance score from 11 to 101. ;)

Huh, sure I put a 0 in the middle there.

Never mind, easily fixed.

Let's go with 1d8 hp damage to the caprine, sure. My gut ways negative levels make sense for this, but they have a very different effect than losing hp. I don't know, what if we pick a large randomized amount of hp damage per round for the victims?

If we used a large randomized damage then it'd kill cannon fodder in the first round but resilient creatures would take a long time or even (if they were ridiculously hardy) only take a fraction of their hp.

The original intent was clearly it whittles them down slowly and is fatal at the end of the tune, knocking off a tenth of their life per round until the 10 round turn is finished.

Remove ads