Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I like an hour per level duration. To nerf it a little, what if there is a new save every hour or if prompted (by threatening acts, etc)?

I agree with you that a subject of covet would not attempt to harm the object/person they covet, though they might anyone else who covets the same object. I don't think I'd give any other benefits to the coveted character or object --- this is a powerful ability already!

Can the caprine make itself the coveted creature?

Cleon

Legend
I like an hour per level duration. To nerf it a little, what if there is a new save every hour or if prompted (by threatening acts, etc)?

Yes, that'd work. Maybe with a +5 to save for threatening acts as per charm person?

I agree with you that a subject of covet would not attempt to harm the object/person they covet, though they might anyone else who covets the same object. I don't think I'd give any other benefits to the coveted character or object --- this is a powerful ability already!

Well I'd have them not be able to initiate attacks against the subject of their coveting but they ought to be allowed to defend themselves.

Can the caprine make itself the coveted creature?

Hmm, the wording in "something or someone in the caprine's presence" which implies it could exclude the caprine itself, since how can it be in its own presence?

Contrariwise, the caprine indicates a "something" and every sentient within range must save versus spells or start wanting the something, so the caprine could "point to itself" to become covetable.

Which do you prefer?

freyar

Yes, that'd work. Maybe with a +5 to save for threatening acts as per charm person?

Well I'd have them not be able to initiate attacks against the subject of their coveting but they ought to be allowed to defend themselves.
I'd agree to both of those proposals.

Hmm, the wording in "something or someone in the caprine's presence" which implies it could exclude the caprine itself, since how can it be in its own presence?

Contrariwise, the caprine indicates a "something" and every sentient within range must save versus spells or start wanting the something, so the caprine could "point to itself" to become covetable.

Which do you prefer?
Yeah, I could go either way on this. I kind of have the feeling that a caprine would always indicate itself if that's allowed. Maybe it's more interesting not to allow that.

Cleon

Legend
I'd agree to both of those proposals.

Good.

Yeah, I could go either way on this. I kind of have the feeling that a caprine would always indicate itself if that's allowed. Maybe it's more interesting not to allow that.

Maybe we should just use the original wording of "indicate" which'll allow the possibility of it not being usable on the self without specifying that since it's not explicit in the original.

It'd also be odd, since most ranged spells and SLA abilities that can target another creature can be cast on yourself.

Let's bite the bullet and rough something out…

Cleon

Legend
Covet: A caprine with a resonance score of 71 or more can use alluring music to give all creatures within 40 feet (except the caprine itself) an irrational desire for something or someone within 10 feet [?] of the caprine. The creatures must succeed at a Will save (DC 10 + ½ caprine's HD + caprine's Cha modifier) or begin coveting the object or creature indicated by the caprine. The effect lasts for 1 hour per Hit Dice of the caprine. Affected creatures may make additional Will saves (same DC) to shake off the effects every hour or if they are endangered by the resonance effect (with a +5 bonus on their save if whatever they covet threatens them). If they fail this save, an affected creature cannot initiate attacks against a coveted creature but may defend themselves from it.

How affected creatures act on the desires raised by covet depends on their alignment and personality: an evil being may want to molest or control the coveted target, while a good creature may try to woo or protect it. Coveting creatures will compete with each other to possess the target but will not act against their basic nature. Thus, close friends or good-natured allies will use persuasion, bribes, tricks or non-lethal force rather than try to kill or cripple their rivals.

This is a mind-affecting sonic compulsion ability.

Cleon

Legend
Covet: A caprine with a resonance score of 71 or more can use alluring music to give all creatures within 40 feet (except the caprine itself) an irrational desire for something or someone within 10 feet [?] of the caprine.

Wasn't sure how far away being in the caprine's "presence" should be so went for Long Reach.

Alternatively, we could make it 40 ft. like the effect radius and change it to "an irrational desire for something or someone within the affected area."

Any preferences?

freyar

I like the 10 ft "range" for the indicated item. I also really like how you've described the effects --- hard for me to pick at this one!

Are you ready to move to the next one?

Cleon

Legend
I like the 10 ft "range" for the indicated item. I also really like how you've described the effects --- hard for me to pick at this one!

Updating the Resonance Working Draft.

I fused the single-line last paragraph into the previous paragraph, as it looked lonesome by itself.

Are you ready to move to the next one?

Sure, that'll be March to War.

The original text is:

March to War: causes 4 HD-worth of creatures per level of the caprine, and within a 40' radius, to fade into the ethereal plane along with the caprine. Unwilling creatures may save vs. spells to avoid the effect.​
The effect lasts as long as the caprine keeps playing his music, after which everyone reappears in the Prime Plane. Anyone straying more than 40' from the caprine immediately reappears. While in the ethereal, the caprine may march as he plays. A successful attack will cause him to stop playing his music. Can be empowered.​

I'd already made a suggestion as to a comparable spell, which still seems valid:

I'd be inclined to make it nastier than that. The previous resonance rank's March to War is roughly equivalent to the spell shadow walk, which is a 6th-level spell (for Wizards/Sorcerers, it's 5th-level for Bards).

Having it be limited by the Hit Dice of the targets is a curious quirk that I'm tempted to retain, although it'd be a bit more "standard 3.5" to have it be a number of creatures.

Making it 4×HD like the original means a high-HD caprine could yonk scores of weak followers through the ether or four of the same HD as them.

Curiously, the original text does not specify what speed they're moving at when Marching to War, but I'd assume it's faster than their normal rates otherwise it's a lot less useful. Although etherealness does have some applications even if they're just travelling at the normal forced march rate.

Hmm, maybe it's some multiple of their forced march rate, but this magical marching is not more tiring like a mundane forced march is?

freyar

I think I'd probably make it a better version of shadow walk. Same 50 mi/hr but minus the random return location (b/c no shadowy weirdness). I think I do like the 4xHD limit, even if it is a little harder to calculate. Duration is as long as the caprine can play, then you end up back in the Material Plane. I guess the "wandering away from the caster" penalty is a bit different, too.

Cleon

Legend
I think I'd probably make it a better version of shadow walk. Same 50 mi/hr but minus the random return location (b/c no shadowy weirdness). I think I do like the 4xHD limit, even if it is a little harder to calculate. Duration is as long as the caprine can play, then you end up back in the Material Plane. I guess the "wandering away from the caster" penalty is a bit different, too.

Bear in mind that while shadow walk is a 5th-level Bard spell (or 6th-level for Sor/Wiz) and allows 1 creature/CL to travel for 1 hour/CL, etherealness is 9th-level and affects the caster plus one creature per three CLs for 1 minute/CL. Even ethereal jaunt is 7th-level and only allows the caster to travel for a round per CL.

That suggests moving ethereally is a far more difficult magic than traversing the Plane of Shadows.

I think March to War ought to be more limited than your suggestion to maintain some vague parity with the spells.

There's no mention in the resonance descreption of the marchers being able to move up or down through thin air or pass through solid objects, so maybe they don't completely enter the ethereal plane and and incorporeal rather than ethereal, which makes also them invisible to Prime Material creatures?

I'm OK for creatures to could travel faster than their normal hourly movement rate while under March to War, but 50 mph is too fast for my tastes.

Let's see, an average PC can hustle at 4 or 6 miles an hour, depending on whether they have a 20 ft. or 30 ft. base speed, or half that speed if they're walking normally. That means shadow walk is 10 or 20 times faster than a typical humanoid can travel, plus there's no risk of them tiring.

Somewhere around 10 or 20 miles an hour is more to my tastes.

As previously mentioned, I wouldn't mind making it based on the characters actual speed rather than it being a set speed à la shadow walk. How about having them move five times their walking pace (i.e. 15 miles per hour for a speed 30 ft. creature).

Oh, and I'd only have it multiply the recipient's land speed. It's March to War, not Fly to War!

Remove ads