• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Planescape monsters

Cleon

Legend
I think the problem we're having is filling in the ends of the cone differently when we approximate them by triangles. I'm taking the "length of the cone" to be the height of the triangle and adding extra area, whereas you're taking the length of the cone to be side of the triangle and cutting off a small segment at the end of the cone. It might partly be because the AD&D text and 3.5e rules seem to describe the cones in different ways.

Well they're different shapes - standard 3E cone are quarter-circles or approximately a 90-degree triangle. The AD&D cone is half as wide as it is long, so it's approximately a 30-degree triangle.

OK, let's see. I guess the point is that we should really compare the area of the circular segment areas. I get that the side of the AD&D triangle, which from my reading has height 60 ft, is about 62 ft. The opening angle of the cone is 2 times arctan(15/60). Meanwhile, the 3.5e cone has opening angle \pi/2 in radians, so the areas are the same if the 3.5 cone has radius of about 35 ft. (That's throwing it into my calculator.) So I guess we can choose either 30 ft or 40 ft for the size of our cone. :confused:

Rereading the original entry it describes the focused area as "conelike". It also quite clearly has twice the range of the "unfocused" emanation.

Why don't you want it to have an increased range when focused? Just make it double the "heat draining aura" radius.

Most AD&D conversions of cone attacks keep pretty close the original's range and don't bother that this usually gives them a larger area of effect.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
The cone already has increased damage, so it shouldn't probably have an area as big as the regular aura. Still, I can go for a 40 ft cone compared to a 30 ft aura.

Cleon

Legend
The cone already has increased damage, so it shouldn't probably have an area as big as the regular aura. Still, I can go for a 40 ft cone compared to a 30 ft aura.

The regular aura is free, the cone is a standard action. So it's doing slam damage while it's using its aura, which could result in higher damage.

Further, we're having the area vary with size/power rather than being a set value, so "40 ft cone compared to a 30 ft aura" would only work at certain sizes. You'd be better off with something like +50% or +100% radius for the aura (e.g. 30 ft. and either 45 ft. or 60 ft.).

freyar

The aura is on continuously, whichever shape it takes. It's only reshaping it that requires an action.

But yes, I did mean to increase it over the spherical aura with each size category. a 50% boost is ok, but we should probably make a table. ;)

Cleon

Legend
The aura is on continuously, whichever shape it takes. It's only reshaping it that requires an action.

Where do you get that from? There's nothing in the original version about the focused conical effect being continuous. Further, it appears to say the conical "focus" is in addition to the spherical effect, rather that a reshaping:

From Dragon #128
While not cold in themselves, Ash quasi-elementals suck up the heat from their surroundings, so that all within 30’ suffer 1-6 hp damage from heat loss for each round. Creatures which are cold-based (though not those which are cold-blooded) are immune to this effect. In addition, the Ash quasi-elemental can narrow the focus of this draining effect to a cone 60’ Long and 30’ across at the base.

Does that "In addition" mean the damage from the 30' radius aura and the "focused" cone stack together?

But yes, I did mean to increase it over the spherical aura with each size category. a 50% boost is ok, but we should probably make a table. ;)

I'd prefer a 100% range boost.

freyar

Hmmm. I wish the "in addition" meant that they stack, since then we could just give them an aura plus a breath weapon. But I'm pretty sure "narrow the focus" means that they can't have the spherical aura while they have the cone (otherwise, it wouldn't be narrowing something). My reading of that was that it could change between shapes as it likes. However, I can see an interpretation that it continuously has the spherical aura which it can swap to a cone for just a single action. How do you prefer it?

Let's figure that out before working on the range again.

Cleon

Legend
Hmmm. I wish the "in addition" meant that they stack, since then we could just give them an aura plus a breath weapon. But I'm pretty sure "narrow the focus" means that they can't have the spherical aura while they have the cone (otherwise, it wouldn't be narrowing something). My reading of that was that it could change between shapes as it likes. However, I can see an interpretation that it continuously has the spherical aura which it can swap to a cone for just a single action. How do you prefer it?

Let's figure that out before working on the range again.

Well if you wish it to work that way, I have no objection to making it so!

I wouldn't call it a "breath weapon", but it could easily work like one.

freyar

Which version do you prefer?
1) Switches between spherical aura and cone
2) Continuous spherical aura, which turns off for 1 round(?) in order for the quasi to use a cone like a "breath weapon."

Cleon

Legend
Which version do you prefer?
1) Switches between spherical aura and cone
2) Continuous spherical aura, which turns off for 1 round(?) in order for the quasi to use a cone like a "breath weapon."

How do those differ?

What about the third option?

3) Continuous spherical aura, plus cone like a "breath weapon" as a standard action.

freyar

I thought we'd ruled out option 3 already.

How do option 1 and 2 differ? Let me count the ways... ;)
Option 1 allows them to switch between shapes as some type of action and maintain the given shape with no cost. One shape or the other is always on. Option 2 requires an action to use, gives the cone as an instantaneous blast, and turns off the spherical aura for a short while. This also contrasts with option 3, which adds the cone on top of the sphere for a short blast without affecting the sphere.

Anyway, my reading of the original monster is closest to option 1, but I could be persuaded to go with another option.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads