Converting Planescape monsters

Shade

Monster Junkie
Yes, some variant on Fling seems the best way to go. Although, being a supernatural gravity-manipulation effect it presumably isn't limited by weight (or, rather, mass). Might only affect objects up to a certain volume, though. Perhaps a 10 foot or 15 foot cube? (e.g. Huge creatures or less).

Well, Su doesn't necessarily rule out a weight limit (see telekinetic effects), but I'm not sure we need one.

Cleon

Legend
Well, Su doesn't necessarily rule out a weight limit (see telekinetic effects), but I'm not sure we need one.

Ah, but if it works like a gravity field, the acceleration will be the same regardless of the mass of the object - like in the classic "feather and lead shot" experiment.

I'm thinking the "artificial gravity field" the Ni'iath generates will only be able to affect a limited area though, so only creatures that can fit mostly inside the area-of-effect will be flung.

Presumably that's why the reverse gravity spell works the way it does, affecting all creatures within its Area, without a weight limit.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Since it seems to need to "grab on" with its tail, I wouldn't say the attack affects everything within a volume. But up to a certain size (Huge is ok) creature/object sounds good to me.

Cleon

Legend
Since it seems to need to "grab on" with its tail, I wouldn't say the attack affects everything within a volume. But up to a certain size (Huge is ok) creature/object sounds good to me.

Well, I was thinking it would be more likely to affect a single target hit by its tail-slap, provided the object or creature hit wasn't too big.

freyar

Seems we're agreed then. Someone can work out the fling (or whatever we'll call it). Who knows, I might even get to it later. ;)

freyar

You know, we should also bang out the abilities, so we can get a homebrews going.

Actually, I'm not certain what triggers this attack. I'm going to say a crit, since the original asks for an attack roll 4 better than needed to hit. If we want, we can expand the threat range on the normal tail attack. :devil: Also, is the regular attack going to be a "tail" or a "tail barb"? I went with the latter.

"Gravity Fling"?? (Su): On a successful critical hit with its tail barb attack against an object or creature of Huge size or less, a ni'iath may fling its victim up to 100 ft in any direction. During its flight, the flung object or creature feels no effects of gravity. However, at the end of its flight, it again becomes sensitive to gravity and may take falling damage. Alternately, the flung creature or object may hit another object before flying for 100 ft; in this case, the effect ends, but both the flung victim and the object it hits take 1d6? bludgeoning damage. A ni'iath will choose the direction to throw the victim strategically to deliver a large amount of damage without giving the victim too great a chance to escape. If no such strategic direction exists, determine the direction randomly.

We might want to change the numbers in there too.

Cleon

Legend
You know, we should also bang out the abilities, so we can get a homebrews going.

Actually, I'm not certain what triggers this attack. I'm going to say a crit, since the original asks for an attack roll 4 better than needed to hit. If we want, we can expand the threat range on the normal tail attack. :devil: Also, is the regular attack going to be a "tail" or a "tail barb"? I went with the latter.

Yes, I'm thinking an 18-20 crit range or thereabouts.

However, I prefer plain "tail" to "tail-barb".

The rough draft looks like it could do with some cleaning up, though. The bit about which direction it throws its victim might belong in tactics more than the Special Attack writeup. What do you think of this...

"Gravity Fling"?? (Su):
A ni'iath's tail-barb can create a gravity-manipulation field similar to the reverse gravity spell. If a ni'iath scores a critical hit on an object or creature of up to Huge size, the target is flung 100 ft. away (no save or critical confirmation roll necessary). The ni'iath can gravity fling the target in whatever direction it chooses, if no strategically desirable direction exists the ni'iath flings the target in a random direction. During its flight, the flung object or creature feels no effects of gravity. At the end of its flight, the target again becomes sensitive to gravity and may take falling damage. The effect ends if the flung target hits an obstacle before travelling for 100 ft, but both the flung victim and the obstacle take 1d6? bludgeoning damage.

Tactics Bit:
Ni'iath always prefer to damage opponents by gravity flinging them into a nearby object or another enemy. Ni'iaths never fling opponents off cliffs or into hazards or concealment (sinkholes, dense fog, et cetera), since they wish to recover the body later to be devoured.

Shade

Monster Junkie
The ability is shaping up nicely, but "Gravity Fling" sounds like something that occurs in an erotic Sci-fi flick. :p

freyar

Feel free to suggest a name. :)

I'm fine with specifying no save, but the bit about no crit confirmation contradicts the bit about a successful crit. I'm not sure I want to let it do this on any threat....

What do you think about damage on hitting something?

Remove ads