Converting Planescape monsters

Cleon

Legend
Feel free to suggest a name. :)

I'm trying to come up with something with more sordid implications than "Gravity Fling" but wasn't having much luck.

Tail Fling... Flinging Whiplash?... Flinging Whiplash Tail Barb?

Gravity Projectile?

I'm fine with specifying no save, but the bit about no crit confirmation contradicts the bit about a successful crit. I'm not sure I want to let it do this on any threat....

That's why it's in red, I though it still needed some work.

What do you think about damage on hitting something?

I'm thinking it ought to be similar to the tail damage.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Setting the damage equal to the tail damage is ok. But I think the tail damage sounds like it should be piercing.

Shade, any thoughts on crit vs threat? I think I prefer it working only on a crit but giving it some expanded threat range, like 18-20.

Cleon

Legend
Setting the damage equal to the tail damage is ok. But I think the tail damage sounds like it should be piercing.

Well if it's a barb, we could make it a tail sting like a Monstrous Scorpion or Bone Devil.

Shade, any thoughts on crit vs threat? I think I prefer it working only on a crit but giving it some expanded threat range, like 18-20.

I though we we're already agreed on an expanded threat range, although I'm leaning towards 17-20 now.

Oh, and I prefer the fling to work on a threatened critical without requiring confirmation.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I have to go with the successful rather than threatened crit, too. But even 17-20 is fine by me. That's essentially 20% of hits, which should be good enough.

Cleon

Legend
I have to go with the successful rather than threatened crit, too. But even 17-20 is fine by me. That's essentially 20% of hits, which should be good enough.

Hmm, I'd prefer it to happen on a roll of 17-20 and give its tail a normal crit. There are weapon properties (e.g. vorpal) that happen on particular hit rolls but which aren't technically crits.

Failing that, we could go back to it occuring on all hits and give the target a saving throw of some kind (Reflex maybe, to represent it grabbing hold of something in time not to fall? or Fort, like the save vs Windstorm?).

Although if it comes to the pinch I could go with a successful critical, I just don't like a 17-20 threat range for them that much. The original description doesn't have a super-lethal tail as far as I can tell.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I like the extended threat range, but then again I'm a big fan of critical hits. ;)

I'd settle for every hit/Will save though, since telekinesis allows a Will save.

Remove ads