• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Planescape Converting Planescape monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Just about finished. I'd rate the CR at 4.

LA should be +8:

+2 for fly speed w/good maneuverability
+1 for nat armor
+1 for more nat attacks than a comparable fighter would have w/weapons
+1 for 3 or more bonuses to skills
+1 for spell resistance
+1 for "at will" spell-likes
+1 for unbalanced ability scores

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
I'll go with CR 4, though they could be as high as 5 I guess.

Knight Otu said:
I see an average maneuverability.

if that makes a difference, we can go with LA +7?

Opinions on the rest of these values?:

Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft, legend lore, lore keeper, spell-like abilities, spell resistance (17+), superior low-light vision, telepathy, uncanny alertness, unlimited knowledge

A noctral is about as tall as a human, with a 20-foot wingspan, and weighs about 80-100? pounds, due to its hollow bones.

Swoop (Ex): A noctral can execute a swoop attack that is similar to a charge action in all respects, except as noted here. The noctral must fly toward its target for a minimum of 50 feet in a straight line. If the swoop attack succeeds, the noctral can attempt to grapple the target without provoking an attack of opportunity or deal double claw damage (4d4+8? points) instead.

Discern Lies (Su): When a noctral uses its telepathy to communicate with a humanoid, the noctral can discern lies, as the spell (caster level 5th?) as a free action. The humanoid can resist with a DC 14 Will save. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Knight Otu said:
I see an average maneuverability. ;)
Ooops...you're right! :eek:

BOZ said:
if that makes a difference, we can go with LA +7?
It does, so LA +7 it is.

BOZ said:
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft, legend lore, lore keeper, spell-like abilities, spell resistance (17+), superior low-light vision, telepathy, uncanny alertness, unlimited knowledge
Spell resistance 17 is better than CR + 11, so that should be sufficient.

BOZ said:
A noctral is about as tall as a human, with a 20-foot wingspan, and weighs about 80-100? pounds, due to its hollow bones.
"Aarakocras stand about 5 feet tall and have a wingspan of 20 feet. On average, they only weigh about 90 pounds."

Let's go with 100 pounds just to be slightly different.

BOZ said:
Swoop (Ex): A noctral can execute a swoop attack that is similar to a charge action in all respects, except as noted here. The noctral must fly toward its target for a minimum of 50 feet in a straight line. If the swoop attack succeeds, the noctral can attempt to grapple the target without provoking an attack of opportunity or deal double claw damage (4d4+8? points) instead.
If 4d4+8 is double claw damage, then it is correct. (Can't get homebrews to load right now).

BOZ said:
Discern Lies (Su): When a noctral uses its telepathy to communicate with a humanoid, the noctral can discern lies, as the spell (caster level 5th?) as a free action. The humanoid can resist with a DC 14 Will save. The save DC is Charisma-based.
CL 5 is fine. Are we limiting this to humanoids only? (Discern lies is "any creature").

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade said:
If 4d4+8 is double claw damage, then it is correct. (Can't get homebrews to load right now).

Attack: Claw +9 melee (2d4+4)

Shade said:
CL 5 is fine. Are we limiting this to humanoids only? (Discern lies is "any creature").

we don’t have to limit it to humanoids, but I was going by this line: “The noctral's intelligence allows it to effectively defect lie when telepathically conversing with a human or demihuman.”

Shade

Monster Junkie
4d4+8 should be correct, then.

I'd rather not limit it to humanoids. It would seem to make sense that it could discern the lies of fiends and other evil creatures that threaten its home plane and moral code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads