• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Planescape Converting Planescape monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'd say its gotta be at least CR 20. The regular ki-rin is CR 18, and this guy has some divine-level powers.

I'd go with spell resistance of 10 + CR, same as ki-rin.

For skills, if we begin by mimicking the ki-rin, it appears it has no ranks in Diplomacy, just lots of ability and synergy bonuses.

For weight, since it's built like a stag and is also size Huge, we could mimic the dire elk and go with 3 tons.

For awe, we could have it last 8 rounds (its Cha modifier), 20 rounds (its caster level), or pick some random interval like 2d6 rounds.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade said:
I'd say its gotta be at least CR 20. The regular ki-rin is CR 18, and this guy has some divine-level powers.

good points all, however… I could be wrong, but I think with 3.0 you had quite a few instances where the CR was notably higher than the HD, as with the ki-rin. In 3.5 this seems not to be the case; nearly everything has a lower CR than HD, and those that don’t rarely exceed the HD by more than +2. have a look at a similarly powerful creature, the solar – HD 22 and CR 23. I’d be leery about going higher than CR 20 with this guy.

Shade said:
I'd go with spell resistance of 10 + CR, same as ki-rin.

sounds like a plan.

Shade said:
For skills, if we begin by mimicking the ki-rin, it appears it has no ranks in Diplomacy, just lots of ability and synergy bonuses.

doesn’t mean big poppa can’t have ranks there. ;)

Shade said:
For weight, since it's built like a stag and is also size Huge, we could mimic the dire elk and go with 3 tons.

cool enough.

Shade said:
For awe, we could have it last 8 rounds (its Cha modifier), 20 rounds (its caster level), or pick some random interval like 2d6 rounds.

3d6? :) this way, it should last a nice long time more often than not.

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
good points all, however… I could be wrong, but I think with 3.0 you had quite a few instances where the CR was notably higher than the HD, as with the ki-rin. In 3.5 this seems not to be the case; nearly everything has a lower CR than HD, and those that don’t rarely exceed the HD by more than +2. have a look at a similarly powerful creature, the solar – HD 22 and CR 23. I’d be leery about going higher than CR 20 with this guy.
I'm fine with CR 20.

BOZ said:
doesn’t mean big poppa can’t have ranks there. ;)
True enough. :)

BOZ said:
3d6? :) this way, it should last a nice long time more often than not.
That could work, although if it did get a 3, that would kinda suck. How about 1d6+8? That incorporates its Cha modifier, and gives it a nice range with no extremes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads