• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Planescape Converting Planescape monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
So, very similar, but not the same. It almost seems like a designer remembered seeing a balaena description once, and sort of remembered what it did, but couldn’t find where he saw it originally, so tried to recreate it from memory. ;) or the editor told the designer to make a critter with similarities, but with different qualities to fit some other purpose better.

devilish said:
Any thoughts to modrons? They haven't been covered in 3.5 and only as a WOTC supplement for 3.0

actually, you may not be aware of it, but those modrons were originally created for the Creature Catalog site. Have another look at the credits for that supplement… :) anyway, as for a 3.5 version… it is not out of the question that we could get to modrons at some future date.

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
So, very similar, but not the same. It almost seems like a designer remembered seeing a balaena description once, and sort of remembered what it did, but couldn’t find where he saw it originally, so tried to recreate it from memory. ;) or the editor told the designer to make a critter with similarities, but with different qualities to fit some other purpose better.

It does make you wonder. And this wouldn't be the first time that has happened.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
not at all, no. in fact, some creatures have kept the same name, but changed radically. (kelpie? sussurus?) in some cases, they are trying to emulate folkloric versions of the creatures, but in some cases the alterations seem to be just "to do something different".

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade said:
I agree, the tail slap should be a normal attack dealing 2d6+Str damage and releasing the stunning slap ability if in water.

How about this:

"Stunning Slap" (Ex): If a balaena hits a waterborne opponent with a tail slap attack, all creatures within a 30-foot radius must succeed on a DC X Fortitude save or be stunned for 1d6 rounds. Stunned creatures are unable to make Swim checks and may begin to drown. The save DC is Strength-based. A balaena can also slap the water (rather than a creature) with its mighty tail as a standard action with the same effect.

that’s perfect – and the name fits, as well. :)

Shade said:
That all sounds good.

more stuff for the Combat section:

Whenever a balaena shrieks or sings, any nearby balaena are likely to come to its aid or flee from danger, depending on the tone.

Shriek (Ex): When submerged, a balaena can emit an extremely loud shrieking noise as a standard action that affects other submerged creatures. Living creatures within 300 feet of the balaena must succeed on a DC X Fortitude? save or be deafened for 2d6 days. The save DC is Constitution/Charisma?-based.

Whalesong (Su): When submerged, a balaena can emit a magical song as a standard action that affects other submerged creatures. Living creatures within 300 feet of the balaena must succeed on a DC X Will save or be affected as if by the suggestion spell. Optionally, if it wishes, a balaena can alter its song so that the song functions as a charm animal spell instead of suggestion. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Shade said:
Not a whole lot. The Manual of the Planes states "This plane-spanning waterway provides a path between realms, layers, and neighboring Outer Planes." However, it doesn't seem to go to the Astral or Material Planes, so I'd say the spell-likes are warranted.

So let it be written…

Shade said:
No to the summoning, other than adding the usual summon monster spells that can be used.

like in the Fiend Folio for outsiders? It says “any of the monster summoning spells,” so even Summon Monster I would call it while standing in the River (if the caster wishes, that is).

Shade said:
As for the other, it looks like the very similar elsewhale from Planar Handbook has the answer. Note that the elsewhale is Gargantuan.

I think it would be wise to leave the capacity the same in regards to carrying creatures… if a balaena can only carry 1 Medium creature and 4 Small creatures, it won’t be very useful transportation for most parties. ;)

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
that’s perfect – and the name fits, as well. :)

Good deal! :cool:

BOZ said:
more stuff for the Combat section:

Whenever a balaena shrieks or sings, any nearby balaena are likely to come to its aid or flee from danger, depending on the tone.

Shriek (Ex): When submerged, a balaena can emit an extremely loud shrieking noise as a standard action that affects other submerged creatures. Living creatures within 300 feet of the balaena must succeed on a DC X Fortitude? save or be deafened for 2d6 days. The save DC is Constitution/Charisma?-based.

Whalesong (Su): When submerged, a balaena can emit a magical song as a standard action that affects other submerged creatures. Living creatures within 300 feet of the balaena must succeed on a DC X Will save or be affected as if by the suggestion spell. Optionally, if it wishes, a balaena can alter its song so that the song functions as a charm animal spell instead of suggestion. The save DC is Charisma-based.

These look good. I'd go Con-based for shriek.

BOZ said:
So let it be written…

And so shall it be. ;)

BOZ said:
like in the Fiend Folio for outsiders? It says “any of the monster summoning spells,” so even Summon Monster I would call it while standing in the River (if the caster wishes, that is).

Yeah, I was thinking like in the FF. Or the MM3. I'd give it a standard, high-level summon monster for truly summoning it. Then, add a bit about using other summoning spells while standing in the River, but with the caveat that the baelana is under no compulsion to obey.

BOZ said:
I think it would be wise to leave the capacity the same in regards to carrying creatures… if a balaena can only carry 1 Medium creature and 4 Small creatures, it won’t be very useful transportation for most parties. ;)

I completely agree.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
BobROE said:
Any chance the Mist Mephit could be done? :)

sure, a pretty good chance in fact! :) I’ll consider that a request…

BOZ said:
So let it be written…

Shade said:
And so shall it be. :)

you have failed your Metallica check!

Shade said:
Yeah, I was thinking like in the FF. Or the MM3. I'd give it a standard, high-level summon monster for truly summoning it. Then, add a bit about using other summoning spells while standing in the River, but with the caveat that the baelana is under no compulsion to obey.

that sounds good, actually. I still don’t have the MM3 – any chance you could reproduce the section in question? :)

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
you have failed your Metallica check!

Ahh...so let it be done. I haven't listened to that CD in ages!

BOZ said:
that sounds good, actually. I still don’t have the MM3 – any chance you could reproduce the section in question? :)

No. :p

Essentially...

Summoning an Arrow Demon
An evil spellcaster who knows the summon monster VII spell can choose to permanently remove the babau from the list of creatures that he can summon (either with summon monster VII or with higher level summoning spells). If he does so, he can replace the babau with the arrow demon, adding it to the list of creatures that he can summon with the spell. Once the spellcaster learns higher-level summoning spells, he can use them to summon multiple arrow demons if he has chosen this option.

Personally, I hate the new "remove one creature to make room for a new one" method. I prefer the Fiend Folio method.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade said:
Ahh...so let it be done. I haven't listened to that CD in ages!

you think that’s some sort of an excuse? ;)

Shade said:
Essentially...

Summoning an Arrow Demon
An evil spellcaster who knows the summon monster VII spell can choose to permanently remove the babau from the list of creatures that he can summon (either with summon monster VII or with higher level summoning spells). If he does so, he can replace the babau with the arrow demon, adding it to the list of creatures that he can summon with the spell. Once the spellcaster learns higher-level summoning spells, he can use them to summon multiple arrow demons if he has chosen this option.

Personally, I hate the new "remove one creature to make room for a new one" method. I prefer the Fiend Folio method.

I agree, and I don’t think that helps us too much.

How about an adaptation of the Fiend Folio style:

A balaena can be summoned using a summon monster (?) spell by anyone standing in the River Oceanus, but each one has its own special ritual, song, or other prearranged signal that will attract its attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads