• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Planescape Converting Planescape monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
you think that’s some sort of an excuse? ;)

I blame the horrid pain St. Anger left in my ears. :p

BOZ said:
I agree, and I don’t think that helps us too much.

How about an adaptation of the Fiend Folio style:

A balaena can be summoned using a summon monster (?) spell by anyone standing in the River Oceanus, but each one has its own special ritual, song, or other prearranged signal that will attract its attention.

Sounds good. A piscoloth also has 9 HD can be summoned using a summon monster VII spell, so perhaps that would work for this fella? I guess the final CR will be the true arbiter.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade said:
I blame the horrid pain St. Anger left in my ears. :p

that's your fault for actually listening to stanger. ;) I knew better than to do such a thing! :D

posting this one in homebrews so we can get the stats working better...

Shade

Monster Junkie
Wow...we got this far without ability scores?!? That's usually one of the first things we do.

Physcial stats of similar creatures:

Elsewhale (Gargantuan): Str 35, Dex 13, Con 24
Baleen Whale (Gargantuan): Str 35, Dex 13, Con 22
Cachalot Whale (Gargantuan): Str 35, Dex 13, Con 24
Orca (Huge): Str 27, Dex 15, Con 21

Using the usual 8 point different in Str between Huge and Gargantuan, I'd say Str 27 is perfect. Dex 13-15, Con 21-22.

For mental stats, here are other celestial creatures with similar Int scores:
Asura: Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 17
Musteval: Int 11, Wis 14, Cha 13
Rhek: Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 15
Protectar: Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 15
Hound Archon: Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 12

Thus, I'd recommend Wis 13-15, Cha 13-17.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade said:
Wow...we got this far without ability scores?!? That's usually one of the first things we do.

clearly, we were lazy. ;) or forgetful, or both. :)

For skills, I see potentially Concentration, Diplomacy, Handle Animal, Heal, Intimidate, Knowledge (religion), Knowledge (the planes), Listen, Search, Sense Motive, Survival, and Swim

For feats, I'd pick 4 from maybe Alertness, Endurance/Diehard, Power Attack/Cleave/Improved Bull Rush

Shade

Monster Junkie
I like your skill choices.

Since every whale-like creature I could find has Alertness, Endurance, and Toughness, I'd say those three are a given (except for maybe Toughness, which I loathe). Diehard is also a common whale feat, so I'd go with that, too. If we don't do Toughness, another common whale-like feat is Improved Natural Attack (bite).

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Alertness and Endurance for sure then, but maybe not Toughness.

We were talking about Improved Bull Rush before, so I think that out to at least be a bonus feat, if we’re not giving it Power Attack. If Power Attack is a no-go, then Diehard and Toughness would replace it and IBR would be a bonus.

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
Alertness and Endurance for sure then, but maybe not Toughness.

We were talking about Improved Bull Rush before, so I think that out to at least be a bonus feat, if we’re not giving it Power Attack. If Power Attack is a no-go, then Diehard and Toughness would replace it and IBR would be a bonus.

Man, it's been awhile so I'd forgotten the whole IBR thing. That said, I'd go with the following: Alertness, Endurance, Improved Bull Rush, Power Attack. If we want Diehard, make Alertness a bonus feat. I don't think we really need it, though.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Weight: 11,000 pounds. (I looked up the weight of a real-world 30-foot whale for that one.)

Damage reduction 10/slashing or piercing.

Telepathy 500 feet?

CR 7? (The elsewhale is bigger and has more HD at CR 7, but has less offensive powers).

Caster level 9th for spell-likes? (As HD)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
so how about the Summon Monster level then? still IX?

should the Shriek be a Fortitude save?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads