• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Planescape Converting Planescape monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
it depends on what makes sense for the nature of the critter. while aberration would work just fine given the sort of creatures this one would be associated with, outsider works even better for this particular fellow. :)

on second though, let's make him a dragon. :p

Shade

Monster Junkie
Dragon it is, then. ;)

Beginning with the obvious:

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, an eater of knowledge must hit a Small, Medium, or Large creature with both its slam attacks. It can attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking attacks of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can "ingest". An eater of knowledge can grab a Huge or larger creature, but only if it can somehow reach the foe's head.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
right-o. :)

it should be rather similar to the mind flayer, although it is superior by virtue of not having to have any tentacles attached.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
hey, i don't have my LoM in front of me, but how does the ulitharid differ for being a Large creature as opposed to the standard Medium mind flayer?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
You know, I've always wanted to convert the eater of knowledge...

The ulitharid looks a lot like an advanced illithid - its Str is higher, its Con is higher, and I'm pretty sure it's Dex is lower. And its tentacles deal increased damage.

I think this guy should be an outsider, definitely. Also, the treasure type looks like double standard to me (since that's one of the few things mentioned above in the unfinished 3.5 stat block).

Personally, I think the stats should be something like Str 20-24 (I recommend 22), Dex 12-14, Con 18-20, high Wis (app. 18) and probably an 18-20 in Cha.

Demiurge out.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
PSMC2 said:
Eaters of knowledge appear awkward and soft-skinned, but their soft, bulbous bodies conceal sinews of iron and move with surprising speed.

not too sure about the Dex score you suggested.

demiurge1138 said:
I think this guy should be an outsider, definitely. Also, the treasure type looks like double standard to me (since that's one of the few things mentioned above in the unfinished 3.5 stat block).

is that about right? 6-60 gp, 30-180 pp, 6-24 gems, 3-9 art objects; 90% chance 2-16 gems, 80% 1-6 art objects, 70% any 1 magic item, for a 10-HD critter?

How are these now:

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, an eater of knowledge must hit a Small, Medium, or Large creature with both slam attacks. It can attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking attacks of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can ingest the creature's brain. An eater of knowledge can grab a Huge or larger creature, but only if it can somehow reach the foe's head.

Ingest Brain (Ex): An eater of knoweldge that makes a successful grapple check brings its exposed cerebral matter in contact with the victim's flesh. Tiny tendrils of nerves bore into the victim's flesh and begin to take control of its nervous system, tunneling towards the brain. This agonizing process deals 1d6+6 points of damage to the victim each round, and the victim must succeed on a DC X (Fortitude or Will) save or take X points of Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma drain as well. The damage and ability drain stops if the victim escapes or is pulled free, or if the eater is forced to let go.

After 1d4 rounds, the eater's tendrils reach the victims's brain and are in place to begin extraction. Tiny chunks of brain matter are torn away by the tendrils and drawn back into the eater of knowledge, dealing 1d6 points of Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma drain every round. When one of these ability scores reaches 0, the creature dies. This power is useless against constructs, elementals, oozes, plants, and undead. It is not instantly fatal to foes with multiple heads, such as ettins and hydras.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads