Planescape Converting Planescape monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
splain, lucy? ;) i don't beleive the axe is supposed to have a head on each end, but rather in one picture at least it appears to have two heads at the top end of the axe.

I read "these creatures carry ornate twin-bladed battleaxes" and immediately thought "double weapon." Of course, many axes have two heads on one end. I'm just a bit off today. :(

So I'll drop the whole "two heads are better than one" power suggestion other than all-around vision.

Psychotic Jim

First Post
What about the cannot be surprised ability? I sugguest maybe giving it Uncanny Dodge rogue ability or the ability to never be caught flatfooted like the minotaur. Or maybe a really high bonus to Listen and Spot. Or you could give it a special quality that allows it to go during a surprise round as usual.

Also, the following SQ might be useful for its connection with its axe

Axe Soul (Su): the molydeus has a supernatural link with its axe. It can supernaturally sense the location of its axe should it be lost or stolen. The axe disappears with the molydeus' body upon its death.

I also sugguest giving the molydeus ranks in Survival and gather Information and the Track feat; afterall, it's supposed to find out about the highest of the demons that stray from their path and bring them to "justice". Bumping up the HD and abilities so it could threaten mariliths and balors might not hurt. Maybe making the molydeus' axe a bane weapon vs. tanar'ri or chaotic evil outsiders while in the hands of its master might help as well.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
those are some good ideas. i'll get back to work on the molydeus when i get back to work on monday. :)

Kodam

First Post
Visages

Hi!

I'm DMing Dead Gods from Monte Cook and so I'm heavily interested in a conversion of the Visages. The lucidity control power is perhaps the most difficult part to converse. Is there any spell or other magical or psionic ability which could fill this special hole? I'm thinking about leaving it a special ability unique to them, but I'd prefer a more conventional way to give it to them. According to the adventure it has to be mind-affecting. Then it would fit as well, that the Modron (construct-type) is immune to it.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
i may convert the visage after the molydeus (no promises!), but first thing's first. ;)

Psychotic Jim

First Post
Kodam said:
Hi!

I'm DMing Dead Gods from Monte Cook and so I'm heavily interested in a conversion of the Visages. The lucidity control power is perhaps the most difficult part to converse. Is there any spell or other magical or psionic ability which could fill this special hole? I'm thinking about leaving it a special ability unique to them, but I'd prefer a more conventional way to give it to them. According to the adventure it has to be mind-affecting. Then it would fit as well, that the Modron (construct-type) is immune to it.

I got a rough conversion of the visage that might last you until Boz gets a chance to convert it.
Follow the link
http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1224834

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Psychotic Jim said:
What about the cannot be surprised ability? I sugguest maybe giving it Uncanny Dodge rogue ability or the ability to never be caught flatfooted like the minotaur. Or maybe a really high bonus to Listen and Spot. Or you could give it a special quality that allows it to go during a surprise round as usual.

Also, the following SQ might be useful for its connection with its axe

Axe Soul (Su): the molydeus has a supernatural link with its axe. It can supernaturally sense the location of its axe should it be lost or stolen. The axe disappears with the molydeus' body upon its death.

I also sugguest giving the molydeus ranks in Survival and gather Information and the Track feat; afterall, it's supposed to find out about the highest of the demons that stray from their path and bring them to "justice". Bumping up the HD and abilities so it could threaten mariliths and balors might not hurt. Maybe making the molydeus' axe a bane weapon vs. tanar'ri or chaotic evil outsiders while in the hands of its master might help as well.

i'm going to try (again) to work on the molydeus today.. :)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
ok, a bit of work on some of its other attributes quickly before i go home...

posted a question regarding affect normal fires here: http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1227339#post1227339

Molydei have a form of ESP that enables them to communicate with intelligent creatures and read the thoughts of others.

do you figure this is covered by Telepathy? Should we give it a separate detect thoughts power?

For the axe, should I give it an entry under the combat section like balors have? That would cover some of the stuff that psychotic jim posted above.

The snake head will inflict 1-6 points of damage per hit and inject a powerful venom into the victim. When injected with the poison, the victim must make a saving throw vs. poison. If he fails the save he will transform into a manes in 1-6 turns. A neutralize poison spell followed, by remove curse will eliminate the poison. However, once turned into a manes, the victim is irrevocably lost to any means short of divine intervention or a very carefully worded wish.

then there’s a matter of this. Technically it is poison, since it comes from venom… that would be 1-6 minutes now would it not?

Pants

First Post
BOZ said:
do you figure this is covered by Telepathy? Should we give it a separate detect thoughts power?
Give it Detect thoughts.

For the axe, should I give it an entry under the combat section like balors have? That would cover some of the stuff that psychotic jim posted above.
I'd give it a listing under Possessions or something, but I'd not make it an (Su) ability like the Balor's sword.

BOZ said:
then there’s a matter of this. Technically it is poison, since it comes from venom… that would be 1-6 minutes now would it not?
Turn it into some sort of disease, or you could look at the way the Aboleth's slime transform's its victim into a skum. It's essentially the same, only much worse. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads