Planescape Converting Planescape monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

What shall we do with all this?

Gronk headplates are often sought after as shields and armor plating. Gronk shields provide a -1 bonus to AC against all crushing attacks (in addition to the normal shield bonus), but they weigh over 50 pounds. Characters with less than 15 Strength suffer a -1 penalty to all Dexterity checks and attack rolls when using the shields in combat.

Gronk headplates have also been used as a covering for siege towers and for shield walls. One bariaur myth claims gronk headplates were once placed upon an enchanted battering ram—this ram was said to act as a horn of blasting upon any structure, but it was so heavy it needed twice the number of men to carry it as a normal battering ram.

The gronk have bladderlike glands along their necks and upper backs. If skinned with care, a hunter can remove gronk glands intact. When treated with the right resins and filled with acid, the gland sacs can be used as grenades. These bladder bombs are extremely effective against fiends, and Blood War patrols occasionally capture herds of gronk, keeping them in pens in the Lower Planes to be harvested for their glands.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, the shield bit is easy enough: make a side bar for "gronk shields" which have armor bonus 1 better than large metal shields but weight twice as much. I'm not sure about the bladder bombs, though, as there's not much there. Why are they so good vs fiends?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Good point. With demons and yugoloths immune to acid, and devils with resistance 10, I'd say they're nigh-useless against fiends. :confused:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Just the shields, then? With the increased weight, I increased the armor check and arcane spell failure, too.

Gronk Shields: Gronk headplates can be used as extremely sturdy but very heavy shielding. A single gronk headplate can be crafted into a large shield, which has +3 armor bonus, -3 armor check penalty, and 25% arcane spell failure chance. It weighs 30 lb. It has been rumored that multiple gronk headplates can be used to fortify seige towers and the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads