Converting prehistoric animals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaster

First Post
Looks pretty good :), although I have to admit that the Dragon Magazine Parasaurolophus stats are probably going to fulfill all of my endlessly exciting duckbill-chasing adventure fantasies from now on.

The only thing I can see on Anatotitan offhand is that it possibly could use a swim speed (since it has the relevent skill).

BTW, after seeing how they muffed up (er, interpreted) the dinosaur sizes in Dragon, I now regret suggesting a Gargantuan size category for Apatosaurus. Then again, I'm still trying to figure out how a diplodocus is stronger and better armored than a seismosaurus. Argh... ignore the topic drift...

Last edited:

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
My guess on the better-armored diplodocus is that they (wisely, IMO) decided to ignore the siesmosaurus as a precedent.

And I gave the anatotitan a Swim skill without a Swim speed because though they were probably decent swimmers when they had to, they weren't aquatic or amphibious animals.

Demiurge out.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
OK then, guess we’re done here. :) next is the plesiosaurus. I’ll start that one when I can find the free time…

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
1E MM:

Plesiosaurus

FREQUENCY: Common
NO. APPEARING: 1-3
ARMOR CLASS: 7
MOVE: 15"
HIT DICE: 20
% IN LAIR: Nil
TREASURE TYPE: Nil
NO. OF ATTACKS: 1
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 5-20
SPECIAL ATTACKS: See below
SPECIAL DEFENSES: Nil
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Standard
INTELLIGENCE: Non-
ALIGNMENT: Neutral
SIZE: L (50'- long)
PSIONIC ABILITY: Nil'
Attack/Defense Modes: Nil

The plesiosaurus strongly resembles a snake wearing a turtle's body (sans shell). They tend to be very aggressive and attack anything. The creature's neck is about one-third of its total length, and it is strong and fast. In a marine battle it can strike with its powerful fore flippers for 2-12 points of damage with each.

MC3:

CLIMATE/TERRAIN: Any ocean
ORGANIZATION: Solitary
ACTIVITY CYCLE: Day
DIET: Carnivore
INTELLIGENCE: Non- (0)
TREASURE: Nil
ALIGNMENT: Nil

MOVEMENT: 15
THAC0: 5
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 3-12
SPECIAL ATTACKS: See below
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Nil
SIZE: L (8' + long)
MORALE: Average (10)
XP VALUE: 120

Plesiosaurus

The plesiosaurus strongly resembles a snake wearing a turtle's body (sans shell). It tends to be very aggressive, attacking anything it notices. While not as long overall as its relative, the elasmosaurus, the plesiosaurus has a neck that is about one-third of its total length. The creature is strong and fast, and highly maneuverable in the water - it can "turn on a silver piece" to lunge at its prey. In a marine battle it can strike with its powerful fore flippers, inflicting 2d6 points of damage with each.

MCA2:

CLIMATE/TERRAIN: Any ocean
ORGANIZATION: Solitary
ACTIVITY CYCLE: Day
DIET: Carnivore
INTELLIGENCE: Non- (0)
TREASURE: Nil
ALIGNMENT: Neutral

MOVEMENT: Sw 15
THAC0: 5
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 3d4
SPECIAL ATTACKS: Flippers
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Nil
SIZE: H (18' + long)
MORALE: Average (10)
XP VALUE: 12,000

Plesiosaurus
The plesiosaurus strongly resembles a snake with a turtle's body (sans shell). It tends to be very aggressive, attacking anything it notices. While not as long overall as its relative, the elasmosaurus, the plesiosaurus has a neck that is one-third of its total length. The creature is strong and fast, and highly maneuverable in the water – it can "turn on a silver piece" to lunge at its prey. In a marine battle it can strike with its powerful fore flippers, inflicting 2d6 points of damage with each.

X1:

Plesiosaurus
Armor Class: 6
Hit Dice: 16
Move:
Swimming: 150' (50')
Attacks: 1 bite
Damage: 4-24
No. Appearing: 0(1-3)
Save As: Fighter: 8
Morale: 9
Treasure Type: Nil
Alignment: Neutral

A plesiosaurus is a fish-eating, lake-dwelling dinosaur, usually about 30'-50' long. It has an extremely long neck and a large snake-like head filled with sharp teeth. This dinosaur has small flippers in place of legs to aid in swimming. It is aggressive and can overturn small boats and rafts.

and here is demiurge’s version:

Plesiosaurus
Huge Animal
Hit Dice: 6d8+33 (60 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 20ft (4 squares), swim 50ft
Armor Class: 13 (-2 size, +2 Dex, +3 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 11
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+18
Attack: Bite +8 melee (2d6+9)
Full Attack: Bite +8 melee (2d6+9)
Space/Reach: 15ft/10ft
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +7, Will +3
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 15, Con 20, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 7
Skills: Hide -3*, Listen +6, Spot +6, Swim +14
Feats: Alertness, Endurance, Toughness
Environment: Warm aquatic
Organization: Solitary, pair or herd (3-12)
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 7-12 HD (Huge), 13-18 HD (Gargantuan)
Level Adjustment: -

This beast has a thick, ovoid body with fins instead of legs and a log, snaky neck and tail. The neck takes up about one third of the creature’s total length.

The plesiosaurus is a smaller relative of the elasmosaurus.

A plesiosaurus is around 20 feet in length from nose to tail, and much of this is neck and tail. They weigh about 3000 pounds and are more aggressive than their larger relatives. Although they eat fish almost exclusively, they are easily disturbed by other large moving objects in their territory, like ships.

Combat
Plesiosaurs attack exclusively with their powerful bites. They favor ambush tactics when hunting and many lookouts don’t know they’re in plesiosaur territory until it’s too late.

Skills: Plesiosaurs receive a +8 racial bonus on Hide checks made underwater.

A plesiosaurus has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform a special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

Filby

First Post
First of all, I think it may be best to borrow from Demiurge's flavor text for the description and avoid the references to snakes and turtles. That just strikes me as weird.

Filby

First Post
Mm, I'd say not. Plesiosaurus had a sturdier build than elasmosaurus, but is limbs were essentially for the same use as a seal's or a penguin's.

Whales can't do damage with their flippers, do they? I don't have MM handy. If they do, I'd say it fits here; otherwise, I think it's best to disregard it.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
some get tail slaps, some get bites. i was wondering about the flippers myself.

now here's one thing i need to ask about; should it get some kind of attacks against ships since the text hints at it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads