# Att: 1
Dmg/Att: 2-8
SA: trample
SD: nil
MR: nil
Size: M (6-1/2' tall)
Morale: Average (10)
XP Value: 35

This exceptionally fast carnivore roams the plains hunting small prey, from insects and eggs to creatures its own size. Although quite light in weight, it is difficult to strike an ornitholestes because of its speed. Packs of ornitholestes have been known to attack larger creatures if the dinosaurs significantly outnumber their victims and they are sufficiently hungry.

Originally appeared in Monstrous Compendium Volume Three: Forgotten Realms Appendix (1989).

Shade

Monster Junkie
Sizing up a compsognathus to Medium yields:

Abilities: Str 12, Dex 15, Con 12, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 11
+4 natural armor

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Sounds fine. Any appropriate special abilities to add, or are these just exceptionally boring? :(

Shade

Monster Junkie
Here's what a search yielded. Perhaps our resident dino experts can add to or refute these.

Ornitholestes means "bird robber"

Ornitholestes was 7 feet long and 16 inches tall at the hips. It weighed 25 pounds.

Its long tail was probably used for balance and agility, allowing this predator to change directions quickly as it chased prey.

Ornitholestes was a very fast bipedal runner.

Ornitholestes was a carnivore, a meat eater. It may also have been a scavenger.

Here's a nice link: http://www.abc.net.au/dinosaurs/fact_files/scrub/ornitholestes.htm

freyar

Just not seeing much for special abilities here. Maybe a "burst of speed" ability, useful several times a day?

Shade

Monster Junkie
That could work, akin to the cheetah's sprint.

Racial bonus on Balance checks?

I'm not sure about trample...stampede almost seems more appropriate.

Let's see what the dino-experts have to say. ;)

freyar

Yeah, a balance bonus makes sense. I'd probably say no to trample -- these aren't that big, after all -- but maybe stampede.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Well, they're dinosaurs in D&D, so of course they're boring! [/sarcasm]

Ornitholestes are pretty generalist predators, it's true. We could give them improved grab for Small or smaller prey (as -lestes means "thief"), mentioning that they don't attack humanoids but might be tempted by a tasty familiar.

I also think they should be more dexterous. It mentions that they're hard to hit due to their speed, which indicates a higher Dex bonus than natural armor. We could also give them uncanny dodge.

Demiurge out.

RavinRay

Explorer
I was about to say Improved Grab but Demiurge beat me to it. Especially if we want it to live up to its name, it could snatch Small or smaller, low-flying birds in flight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads