Converting prehistoric animals

Status
Not open for further replies.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I don't have a problem with giving it reach but not making adjacent attacks, even with no claws. Might take people a little while to figure it out, anyway, and it would make for a more unusual kind of combat, especially if it's mostly in the water. ;)

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
We should mention the weight on its hindquarters in the description text. Also, I think that it only deserves a CR 4, not a 5.

Now...

Teratosaurus
Huge Animal
Hit Dice: 10d8+40 (95 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 40ft (8 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (-2 size, +1 Dex, +6 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+26
Attack: Bite +12 melee (2d8+10)
Full Attack: Bite +12 melee (2d8+10)
Space/Reach: 15ft/10ft
Special Attacks: Improved grab, worry
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +11, Ref +8, Will +4
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 13, Con 19, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 9
Skills: Hide +0, Listen +9, Jump +13, Move Silently +7, Spot +9, Survival +7
Feats: Alertness, Endurance, Improved Grapple, Track
Environment: Warm desert and plains
Organization: Solitary or pair
Challenge Rating: 7
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 11-20 HD (Huge), 21-30 HD (Gargantuan)
Level Adjustment: -

This creature resembles a massive crocodile, but it carries its legs directly beneath it and its head is shorter and taller- almost like the head of a dinosaur.

A teratosaurus is a large and carnivorous variety of rausuchian--crocodilians with erect legs like a dinosaur.

The average teratosaurus is 20 to 30 feet long, and they are the top predators in whatever territory they frequent. They are solitary and territorial; the only other teratosaur a teratosaur will tolerate is either a mate or dead. They are consummate trackers, and will pursue wounded prey for days until it expires from its wounds.

Combat
Teratosaurs have one attack strategy, but they utilize it well- wait until prey approaches, leap out and grab it, shake until dead. They have no concept of retreat and will fight until dead if faced with a strong opposition.

Improved Grab (Ex): In order to use this ability, a teratosaurus must hit an opponent with its bite attack. It can then make a grapple check as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it gets a hold, it uses its worry attack.

Worry (Ex): Each round a teratosaurus maintains a grapple, it shakes its prey violently, dealing to it 4d8+14 points of damage.

Skills: A teratosaurus gains a +4 racial bonus to all Hide, Listen, Jump, Move Silently, Spot and Survival checks.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Alas, not by the RAW--it requires Improved Unarmed Strike. I've always used the barbed devil as my core example that creatures with natural attacks qualify.

Even without Improved Grapple, its grapple mod is pretty solid. Give it Weapon Focus (bite) instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads