Converting prehistoric animals

Status
Not open for further replies.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Range on Vortex Maw? Suggested 10 ft upthread.

Bump to CR 7 based on new abilities?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Something that can suck fish in from 30 ft away? I'm ok if others think it's realistic enough (this was a real animal, after all!), but I might be more comfortable with 15 or 20 ft.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Nothosaurus
Large Animal
Hit Dice: 4d8+8 (26 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 20ft (4 squares), swim 40ft
Armor Class: 13 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +3 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+11
Attack: Bite +6 melee (1d8+3)
Full Attack: Bite +6 melee (1d8+3), 2 claws +4 melee (1d4+1)
Space/Reach: 10ft/5ft
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 13, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 7
Skills: Listen +6, Spot +6, Swim +13
Feats: Alertness, Multiattack
Environment: Warm aquatic
Organization: Solitary, pair or shoal (3-12)
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 5-8 HD (Large) 9-12 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: -

This horse-sized reptile has smooth skin, long jaws with needle-like teeth, webbed paws and a short fin running along its back and tail.

A nothosaurus is a primitive semi-aquatic reptile related to plesiosaurs.

Nothosaurs live on beaches in tropical and semi-tropical climates, and behave much like seals- spending most of their time sleeping on the shore and going into the water to feed. Despite their bulk (10 feet long and about 500 pounds), they are very graceful in the water, where they hunt small fishes and squid.

Combat
Nothosaurs are usually not aggressive to anything larger than a fish, but during mating season the bulls do get territorial and lash out against anything in their way. If provoked, a nothosaurus attacks with its bite and its two front claws.

Skills: A nothosaurus has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform a special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

Sorta boring, huh? On top of that, I'd recommend hold breath.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Hold breath sounds good.

Hold Breath (Ex): A nothosaurus can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to 8 times its Constitution score before it risks drowning.

Wikipedia said:
Nothosaurus hunted by sneaking up slowly on prey, such as shoals of small fish, the putting on a last-minute burst of speed. Once caught, few animals would be able to shake themselves free from the mouth of Nothosaurus.

A swim variation on sprint?

Racial bonus on Move Silently?

Improved grab and/or bonus on grapple checks?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Racial bonus to move silently and Imp. Grab sound good. I just noticed that the damage is wrong--it's calculated using Str 16, it looks like. I'd also be willing to drop the claw attacks and let it do bite only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads