Converting prehistoric animals

Status
Not open for further replies.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'd say Cha 16-17 should be plenty; if we need to boost the DC, we can always add Ability Focus. Also, shouldn't the gaze attack be Su?

On swallow whole, let's go with 20 hp damage to escape. The gizzard is AC 17 by the usual rules.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Space/Reach: 40 ft./40 ft. (70 ft. w/bite?)

Skills: 21

Feats: 7

Environment: Temperate or cold aquatic?

Organization: Solitary or x (2-12?)

Advancement: 19-x HD (Colossal)

freyar

Space/Reach and Environment are good.
Organization: Pod? (These seem close enough to whales for that. ;))
Advancement to 30 HD?

Skills: Maybe split evenly between Listen, Spot, & Swim? Alternately, I could just see maxing Spot or Listen.

Feats: Ability Focus (paralysis gaze), Snatch (for flinging)?, Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Awesome Blow, Lightning Reflexes?, Iron Will?

2 minutes for paralysis, range 60 ft?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Max Spot and Listen. They have a good enough Strength that we can neglect to put actual ranks in Swim, I think.

I think the paralysis gaze should require an action to focus, like a vampire's domination gaze. Paralysis is a powerful status effect.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Let's use Improved Critical rather than Lightning Reflexes, but otherwise I like the rest.

Let's also allow a bit higher advancement.

Updated.

CR 13-14?

freyar

Improved Crit was something I considered, so sure!

Want to use a standard action for the gaze, then?

CR 13 probably.

Shade

Monster Junkie
LABYRINTHODONT
FREQUENCY: Common
NO. APPEARING: 1 or 3-24
ARMOR CLASS: 7
MOVE: 3"//22"
HIT DICE: 1 hp to 8 HD
NO. OF ATTACKS: 3 (bite)
DAMAGE/ATTACK: Nil to 2-20
SPECIAL ATTACKS: Swallow whole
SPECIAL DEFENSES: Nil
INTELLIGENCE: Non-
SIZE: S to L (up to 15' long)

Labyrinthodonts are amphibians, and flourish in Triassic settings. They resemble crocodilians in overall form, but the typical labyrinthodont has a flattened head with upward-staring eyes, a flat broad body, and feeble legs. The mouth is huge, and full of sharp teeth. The hatchlings and very young individuals have feathery external gills, like a modern salamander larva.

Labyrinthodonts include the largest amphibians ever to exist; fortunately, they never stay far from water. A labyrinthodont typically lies below the water's surface, hoping to surprise whatever edible morsel may pass by. Individuals with 7 HD or more can swallow man-sized prey whole.

Labyrinthodonts vary with size as follows:

HIT DICE: 1 hp ¼ ½ 1 2
DAMAGE: Nil 1 1-2 1-4 2-5
SIZE: S(2) S(3) S(4) M(5) M(6)

HIT DICE: 3 4 5-6 7-8
DAMAGE: 2-8 2-12 2-16 2-20
SIZE: M(7) L(8-9) L(10-11) L(12-15)

Originally apperead in Dragon Magazine #112 (1986).

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labyrinthodont

We may have to create several varieties, as they seem to differ quite a bit by genus and taxon.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Eryops would be a good Medium sized labyrinthodont; a big burly terrestrial bruiser-type. Paracyclotosaurus was big enough to be Large, and would be a good fit for the "labyrinthodont" above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases