Converting prehistoric creatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
That looks pretty good, IPR! Based on the Wikipedia article, I might make the poison nastier (Con damage probably) and maybe add something to indicate the strong jaws (sounds like they hold on, actually, maybe even to inject poison like a gila monster). Shouldn't take too long with what you've done already!

How about I give it Attach like a dire weasel, and it injects its poison every round it's attached? Also I'll switch its poison to Con damage. That would probably necessitate bumping it up to CR 2.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Hah. I'm okay with getting side-tracked. If we wanted the poison to get really vicious, we could switch Alertness for Ability Focus.

How does this look?

Euchambersia
Small Animal
Hit Dice: 2d8+4 (13 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 13 (+1 size, +1 Dex, +1 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+1*
Attack: Bite +3 melee (1d4 plus poison)
Full Attack: Bite +3 melee (1d4 plus poison)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Attach, poison
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1
Abilities: Str 11, Dex 13, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 4
Skills: Hide +5, Listen +5, Spot +4
Feats: Alertness, Weapon Finesse (B)
Environment: Warm forests
Organization: Solitary or pair
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 3 HD (Small); 4-6 HD (Medium)

This creature at the same time resembles both a monitor lizard and a dog-like mammal. Its head looks more dog-like, though, due to the whiskers and large fangs. Bristle-like hair sprouts in various places from its rust-brown hide.

Euchambersia was a late Permian therocephalian, a relative of the larger gorgonopsians. Called the viper-wolf by peoples of the land in which it dwells, it is unique in that it has evolved venom for offensive use - to kill its prey.

Combat
Euchambersia waits for prey to come along, then charges in to bite. It usually attempts to hold on to its prey. If threatened by a larger creature, however, it will flee.

Attach (Ex): A euchambersia that hits with its bite attack latches onto the opponent’s body with its powerful jaws. An attached euchambersia loses its Dexterity bonus to AC and thus has an AC of 12. An attached euchambersia can be struck with a weapon or grappled itself. To remove an attached euchambersia through grappling, the opponent must achieve a pin against the creature.

Poison (Ex): Euchambersia's venom is a hemotoxin that damages its prey's internal organs (Fort DC 13, 1d4 Con/1d4 Con). A euchambersia injects venom each round it is attached.

*A euchambersia has a +4 racial bonus on Grapple checks.

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'd recommend a +4 racial bonus on grapple checks in the attack ability, giving it a positive modifier.

Other than that, it looks good!

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Ok, I'll do that. Where does it go when we're done with it?
Shade puts it in a thread in the homebrews forum (one of the locked ones at the top) for "storage" until he gets a chance to upload it to the official Creature Catalog. In fact, usually, that's our "working copy" as we change abilities around, etc.

I'm thinking Ability Focus might be a little mean at CR 2. Anyone else?

When I first created the Euchambersia creature in November 2007 I found a site that said its skull was 24cm long, so based on the pictures I found, I extrapolated it to be about 84cm in length (a bit less than 3 feet).

Shade, be sure to note that in my above post I gave it the Grapple bonus like you suggested and revised its advancement a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads