• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Psionic Creatures

Cleon

Legend
Hmm, equivalent to a 4th level power, ML 7th?

Sure, I'm OK with either.

Oh, and I think we should say what action it requires, like an Astral Construct's psi-like abilities:

Death Throes (Ps): If a walking egg is killed, its dying mind lashes out with invisible beams of psionic energy as a free action. All creatures within 120 ft. of the walking egg that have hurt the walking egg within the last hour are automatically hit by a beam for 4d4 points of force damage. These unerring beams do not need line of sight to hit their target, but do require line of effect. This is equivalent to a 4th-level psionic power (manifester level 7th).

Alternatively, we could make it (Su), then we wouldn't have to worry about manifestation levels.

Come to think of it, if the Death Throes is a psi-like power it'll have to make a Concentration check to manifest it when it's taking damage - which is pretty much a given when it's dying violently.

So, we should really change it to supernatural, and change the Wingless Wonder's Death Throes too (Su) as well:

Death Throes (Su): If a walking egg is killed, its dying mind lashes out with invisible beams of telekinetic force as a free action. All creatures within 120 ft. of the walking egg that have hurt the walking egg within the last hour are automatically hit by a beam for 4d4 points of force damage. These unerring beams do not need line of sight to hit their target, but do require line of effect.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Agreed to Su. I'd thought of that, then thought that there was supposed to be some reason these are psionic. ;)

Anyway, do you mind cleaning up the red text in the working drafts? It'd be good to have a clean look at what's left.

Cleon

Legend
Agreed to Su. I'd thought of that, then thought that there was supposed to be some reason these are psionic. ;)

I think the only reason was their "mind shield" and have a psionic blast, basically.

Since mind flayers, the very epitome of a D&D psionic monster, have (Su) psionic blasts and SLAs as default, there's little reason not to change it.

Anyway, do you mind cleaning up the red text in the working drafts? It'd be good to have a clean look at what's left.

Assuming by that that you're OK with the red bits we've discussed already...

Updating the Walking Egg Working Draft and Wingless Wonder Working Draft.

freyar

Are we finally ready for skills and feats? I can't believe it.

The suggested skills in red are ok with me, although the obliviousness of the wingless wonder version makes me think we could go for something more like Balance or Tumble rather than Spot. I'm not sure, though. Or maybe just boost Climb and/or Swim.

For the feat, maybe something like Dodge since I can't think what else would help them. Ability Focus (death throes) on the wingless wonder perhaps.

Cleon

Legend
Are we finally ready for skills and feats? I can't believe it.

The suggested skills in red are ok with me, although the obliviousness of the wingless wonder version makes me think we could go for something more like Balance or Tumble rather than Spot. I'm not sure, though. Or maybe just boost Climb and/or Swim.

Could give them some Listen, I suppose.

For the feat, maybe something like Dodge since I can't think what else would help them. Ability Focus (death throes) on the wingless wonder perhaps.

If you're looking for something combat-related, Weapon Focus (tentacle) would be an obvious pick.

freyar

Listen doesn't go so well with oblivious, either. For the Wingless Wonder, let's give 3 ranks to Climb and 2 to Swim. We can put the ranks in Spot for the Walking Egg.

I'm not exactly looking for something combat-related, but Weapon Focus seems as good as anything (for both of them).

Cleon

Legend
Listen doesn't go so well with oblivious, either. For the Wingless Wonder, let's give 3 ranks to Climb and 2 to Swim. We can put the ranks in Spot for the Walking Egg.

Hmm, come to think of it the original text says they're very short-sighted, so they shouldn't have Spot. I'd like a few ranks of Listen, though, since they apparently communicate by "chittering" to each other they can't be that hard of hearing.

Hmm, some ranks in Climb and Swim wouldn't hurt.

Climb +9, Listen +3, Swim +9 for the Wingless Wonder, and Climb +10, Listen +3 for the Walking Egg?

Hmm, it wouldn't hurt to give them some kind of "Bad Eyesight" SQ that gives a penalty to Spot checks, possibly with increased range penalties. We did come up with something like that once, but I can't remember what creature we gave it to.

I'm not exactly looking for something combat-related, but Weapon Focus seems as good as anything (for both of them).

Agreed. Shall I update the draft with Weapon Focus then?

freyar

Should the walking egg also be shortsighted? I don't think we have the full stats for that posted.

Shortsighted (Ex): Wingless wonders take a -2 penalty to Spot checks per 10 ft of distance, as opposed to the usual -1 penalty.

Yes, let's go with Weapon Focus.

Cleon

Legend
Should the walking egg also be shortsighted? I don't think we have the full stats for that posted.

Yes, they should both have it.

We're basing the Egg on the Secrets of the Magister version of the Alkada, which has "the large, sad-looking eyes of an alkada can only see about 6 feet, and the creatures do not tend to notice menacing approaches or anything short of an attack that hits home."

The Wonder version is based on the other versions of the creature which, according to its original Dragon No. 40 appearance "the creature’s eyes have a short (½”) range", while its Menzoberranzan incarnation has "Wingless wonders are curious, shortsighted (10’ or so effective vision and infravision)".

Shortsighted (Ex): Wingless wonders take a -2 penalty to Spot checks per 10 ft of distance, as opposed to the usual -1 penalty.

Hmm, the previous quotes indicate a larger penalty than that.

How about...

Shortsighted (Ex): Alkadas have difficulty seeing anything further than 10 ft. away and are virtually blind at long distances. Instead of the normal -1 penalty per 10 feet of distance, an alkada has a -6 [?] penalty on Spot checks for the first 10 feet of distance, increased by -2 per additional 10 feet.

Yes, let's go with Weapon Focus.

I might as well add that, then.

Updating the Walking Egg Working Draft and Wingless Wonder Working Draft.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads