• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Psionic Creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
How about this?

A walking egg is a type of creature sages call the alkada, a group which also includes the wingless wonder. Alkadas are short-sighted, curious and fearlessly stupid. They often make a high-pitched chittering, and redden when angry or excited. An alkada is attracted by red or purple, the brighter the more alluring, and are fascinated by sparkly translucent objects, which they swallow and carry around in their stomach. An alkada must be cut open to extract these shiny trophies, which may include a few gems or pieces of valuable crystal among the polished pieces of glass and pretty pebbles.

An alkada's favorite food is ripe fruit, but they can eat almost any living (or once living) thing they can fit into their mouths. Most of their diet is fruit and vegetables, supplemented by whatever small animals come within reach of their tentacles. Alkadas also eat carrion: they can live off kitchen refuse and animal wastes provided they occasionally dine on fresh vegetation (leaves, grass, and flowers). Alkadas do not attack other alkadas, but will feed off the corpse of an alkada if they are sure it is dead and rotting.

Alkadas are hermaphrodites. Whenever a solitary alkada meet another of their species, they entwine tentacles and chitter passionately for several minutes, exchanging fluids that fertilize pea-shaped eggs inside their alkada partner. They usually then separate and continue their solitary lives but may wander together as a mated pairs. An alkada can carry up to a dozen eggs but only fertilizes one each time they meet another alkada. After six or seven months, the alkada excretes a fully-developed egg, rubbery and as large as a human head, which splits open to reveal a juvenile alkada. A newly hatched alkada can live independently; it often accompanies its parent for a while but is expected to fend for itself. Pregnant alkada radiate faerie fire, which may flicker out when they use their psionic abilities.

A walking egg stands about 4 feet tall, including a nest of tentacles about 18 inches high. They weigh about 40 pounds.

Alkadas do not speak, their chittering carries no more meaning than an animal's cries.

Cleon

Legend
How about this?

I'd rather not mention the faerie fire since we're not using the spell to determine the glow's effects.

Also, only the wingless wonder has a glow that flickers - the walking egg's seems to be constant.

We can probably trim the words down a bit too from my initial draft.

How about...

A walking egg is a type of creature called the alkada, a group that includes the wingless wonder. Alkada often make a high-pitched chittering, and redden when angry or excited. They are short-sighted, curious and fearlessly stupid. An alkada is attracted by red or purple, the brighter the more alluring, and are fascinated by sparkly translucent objects, which they swallow and carry in their stomach. These trophies may include valuable gems or crystals among the polished pieces of glass and pretty pebbles, but the alkada must be cut open to extract its shiny treasure.

An alkada's favorite food is ripe fruit, but they eat almost any living (or once living) thing they can fit into their mouths. Most of their diet is vegetarian, supplemented by whatever small animals come within reach of their tentacles. Alkada also eat carrion: they can live off kitchen refuse and animal wastes provided they occasionally dine on fresh vegetation (leaves, grass, and flowers). Alkada never attack each other, but will feed off a dead alkada once it is rotting.

Alkada are hermaphrodites. Whenever a solitary alkada meets another of its species, they entwine tentacles and chitter passionately for several minutes, exchanging fluids that fertilize pea-shaped eggs inside their partner. They usually then separate to continue their solitary lives, but may wander together as a mated pair. Alkada can carry up to a dozen eggs, but only fertilize one each time they meet another alkada. Pregnant alkada radiate an eldritch purple-white glow that sheds light equal to a candle. Six to seven months after fertilization the alkada excretes a fully-developed egg, rubbery and as large as a human head, which splits open to reveal a juvenile alkada. A newly hatched alkada can live independently; it often accompanies its parent for a while but is expected to fend for itself.

A walking egg stands about 4 feet tall, including a nest of tentacles about 18 inches high. They weigh about 40 pounds.

Alkada do not speak, their chittering carries no more meaning than an animal's cries.

Cleon

Legend
Upon reflection, I think it might make sense to make the glow a SQ. Mainly so the DM is more likely to remember it!
Maternal Glow (Ex): Pregnant alkada radiate an eldritch purple-white glow that sheds light equal to a candle, this light pulses when a wingless wonder uses its wonderblast.
Also, the original wingless wonder loses its anti-magic in the round it unleashed a Wonderblast, suggesting we should modify it as follows:
Wonderblast (Su): Once per day, a wingless wonder can create a wild magic effect as a standard action. This functions exactly like a rod of wonder, except effects originate from the wingless wonder and all saving throws have a DC of 14. The save DCs are Charisma-based and include a +2 racial bonus.

When a wingless wonder uses its wonderblast it loses its spell resistance until the end of the next round. Its maternal glow effect (see above) flickers and pulses during this period, even if the alkada is not pregnant.
I've updated the Walking Egg Working Draft and Wingless Wonder Working Draft to fix a couple of erroneous "alkadas" - the original entry shows "alkada" is both singular and plural.

freyar

I don't like it as a normal SQ (and if it's eldritch, shouldn't it be an Su ability?), since presumably most alkada won't have it, unless they're like tribbles. But if you really don't want it in the flavor, how about an underbar?

Also, I thought we'd decided long ago when Shade was still with us that the "flickering" of the SR was too complicated.

And, finally, the working drafts both list the same original sources. But shouldn't they list different ones, since we decided the different original sources represent different monsters?

Man, I can't believe we're still working on these. Do you realize we started in February? They're worse than Mossmutter!

Cleon

Legend
I don't like it as a normal SQ (and if it's eldritch, shouldn't it be an Su ability?), since presumably most alkada won't have it, unless they're like tribbles. But if you really don't want it in the flavor, how about an underbar?

Going by the flavour text, I'd think they spend most of their time pregnant.

Hmm, actually it might be a (Su) ability since it's a side-effect of the "Anti-Magic Field". I guess it depends what type the SR is.

Making it an underbar seems a good solution.

Also, I thought we'd decided long ago when Shade was still with us that the "flickering" of the SR was too complicated.

I don't mind leaving that for a Cleon Special.

And, finally, the working drafts both list the same original sources. But shouldn't they list different ones, since we decided the different original sources represent different monsters?

Hmm, we should add a note to the Walking Egg that it's based on the "Wingless Wonder" from Secrets of the Magister.

Man, I can't believe we're still working on these. Do you realize we started in February? They're worse than Mossmutter!

They're not as bad as Mossmutter - but then few things are!

freyar

So, in that case, are we agreed to

1) leave the wonderblast as it is?
2) add an underbar on pregnant alkada with Maternal Glow as an Su ability?

freyar

Pregnant Alkada

Pregnant alkada gain the following special quality.

Maternal Glow (Su): Pregnant alkada radiate an eldritch purple-white glow that sheds light equal to a candle. [When a pregnant wingless wonder uses its wonderblast, the light from its maternal glow flickers.]

Cleon

Legend
Pregnant Alkada

Pregnant alkada gain the following special quality.

Maternal Glow (Su): Pregnant alkada radiate an eldritch purple-white glow that sheds light equal to a candle. [When a pregnant wingless wonder uses its wonderblast, the light from its maternal glow flickers.]

That's a lot of repeats of "pregnant alkada". How about:

Pregnant Alkada
Alkada that are carrying fertilized eggs gain the following special quality.

Maternal Glow (Su): Pregnant alkada radiate an eldritch purple-white glow that sheds light equal to a candle.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads