• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Psionic Creatures

Cleon

Legend
Looks good. Same racial bonus modifiers as ghost (+8)?

Yes, that's what I'd go for.

I was thinking of both, and including the "or" on the line, but I'm fine with just psion advancement, too.

Oh, I'm happy with "or" so let's use that.

I couldn't remember either, so I went back and found this exchange:

So it's all the fault of Freyar and this Cleon guy, whoever he is. :p

Cleon

Legend

It's missing the asterisks for "*power can be augmented".

I make it:

Typical Psion Powers Known (power points 60, save DC 14 + power level):
1st—attraction*, concealing amorpha, control light, control object, demoralize*, ego whip*;
2nd—control air*, control sound, energy missile*, phobia amplification* (new power, see below);
3rd—energy cone*, telekinetic force*, telekinetic thrust*;
4th—control body*, telekinetic maneuver*.
*Power can be augmented.

Apart from that, it looks good to go.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Rautym
CLIMATE/TERRAIN: Underground/cavems
FREQUENCY: Rare
ORGANIZATION: Pack
ACTIVITY CYCLE: Any
DIET: Omnivore
INTELLIGENCE Average (8-10)
TREASURE: Nil
ALIGNMENT: Neutral Evil
NO. APPEARING 4-40
ARMOR CLASS: 3
MOVEMENT: 15
HIT DICE: 4 + 4
THACO 17
NO. OF ATTACKS: 3 (claw/claw/bite)
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 1-6/1-6/1-8
SPECIAL ATTACKS: See below
SPECIAL DEFENSES: See below
MAGIC RESISTANCE Nil
SIZE: (4')
MORALE Champion (16)
XP VALUE: 1,400
PSIONICS SUMMARY:
Level 5
Dis/Sci/Dev 2/1/6
Attack/Defense Nil
Score 13
PSPs 70
Clairsentience: Devotions: Danger Sense, Feel Sound, Hear Light
Psychometabolism: Sciences: Shadow-form; Devotions: Adrenalin Control, Aging, Chameleon Power

The rautym is a relatively harmless-looking creature, resembling a small, eyeless, hairless, freckle-backed monkey. However, as many adventurers have found, appearances can be deceiving. A rautym is never found far from its companions, and for good reason. It is not because they are fearful, but because they gain power simply by being together.

Although rautym have no eyes, they nonetheless have littie trouble existing, even flourishing, in the dark recesses of the underground. This is because two of their psionic powers are always active, and without cost in PSPs. These (Feel Sound and Hear Light) allow the rautym to move about in the dark freely. They maintain small quantities of faintly phosphorescent rocks all about their lairs, or on their persons if travelling, which allow them to function easily. If plunged into magical darkness and silence, the rautym panic and attempt to flee. Opponents can use these spells to defeat the rautym easily; this is an option few have tried, however, as it is not at all obvious upon meeting these creatures.

Combat: The rautym have exceptional control over their psionic abilities and use them to great effect during combat. When they encounter a danger, they use their Adrenalin Control to boost their Strength (the already have a natural Strength of 15) so they gain attack and damage bonuses. If necessary, they use Shadow-form to sneak behind their enemies, at which point they employ Aging or leap out upon their enemies to engage them in fierce hand-to-hand combat.

In addition to their arsenal of psionic powers, the rautym also have a power that is unduplicated in any other known race: they can dance magic, that is, they can summon magical energies by dancing in a certain way. There must, however, be at least two rautym for this to work. One acts as the dancer while the other acts as the focus. A lone rautym dancer must dance five hours to produce a single first level spell; the rautym who acts as the focus is the one who casts the actual spell The focus must have heard of the spell to cast it, and there must be at least twice aa many dancers as there are spell levels for spells past 5th level. The focus need not decide on the spell until the time comes to cast it, and there have been cases where the rautym dance for days, building the magical energies to an unheard.-of level.

Additional rautym reduce the casting time or increase the spell level. The specific amount of time depends on the num ber of dancers, and is five hours divided by the number of dancers. The increase in spell level is one level per rautym until 5th level, at which point there must be two rautym per level. For example, two rautym dancers can enable a focus to cast a second level spell after five hours of dancing, or can enable it to cast a first level spell in two and ½ hours. Likewise, five rautym can cast a 5th-level spell after five hours of dancing, or can decrease the casting time of a 1st-level spell to one hour.

If possible, the rautym will post sentries who use their Chameleon Power and Danger Sense. Since the rautym cannot defend themselves while they dance (although their dancing reverie is broken when the circle is broken), they prefer to have sentries rather than the extra power.

Habitat/Society: Rautym have a traditional focus, usually their elder, who leads them through the darkness of the underground. There is at least one elder per group of four. If the previous elder is killed, a new one is created to take its place. The rautym are never without a focus.

Ecology: The rautym are an anomaly in the underground. None are sure of their origins, but know that disturbing a circle of dancing rautym is a sure way to invite destruction.

Originally appeared in Dragon Mountain (1993).

RavinRay

Explorer
Quick impressions…

Small magical beast (psionic)? Or is it still humanoid enough to be a monstrous humanoid?

It has both psionic and magical abilities, just as the cerebrilith does. The magical dance effect takes an awful lot of effort, almost as if the creatures were developing an epic spell (more participants act as a mitigating factor) or using an incantation (Unearthed Arcana). (I remember the 1e entry for aarakocra stating that a group of them performing an aerial dance can summon an air elemental.)

It has the synesthete power to give it sight and hearing.

They have a shadow form ability of sorts; I don't know if there's a shadow-type power in the SRD, but there are in Complete Psionic. Edit: there is shadow body in the SRD.

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'm leaning toward magical beast.

The aarakocra's ability is relatively simple in 3e...

Summon Large Air Elemental (Su): A group of five aarakocras that includes at least one cleric can cast summon monster VI to summon a Large air elemental. To perform the summoning, the aarakocras must perform an intricate aerial dance for 3 rounds.

Cleon

Legend
Quick impressions…

Small magical beast (psionic)? Or is it still humanoid enough to be a monstrous humanoid?

I like Monstrous Humanoid for them. They're certainly more humanoid in build than, say, a Gargoyle.

They have a shadow form ability of sorts; I don't know if there's a shadow-type power in the SRD, but there are in Complete Psionic. Edit: there is shadow body in the SRD.

Yes, we might as well use that.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'd still prefer magical beast, since they are essentially apes, but I'll bow to the majority preference.

Speaking of apes...

Baboon (M): Str 15, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 4
Monkey (T): Str 3, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 5

Downsized baboon: Str 11, Dex 12, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 4
Upsized monkey: Str 7, Dex 13, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 5

Int is 8-10. Cha should be decent, due to reliance on PLAs.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads