• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Psionic Creatures

Cleon

Legend
I'd go with magical beast. The drawing in the original description showed them as quadrupedal.

Magical Beast is OK if that's what you guys want.

The 1d6/1d6/1d8 claw/claw/bite suggests they're really strong for their size or have the combat effectiveness of their nails & teeth enhanced in some fashion.

Oh, and Shade, shouldn't the downsized baboon have Dex 16, not 12 - I think you've added the adjustment the wrong way.

Since the original has 4 bonus hit points on 4 Hit Dice I think they ought to have either a Con bonus or Toughness as a bonus feat, maybe both.

So, something like:

Rautym: Str 13, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 9, Wis 13, Cha 16, NA +3

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

I boosted Str to 15, because:

Combat: The rautym have exceptional control over their psionic abilities and use them to great effect during combat. When they encounter a danger, they use their Adrenalin Control to boost their Strength (the already have a natural Strength of 15) so they gain attack and damage bonuses.

PSIONICS SUMMARY:
Level 5
Dis/Sci/Dev 2/1/6
Attack/Defense Nil
Score 13
PSPs 70
Clairsentience: Devotions: Danger Sense, Feel Sound, Hear Light
Psychometabolism: Sciences: Shadow-form; Devotions: Adrenalin Control, Aging, Chameleon Power

It looks like they are 5th-level psions. Seer or Egoist?

Although rautym have no eyes, they nonetheless have littie trouble existing, even flourishing, in the dark recesses of the underground. This is because two of their psionic powers are always active, and without cost in PSPs. These (Feel Sound and Hear Light) allow the rautym to move about in the dark freely. They maintain small quantities of faintly phosphorescent rocks all about their lairs, or on their persons if travelling, which allow them to function easily. If plunged into magical darkness and silence, the rautym panic and attempt to flee. Opponents can use these spells to defeat the rautym easily; this is an option few have tried, however, as it is not at all obvious upon meeting these creatures.

Blind SQ seems a no-brainer. What about deaf?

Last edited:

RavinRay

Explorer
They need to feel sound with their facial skin, and hear light with their ears, but it doesn't explicitly say they are deaf, so I don't think so.

Cleon

Legend
Added to Homebrews.

I boosted Str to 15, because:

Dang it, I remember seeing that and thinking "must set Str to 15" before I did that post, which I then forgot about.

Oh well, it was an "unknown known".;)

It looks like they are 5th-level psions. Seer or Egoist?

Egoist seems a better fit, since (a) that's what they have the most powers in and (b) their Feel Sound and Hear Light are more akin to an always-on PLA or a (Su) SQ.

Blind SQ seems a no-brainer. What about deaf?

I like Deaf too, otherwise the original's Feel Sound doesn't make much sense for them.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Psi-Like Abilities: Always active—synesthete; at will—x; 3/day—x; 1/day—psychofeedback, shadow body. Manifester level 5th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.
*Includes augmentation for the rautym's manifester level.

Psionic Powers: A rautym manifests powers as a psion (egoist) of 5th level. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Typical Psion Powers Known (power points 32, save DC 13 + power level):
1st—x;
2nd—chameleon;
3rd—danger sense.
*Power can be augmented.

It gets a total of 11 powers known. Did we ever come up with a 3.5 equivalent of aging?

RavinRay

Explorer
Nope, we never did do aging. Do we just write up a PLA wherein the physical ability scores suffer a -1 penalty without the mental scores going up?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Cause decay or variant is probably good.

I'd also go with deaf. If we're giving them 3.5 synesthete always on, the only sense they really need is touch (on their face). Edit: and I'd let them feel sound and light at the same time.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads