Converting Psionic Creatures

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Brain spiders generally attack from ambush, dropping onto their victims from a ceiling or other high ground, or suddenly appearing from their psionic shadow form, imposing a -2 penalty upon opponents’ surprise rolls. They prefer to attack in groups, focusing their attacks on one or two victims and then leaving abruptly, hoping their poisonous bites do their work. They have been known to trail a party, waiting for one of the dead to be abandoned so they may feed.

Brain spiders generally attack from ambush, dropping onto their victims from a ceiling or other high ground, or suddenly appearing from their psionic shadow form, imposing a -2 penalty upon opponents’ surprise rolls. They prefer to attack in groups, focusing their attacks on one or two victims and then leaving abruptly, hoping their poisonous bites do their work. They have been known to trail a party, waiting for one of the dead to be abandoned so they may feed.

Skills: 11 ranks
Bluff, Listen, Hide, Move Silently, Spot?

Feats: 3
Multiattack? Improved Inititative? Track? (If so, ranks in Survival)?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Why the Bluff?

Oops. I quoted the same original text twice in my previous post. This was intended to explain the Bluff...

Although brain spiders are crude and even stupid, they have remarkable cunning when hunting. One of their favorite tricks is to use their body equilibrium discipline to stand over quicksand, a pit trap, or wreak ledges, goading victims into approaching them, and then attacking the trapped prey.

The evidence for tracking seems a bit thin, but Multiattach and Improved Initiative are fine.

The Brain spider's poisoned bite original had a -4 penalty to saves vs. poison, so maybe Ability Focus (poison)?

I'm fine with that, as the similar phase spider has that very feat.

Cleon

Legend
Oops. I quoted the same original text twice in my previous post. This was intended to explain the Bluff...

Wouldn't they need a racial bonus to Bluff to have a modifier high enough to be of much use to CR-appropriate foes?

I'm fine with that, as the similar phase spider has that very feat.

Although Phase Spiders only have a -2 on saves in AD&D vs the Brain Spider's -4 (which is about as toxic as it gets for 1E/2E).

Perhaps give them a racial bonus to poison DC and substitute another feat for AF?

Say, +4 racial to poison and the feats Combat Reflexes, Improved Initiative and Multiattack?

Remove ads