Converting Psionic Creatures

RavinRay

Explorer
According to my search double pain has no exact 3.5e counterpart so we need to write this one up with its own PLA entry. Just need to re-word the 2e entry. If it were a power it would be a 3th-level psion/wlder power costing 7 power points with a range of touch, and possibly a Fortitude save.
By touching another person, the psionicist greatly lowers that character's pain threshold. (Even a little scrape will feel like a serious injury.) The effect lasts one turn. During that time, all damage scored against that character is doubled. However, only half of this damage is real; the other half represents the amplified pain. When the character's total of real damage and pain reduces his hit points to zero or less, he passes out. He will regain consciousness 1d10 rounds later. At that time he also regains "fake" hit points-those lost only to pain. If the victim does not pass out in one turn (the duration of this power's effects), damage scored against him is no longer doubled. However, the points of "pain damage" which he has an already incurred will remain in effect for another ld6 rounds.

Cleon

Legend
According to my search double pain has no exact 3.5e counterpart so we need to write this one up with its own PLA entry. Just need to re-word the 2e entry. If it were a power it would be a 3th-level psion/wlder power costing 7 power points with a range of touch, and possibly a Fortitude save.

So you'd rather have something closer to the AD&D version than 3E's painful strike.

Doubling hit point damage is pretty nasty, I would rather it do a set amount of additional damage. How about it works like painful strike except the additional damage is non-lethal?

RavinRay

Explorer
So any damage dealt to the target deals an equal amount of non-lethal damage that the target can sense. Want to give it shades of inflict pain (the agony part)?

Cleon

Legend
So any damage dealt to the target deals an equal amount of non-lethal damage that the target can sense. Want to give it shades of inflict pain (the agony part)?

No, I was suggesting it do something like +1dX nonlethal damage.

The problem with adding equal nonlethal damage is it makes high-damage attacks too effective, since it's doubling the damage.

The painful strike already does +1d6 nonlethal, so basically it's a painful strike that affects all attacks that hit the target, instead of all the natural attacks the psychic warrior who manifested it makes.

Want to give it shades of inflict pain (the agony part)?

I don't want to add an attack/skill/ability penalty if that's what you mean, but I would be OK if the power either increased the DC of pain effects (e.g. -2 on saves against inflict pain or symbol of pain) or increased the penalties of pain effects (e.g. an additional -1 on a failed save, so inflict pain imposes a -5 penalty on attack rolls, skill checks, and ability checks instead of -4).

EDIT: However, just giving it painful strike would suit me just as well as creating a new power.

RavinRay

Explorer
Ok, let's modify painful strike to add a lingering effect. I prefer the first option (e.g. -2 on saves against inflict pain or symbol of pain).

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Sounds like nonlethal. But if we're making that modification, I'm not sure about adding the lingering vulnerability to "pain effects."

Cleon

Legend
Sounds like nonlethal. But if we're making that modification, I'm not sure about adding the lingering vulnerability to "pain effects."

Shall we rough something out, then? How's this for a start:

Double Pain
Telepathy [Mind-Affecting] (or Psychometabolism?)
Level: Psion/wilder 2
Display: Material
Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One creature
Duration: 1 round
Saving Throw: Will negates? (Fort negates if Psychometabolism?)
Power Resistance: Yes
Power Points: 3

The target becomes abnormally sensitive to pain for the duration of the power. Each successful attack against your foe (regardless of source) deals an extra 1d6 points of nonlethal damage to the target.

Augment
For every additional power power point you spend the duration increases by 1 round, for every 2 additional power points you spend the DC increases by 1.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases