Converting "Real World" Animals and Vermin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
CR 2. It's not nearly as deadly as the CR 3 dire ape.

"Ape" is 1d6 for bite and claws. Dire ape is 1d6 for claws as well. So I can see 1d6 for the claws, but I think bite should remain 1d4 as gorillas aren't as known for biting (and the carnivorous ape is presumably better suited to tearing flesh).

Definitely drop Str back to 21, as I don't want it eclipsing the presumably bigger and deadlier dire ape.

I like Power Attack for them as well.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Agreed to dropping Str and giving them Power Attack. Actually... considering that the chest-beating and posturing that male gorillas are famous for is all about intimidation, some ranks in that would be appropriate.

Cleon

Legend
CR 2. It's not nearly as deadly as the CR 3 dire ape.

Yes, CR2 seems right for me.

"Ape" is 1d6 for bite and claws. Dire ape is 1d6 for claws as well. So I can see 1d6 for the claws, but I think bite should remain 1d4 as gorillas aren't as known for biting (and the carnivorous ape is presumably better suited to tearing flesh).

They may not be known for biting, but they've got pretty powerful jaws. 1d4+2 seems too puny a bite damage to me.

Definitely drop Str back to 21, as I don't want it eclipsing the presumably bigger and deadlier dire ape.

That brings us onto the subject of size and weight. The SRD's "An adult male ape is 5½ to 6 feet tall and weighs 300 to 400 pounds" seems fine to me.

Cleon

Legend
Agreed to dropping Str and giving them Power Attack. Actually... considering that the chest-beating and posturing that male gorillas are famous for is all about intimidation, some ranks in that would be appropriate.

Ooh, I like that idea. Shall we give switch out a rank of Listen and Spot to give it 2 ranks of Intimidation (total +4 from +4 racial -2 Cha +2 ranks), changing the skills to:

Skills: Climb +13, Intimidate +4, Listen +4, Spot +4, Survival +4

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Ooh, I like that idea. Shall we give switch out a rank of Listen and Spot to give it 2 ranks of Intimidation (total +4 from +4 racial -2 Cha +2 ranks), changing the skills to:

Skills: Climb +13, Intimidate +4, Listen +4, Spot +4, Survival +4
That works for me.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I have to stick with 1d4. It'd be just too similar to the SRD (carnivorous) ape otherwise. And I agree that the carnivorous ape would logically have a better bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads