Converting "Real World" Animals and Vermin

Status
Not open for further replies.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Might as well go with the cold subtype, esp since we're going with magical beast. :)

Wyverns have 2d6 Con for primary and secondary at 7HD and CR 6 and also had fatal poison in their previous incarnation. (And Ability Focus (poison).) So I'd say that's probably a fair conversion.

Shade

Monster Junkie
When it comes to combat and hunting techniques, the polar spider is exceptionally clever. The spider usually hides in a deep snowbank where it is 75% undetectable due to coloration, stillness, and experience, and rushes at passing prey, surprising on a 1-4 on a d6. This spider's bite is fatally poisonous, and all saves vs. poison are at -2 against it.

Normal hunting spider skill bonuses:

Skills: Monstrous spiders have a +4 racial bonus on Hide and Spot checks and a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks. A monstrous spider can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened. Monstrous spiders use either their Strength or Dexterity modifier for Climb checks, whichever is higher. *Hunting spiders have a +10 racial bonus on Jump checks and a +8 racial bonus on Spot checks.

Snow spider skill bonuses:

Skills: Snow spiders have a +4 racial bonus on Hide checks, a +20 racial bonus on Jump checks, a +8 racial bonus on Spot checks, and a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks. Snow spiders use their Dexterity modifier instead of their Strength modifier for Climb and Jump checks. Snow spiders can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks even if rushed or threatened. *In snowy or icy environments, a snow spider's bonus on Hide checks improves to +8.

I'm thinking we retain the usual +4 Hide, +10 Jump, +8 Spot. We don't currently have a climb speed for them. Shall we give them one?

Shall we stick with the snow spider's +8 Hide improvement in snowy areas, or go even higher since this is even more greatly linked to the polar spider's tactics?

I think a racial bonus on Balance checks might also make sense, to go along with the icegliding/bull rushing. Thoughts?

freyar

Shade said:
I'm thinking we retain the usual +4 Hide, +10 Jump, +8 Spot. We don't currently have a climb speed for them. Shall we give them one?

Shall we stick with the snow spider's +8 Hide improvement in snowy areas, or go even higher since this is even more greatly linked to the polar spider's tactics?

I think a racial bonus on Balance checks might also make sense, to go along with the icegliding/bull rushing. Thoughts?

A slow climb speed sounds right, along with the usual skill bonuses. Let's add a +4 Balance bonus and go for +12 Hide bonus in snowy areas.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Should we give them an ability to knock bull rushed victims down when on icy surfaces? Say if they beat the check by 10 or more?

CR 4?

Treasure: J-M, Q

J:
3-24 copper pieces per individual

K:
3-18 silver pieces per individual

L:
2-12 electrum pieces per individual

M:
2-8 gold pieces per individual

Q:
1-4 gems: 50%

So half coins; half goods; no items? (Although I find it odd that incidental treasure would not include items. Perhaps just half standard?)

Advancement: 7 HD (Large); 8-15 HD (Huge); 16–31 HD (Gargantuan); 32+ (Colossal)? (This follows normal monstrous spider progression)

freyar

You mean like Overrun or Trip? I think to get a good CR 4, I'd drop Ability Focus (poison) since that makes it pretty tough and add Improved Overrun. Or am I being too wimpy? ;)

Treasure sounds good with half items. Advancement looks good.

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
You mean like Overrun or Trip?

I was thinking more along the lines of the Rampaging Bull Rush feat in PHBII or

freyar said:
I think to get a good CR 4, I'd drop Ability Focus (poison) since that makes it pretty tough and add Improved Overrun. Or am I being too wimpy? ;)

It originally made opponets save at -2, so Ability Focus seemed like a good choice.

freyar

Yeah, I agree with the choice, but I wonder if it's overpowered for CR 4. A wyvern with the same poison and DC only 1 higher is CR 6. What if we go to CR 5 and add the ability to knock down opponents?

Shade

Monster Junkie
CR 5 seems reasonable. Its about on par with the phase spider; it has deadlier venom, but lacks the maneuverability and 1 greater HD of the phaser.

How's this?

Ice Rush (Ex): A polar spider can attempt to knock down any creature that it successfully bull rushes on icy surfaces. The target must succeed on a Balance check (opposed by the polar spider's Strength check made to bull rush) or be knocked prone at the end of the bull rush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads