Converting True Dragons

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Do you just want to deal with the Crow's Nest Dragonet first? Or have you started that in another thread?

Cleon

Legend
Do you just want to deal with the Crow's Nest Dragonet first? Or have you started that in another thread?

No, it makes sense to sort out the "Dragon Problems" on this thread.

The Crow's Nest Dragonet's "fog breath" should be simple enough to write up.

Oh, and the Cobra Dragon's alignment is wrong - are you OK with me just changing it to LE?

freyar

Go ahead and swap the cobra dragon's alignment. That must have been a copy-paste-forget-to-change error. Just keep track of it for darjr, I guess.

Here's the crow's nest dragonet breath weapon entry from the original critter:
When threatened, crow's-nest dragons usually fly away. If prusued by a flying predator, however, they migh tuse their ability to breathe out a fog cloud as a 9th-level caster. Although the cloud usually blows away quickly in ocean winds, it can give the dragonets time to escape. Each dragonet can use this magical breath only once per day.

So...
Breath Weapon (Su): Once per day, a crow's nest dragonet can breathe out a cloud of mist, as the spell fog cloud.

Cleon

Legend
Go ahead and swap the cobra dragon's alignment. That must have been a copy-paste-forget-to-change error. Just keep track of it for darjr, I guess.

I tried, but the revived CC's dragon-editing function has gone AWOL, so it'll have to wait until Darjr restores it.

Here's the crow's nest dragonet breath weapon entry from the original critter:

So...
Breath Weapon (Su): Once per day, a crow's nest dragonet can breathe out a cloud of mist, as the spell fog cloud.

That's fine, except that I think it needs a duration. The original was equivalent to a CL 9th fog cloud. In 3E D&D that'd have a 90 minute duration, but in the 2E AD&D this dragonet was written for fog cloud has a duration of 4+level rounds, for 12 rounds.

That seems a lot more reasonable than an hour and a half, and I'd round it to a minute:

Breath Weapon (Su): Once per day, a crow's nest dragonet can breathe out a cloud of mist, as the spell fog cloud, with a duration of 1 minute.

freyar

OK, that's set. What's next for this thread? Let it wait for a bit before starting more true dragons?

Cleon

Legend
OK, that's set. What's next for this thread? Let it wait for a bit before starting more true dragons?

It would seem more sensible to address the "Dragon Update" issues before we start the slog of creating new true dragons:

Dragon Update Issues
Jade Dragons from the D&D Master Set (1985) have a breath weapon caused a horrible rotting disease as well as damage. Our Enworld conversion just does the damage. Should we update it?

Ruby Dragons from the D&D Master Set (1985) have a breath weapon that melts inanimate objects as well as doing fire damage. Our Enworld conversion just has fire damage plus a 'burn' effect like a Fire Elemental. Should we update it?

Faerûnian Yellow Dragons from the Draconomicon (1990) have a breath weapon that can blind as well as causing damage. Our Enworld conversion just does damage. Also, this dragon has the "signature trick" of creating a sinkhole pit trap like an ant lion, which we mention in the Combat description but don't give any rules for. Should we update it?

Remove ads