Converting World of Greyhawk monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
Grip of Ruin (Su): The Hand can hold objects (of Small or smaller size?) in its third hand, if it chooses not to use its slam attack or grapple an opponent with it in that round. The Hand drains the hardness from an object at a rate of (1d4?) per round, until the object eventually crumbles into dust. Magic items can resist this drain on a (DC X Will save?).
I'd leave out "of Small or smaller size", since weapons don't really follow the same sizes as creatures anymore. If you want it to hold more in this hand than a normal Medium creature could in a normal hand, maybe state that it can hold anything in one hand that a Large (or even Huge?) creature can hold in one hand. 1d4 sounds good. Shouldn't it be a Fort save?

BOZ said:
Strength Damage (Su): The Hand can choose to deal 1d6 points of Strength damage on a successful grapple check. If a victim reaches Strength 0 in this way, it dies.
Lookin' good.

BOZ said:
“Magical Senses” (Su): The Hand possesses no visual or auditory organs and has immunity to gaze attacks, visual effects, illusions, sonic effects, and other attack forms that rely on sight or hearing. Instead, the hand has blindsight out to 60 feet (and an ability to detect noise?) and cannot be flanked or caught flat-footed. These senses can be suppressed for 1 round by a dispel magic spell.
I can't think of any precedent for "detecting noise" outside of blindsight, which can use echolation.

Just as an aside, does it have olfactory organs? If not, it would be immune to stench-based attacks as well.

BOZ said:
Spell-Like Abilities: The following abilities are always active on the Eye’s person, as the spells (caster level Xth); clairaudience/clairvoyance, detect magic, detect thoughts, find traps, and true seeing. They can be dispelled, but the Eye can reactivate them as a free action.
Looks good. Caster level 12th?

BOZ said:
“Tracking Sense” (Su): The eye has the ability to sense an intelligent creature’s aura over long distances, if it has seen the creature directly or through scrying. The Eye can detect most creatures up to 1 mile away. Creatures with spellcasting abilities are detectable at a range in miles equal to their total caster levels (or, like the text, a number or miles equal to the highest level of spells they can cast?).

To track a creature’s aura, the Eye must succeed on a DC X (knowledge arcana? Gather information? Search?) check. If it fails the check, the Eye can retry after (1 hour) of meditation. If successful, the Eye can sense the creature as if by the locate creature spell.

This tracking ability can be blocked if the creature is within X feet of a large concentration of magical energy, such as an artifact, a stockpile of magic items, or at least (three?) other spellcasters. In such an instance, the Eye must succeed on a DC X Will save or lose the ability to track the creature’s aura until it leaves the source of magical energy. Running water does not block this ability.
Caster level is probably a good idea, as it helps with those situations where a creature has a spell-like ability that doesn't mimic a specific spell. I'd go with the Search check. Go with the standard 30 feet for the "large concentration of magical energy"?

BOZ said:
Does this need to be explored?:
“it cannot be surprised, as long as it is awake.”
Alertness and/or Improved Init as bonus feats, racial bonus to Spot and Listen, or even an insight bonus to initiative, Spot, and/or Listen could cover this as well.

qstor

Adventurer
*bump*

wanted to keep this alive :) On the WOTC Greyhawk boards someone was asking for the Hand and Eye.

Mike

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
people are asking about these guys? :) well, don't worry, they will be the first things i start working on again when i'm back on. they've been sitting here since what... may?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
OK, I’m going to make it my #1 priority for conversions to finish these two guys. They’ve been sitting here since about May, and have gone through two special projects of mine, and really need to be put to rest. :)

Since working on both at the same time has gotten cumbersome, I’m splitting them up. We’re going to finish the Hand first, since he is close to being finished, and is a far simpler creature (in more than one sense of the word).

Below, I’m posting what stats I have for him so far. I’m going to be working on the flavor text today. Who knows, I may even finish him today and be able to move on to the Eye. Feel free to post critiques, questions, and suggestions – as always. :)

The Hand
Medium Monstrous Humanoid
Hit Dice: 13d8+X (X hp)
Initiative: +X
Speed: 30 ft (6 squares)
Armor Class: 20 (+X Dex, +X natural), touch X, flat-footed X
Base Attack/Grapple: +13/+20
Attack: Slam +20 melee (1d10+7) or longsword +20 melee (1d8+7/19-20) or dagger +15 ranged (1d4+7)
Full Attack: Slam +20 melee (1d10+7) and 2 longswords +15 melee (1d8+3/19-20) or 2 daggers +11 ranged (1d4+7/19-20)
Space/Reach: 5 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks: constrict 1d10+10?, grip of ruin, improved grab, strength damage
Special Qualities: senses
Saves: Fort +X Ref +X Will +X
Abilities: Str 24, Dex (15+), Con (18+), Int 7, Wis X, Cha X
Skills: 16
Feats: 5 Two-Weapon Fighting

Environment: Any land and underground
Organization: Solitary or cult (X)
Challenge Rating: X
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always lawful evil
Advancement: ---
Level Adjustment: ---

The Hand is 4 ½ feet tall, and weighs (170-210?) pounds.

The Hand has no mouth and so cannot speak. It does think, however, and can be communicated with telepathically.

COMBAT

Constrict (Ex): The Hand deals automatic slam damage with a successful grapple check.

Grip of Ruin (Su): The Hand can hold in its third hand any object that a Large creature can hold in one hand, if it does not grapple an opponent or use its slam attack with that hand in that round. The Hand drains the hardness from an object at a rate of 1d4 points per round, until the object eventually crumbles into dust when it reaches hardness 0. Magic items can resist this drain on a DC X Fortitude save. The save DC is X-based.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, the Hand must hit with its slam attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can either constrict or deal strength damage or both.

Strength Damage (Su): The Hand can choose to deal 1d6 points of Strength damage on a successful grapple check. If a victim reaches Strength 0 in this way, it dies.

“Magical Senses” (Su): The Hand possesses no visual, auditory, or olfactory organs and has immunity to gaze attacks, visual effects, illusions, sonic effects, scent-based attacks, and other attack forms that rely on a sense of sight, hearing, or smell. Instead, the hand has blindsight out to 60 feet (and an ability to detect noise?) and cannot be flanked (or caught flat-footed?). These senses can be suppressed for 1 round by a dispel magic spell.

Feats: In combination with its natural abilities, the Hand’s Two-Weapon Fighting feat allows it to attack with two longswords at no penalty.

Originally found in module WGA4 – Vecna Lives! (1990, David “Zeb” Cook) and the module Die Vecna Die! (2000).

Knight Otu

First Post
I realize that it doesn't mean much, but why are these guys Lawful evil? Officially, Vecna is Neutral Evil, I believe. There might of course be a reason I'm missing...

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
could it be that Vecna was a different alignment in previous editions? i really don't know. regardless, LE makes sense if for no other reason than to make them extra obedient - with NE you have too much of that "free will" element going on. ;)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
here is the flavor text i came up with. if anyone out there has either of the original modules and would care to add anything to this or the stat block, please feel free to post. :)

This squat, heavily muscled humanoid is about the same size and shape as a dwarf. However, in place of a humanoid head, a giant-sized hand sticks out of the neck. The creature wears a pleated kilt, decorated with colorful swirls and jagged stripes. It wears a thick leather belt loaded with daggers, and carries two longswords on its back. It appears to be wearing nothing else.

The Hand, or Hand Servitor as it is sometimes known, is the second lieutenant in the cult of Vecna, answering only to the Eye. This being was created by modifying a human using powerful spells to transform it. It is unknown if there are more than one of these creatures, but none have ever been seen.

The Hand, as with its “brother” the Eye, was created by wizard-priest servants of Vecna, in a time when the mighty arch-lich was only a demigod striving for greater deific status. The process used to create the Hand was incredibly complex, and torturously painful for the subject. The agony of this procedure was so intense that it peeled away its essence of humanity, leaving a barely intelligent, bestial monster. Much like the Eye, the Hand is marked by odd behaviors. Its fawning submissiveness or gently stroking the hand of a friend can suddenly turn to a blind rage without warning, with the Hand flinging himself against walls. Even when totally calm, the Hand is never quite still, and trembles and twitches uncontrollably.

Since the Hand lacks the ability to communicate vocally, the priests of Vecna must use telepathy to talk with it. Though the Hand is technically below the cult’s high priests in rank, it resents this station. It inspires fear in the cult’s followers, as it carries out the decrees of the high priests. This monster is fearsome for its brute physical qualities, but does not inspire the icy terror of a more sinister being like the Eye.

When appearing in public, the Hand wears a blue-green robe with a large hood, and grips an embossed leather mask with its third hand to hide its “face.” It can carry up to twelve daggers on its belt.

COMBAT
The Hand exists to be the muscle of the cult of Vecna, and is well-suited for fighting. The Hand can fight with two weapons in its normal hands, and crush creatures and objects with its strange third appendage. It normally begins combat by hurling daggers at its foes, and then closes in for melee to fight with its swords.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Was 3.5 released yet when we started on this guy? ;)

The descriptive text looks great!

We'll need to figure out ability scores soon. I'd suggest Dex 19 so we can give him both Improved and Greater TWF.

Base saves are: Fort +4, Ref +8, Will +8.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade said:
Was 3.5 released yet when we started on this guy?

yes. :p

Shade said:
The descriptive text looks great!

thanks! :)

Shade said:
We'll need to figure out ability scores soon.

Yes. :) that’s the main thing left to do.

Shade said:
I'd suggest Dex 19 so we can give him both Improved and Greater TWF.

do we need to do that? I thought that this line took care of all that:
Feats: In combination with its natural abilities, the Hand’s Two-Weapon Fighting feat allows it to attack with two longswords at no penalty.

posting in homebrews…

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
do we need to do that? I thought that this line took care of all that:
We'll need 'em if we want iterative attacks with the off-hand (2 for ITWF, 3 for GTWF). The Feats line simply removes the -4 penalty for fighting with a longsword in each hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads