Converting World of Greyhawk monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
OK well, in that case let's keep it. ;) let's get some ideas started here, particularly for ability scores:

The Hand
Medium Monstrous Humanoid
Hit Dice: 13d8+X (X hp)
Initiative: +X
Speed: 30 ft (6 squares)
Armor Class: 20 (+X Dex, +X natural), touch X, flat-footed X
Base Attack/Grapple: +13/+20
Attack: Slam +20 melee (1d10+7) or longsword +20 melee (1d8+7/19-20) or dagger +15 ranged (1d4+7)
Full Attack: Slam +20 melee (1d10+7) and 2 longswords +15 melee (1d8+3/19-20) or 2 daggers +11 ranged (1d4+7/19-20)
Space/Reach: 5 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks: constrict 1d10+10?, grip of ruin, improved grab, strength damage
Special Qualities: senses
Saves: Fort +X Ref +X Will +X
Abilities: Str 24, Dex (19+), Con (18+), Int 7, Wis X, Cha X
Skills: 16 (Disguise, Intimidate)
Feats: 5 Greater Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Two-Weapon Fighting

Shade

Monster Junkie
How about Str 24, Dex 19, Con 20, Int 7, Wis 10, Cha 11?

I'd recommed Quick Draw and Power Attack to round out the feats.

Assuming Quick Draw, Dex 19, and the additional TWF feats, the attack lines change as follows:

Attack: Slam +20 melee (1d10+7) or longsword +20 melee (1d8+7/19-20) or dagger +17 ranged (1d4+7)
Full Attack: Slam +20 melee (1d10+7) and 2 longswords +20/+15/+10 melee (1d8+3/19-20) or 3 daggers +17 ranged (1d4+7/19-20)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade said:
How about Str 24, Dex 19, Con 20, Int 7, Wis 10, Cha 11?

hmm… on the one hand (pun not intended), I wouldn’t want the Cha to be too high, but on the other hand (pun still not intended), it can’t really Intimidate or Disguise itself with a low Cha score. Otherwise, everything you said sounded OK.

can he really throw 3 daggers at the same attack value?

constrict damage should be 1d10+10?

The Hand is 4 ½ feet tall, and weighs (170-210?) pounds.

Grip of Ruin: should the save be Strength or Constitution-based? Or even Cha?

“Magical Senses” (Su): The Hand possesses no visual, auditory, or olfactory organs and has immunity to gaze attacks, visual effects, illusions, sonic effects, scent-based attacks, and other attack forms that rely on a sense of sight, hearing, or smell. Instead, the hand has blindsight out to 60 feet (and an ability to detect noise?) and cannot be flanked (or caught flat-footed?). These senses can be suppressed for 1 round by a dispel magic spell.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Cha could go lower.

D'oh! Dagger routine should be +17/+12/+7.

Wouldn't constrict be the same as slam damage (1d10+7)?

200 lbs. sounds good for weight. I'd imagine that big hand-head is heavy.

Grip of Ruin: I like Strength-based for it.

“Magical Senses”: I like "can't be caught flat-footed", but I'd ditch magical hearing and just leave it at blindsight, or add tremorsense as well.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade said:
Cha could go lower.

it could, but in the end I don’t think I want it to. given the need for Intimidate and Disguise that I feel this fellow needs, I need to decide whether to leave the Cha at 11 or make it higher. I could just go by ranks on those skills though.

Shade said:
D'oh! Dagger routine should be +17/+12/+7.

I thought something was amiss. ;) so “or dagger +17/+12/+7 ranged (1d4+7/19-20)” should cover throwing 3 daggers?

Shade said:
Wouldn't constrict be the same as slam damage (1d10+7)?

this is a debate we’ve had going for awhile now, and I’m still not sure what to think. Oh, Mr. SRD…? The idea is, does a constrict attack deal have a damage bonus of Str or Str 1 ½?

Shade said:
200 lbs. sounds good for weight. I'd imagine that big hand-head is heavy.

Grip of Ruin: I like Strength-based for it.

that’s all good. And yes, Str-based will make it harder to resist. :D

Shade said:
“Magical Senses”: I like "can't be caught flat-footed", but I'd ditch magical hearing and just leave it at blindsight, or add tremorsense as well.

any idea for a good name? ;)

Knight Otu

First Post
BOZ said:
this is a debate we’ve had going for awhile now, and I’m still not sure what to think. Oh, Mr. SRD…? The idea is, does a constrict attack deal have a damage bonus of Str or Str 1 ½?
Apparently, both is possible. Couatls, for example use Str 1 1/2, behirs use Str.

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
it could, but in the end I don’t think I want it to. given the need for Intimidate and Disguise that I feel this fellow needs, I need to decide whether to leave the Cha at 11 or make it higher. I could just go by ranks on those skills though.
Cool.

BOZ said:
I thought something was amiss. ;) so “or dagger +17/+12/+7 ranged (1d4+7/19-20)” should cover throwing 3 daggers?
Yep.

BOZ said:
Knight Otu said:
Apparently, both is possible. Couatls, for example use Str 1 1/2, behirs use Str.
Your SRD cannot help you now. Based on Knight Otu's findings, it's up to us. I'd go with Str and 1/2 for this fella, since he only constricts with one appendage, and its a big 'un.

BOZ said:
that’s all good. And yes, Str-based will make it harder to resist. :D
My thoughts exactly.

BOZ said:
any idea for a good name? ;)
Hmmm....how about: Eldritch Awareness, Supernatural Senses, or Arcane Discernment?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade said:
Your SRD cannot help you now. Based on Knight Otu's findings, it's up to us. I'd go with Str and 1/2 for this fella, since he only constricts with one appendage, and its a big 'un.

do I need to call eric's grandma in here? ;)

but yes, that idea makes me vewwy vewwy happy - +10 damage bonus it is!

Shade said:
Hmmm....how about_: Eldritch Awareness, Supernatural Senses, or Arcane Discernment?

arcane awareness? :)

has anyone looked through either of the modules enough to get a good idea of who we might find this guy with?
Organization: Solitary or cult (X)

Skills: (16 ranks) Disguise +X, Intimidate +X
Other skills he could benefit from:
Climb, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Sense Motive, Swim, Tumble

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
do I need to call eric's grandma in here? ;)
Gee, I hope not!

BOZ said:
arcane awareness? :)
Works for me.

BOZ said:
has anyone looked through either of the modules enough to get a good idea of who we might find this guy with?
Organization: Solitary or cult (X)
Nope. I don't have 'em.

BOZ said:
Skills: (16 ranks) Disguise +X, Intimidate +X
Other skills he could benefit from:
Climb, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Sense Motive, Swim, Tumble
How about: Bluff 5 (granting +2 synergy bonus to both Disguise and Intimidate), Disguise 5, Intimidate 5, Tumble 1 (since it can't be used untrained). The Hand's good Str and Dex should provide nice modifiers to the other skills you listed. One thing is for certain: I'd love to see this guy swim! :)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
He could probably swim just fine. ;) I don’t think that third hand should encumber him, in fact it would make him more aerodynamic if used properly. And he probably doesn’t need to breath either, unless he breathes through his pores or something. :D

OK, I’ll have to study the modules a bit to see what kind of an entourage to give him, if any.

CR… 10-12?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads