Converting World of Greyhawk monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Interesting. I think the speed and Dex loss makes sense as well.

Updating...

Slow Petrifying Gaze (Su): 30 feet, Fortitude DC X negates. On a failed save, the victim must continue to save each round thereafter and is slowed (as the spell) and takes a cumulative 10-foot penalty to speed and a -2 penalty to Dexterity, but gains a +1 enhancement bonus to its natural armor as its skin begins to harden. A successful save after the initial save does not negate the effect, but prevents any further penalties and eventual petrification. If the target fails three consecutive saves, the victim is turned to stone permanently. The effect can be reversed by a stone to flesh effect at any time. If used before complete petrification, no saving throw is required to survive the transformation. The save DC is Charisma-based.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I like it.

The medusa abilities sound fine, except the Int needs to be decreased. Maybe Str 10, Dex 15, Con 12, Int 6, Wis 13, Cha 15

What did you think about the poison?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

As for the poison, I think it depends on how it is delivered. If we cluster all the snakeheads into a single attack (like the medusa), then I think the Con damage you proposed is fine. If we stick with 8 separate attacks (like it originally had), then that is way too powerful. We could reduce it to 1 Con, perhaps, if we go that route.

Thoughts?

freyar

What did the medusa do in 2e regarding number of attacks? Keep in mind also that each of these poison attacks could cause death on a failed save! Anyway, I think if the medusa originally had many snake hair attacks, we should just combine these. Otherwise, let's keep them separate and reduce the poison damage.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Medusa snakes were a single attack in 2e as well, so we can go that route, and thus use the deadlier venom.

freyar

Actually, in that case, I'd say to go with 8 single attacks with the weaker poison since this is meant to be different than a standard medusa. But I don't have a strong opinion either way.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'm fine with keeping it different. :)

Skills: 9
Hide 3, Move Silently 3, Spot 3?

Feats: 3
Ability Focus (poison)/Stealthy, Multiattack, Weapon Finesse?

Environment: Any? (Medusa is Temperate marshes)

Challenge Rating: 5?

A thousandtooth is 4 feet in diameter and weighs x pounds.

Thousandtooths speak X. (Medusae speak Common)

freyar

I'd go with ability focus for the 3rd feat. I was thinking underground for environment and Undercommon for the language. Otherwise, any and Common also work. I think CR 5 and those skills are fine. 200 lbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads