• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Coolest weapon from literature?

Favorite named sword from literature?

• Lightbringer

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Ice

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • Need

Votes: 7 3.0%
  • Glamdring

Votes: 15 6.4%
  • Narsil

Votes: 15 6.4%
  • Sting

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Stormbringer

Votes: 106 44.9%
  • Callandor

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • Other

Votes: 56 23.7%

Utrecht

First Post
Yes, Ice is gone - however they did not melt it down. The Lannisters simply took the blade from Ice and placed it into Jamies new sword.

The reason is that the have lost the ability to create/work Valarian Steel.

Mallus

Legend
I totally forgot about "Terminus Est" from the Book of the New Sun. And I named my very first AD&D character Severian... Kicking of self commencing.

How cool is a weapon whose name means "The line that divides" or "The place of parting" in Latin? --it does mean that, right? My one year of Latin in junior high isn't helping me right now. And though its incidental, the "avern" that Severian uses in the duel in book one is a fantastic creation. Essentially its an extraterrestrial plant with a stalk as heavy as mace and poisonous petals which can be broken off and thrown.

My second choice would have to be good 'ole Stormbringer, followed by Corum's Eye of Rhynn and Hand of Kwll {sp?}.

And then Iceflame and Blackwand from the Vlad Taltos series. I just think they're neat. Maybe its just the juxtaposition of the books Mike Hammer tough guy tone with silly epic fantasy names like 'Iceflame'.

The Misenchanted Sword was a lot of fun. Stole the idea for a campaign in college when a friend and I created the dreaded "Yat Sword" --which was imprisoned in the Yat Rock in Loch Yat in Yatshire {I believe all real places in Wales, we were using a tour guide for names}. Among its many powers where mind-reading, but only if the wieder held it bewtween their teeth and hummed "Getting to Know You" from the Sound of Music.

And the Wave Motion Gun blows the SDF-1's reflex cannon away.

Storminator

First Post
Perfectly reasonable speculation. Makes sense.

I don't think they just took the blade tho. Jamie's sword has the red worked thru the metal, and Ice did not. Ice was also a greatsword, and I'm pretty sure Tywin had more than one sword made, didn't he? Or a sword and a dagger?

PS

Tsyr

Explorer
Storminator said:
Perfectly reasonable speculation. Makes sense.

I don't think they just took the blade tho. Jamie's sword has the red worked thru the metal, and Ice did not. Ice was also a greatsword, and I'm pretty sure Tywin had more than one sword made, didn't he? Or a sword and a dagger?

PS

It was two essentialy identical swords, yes. The metal was melted down and re-worked.

Feliath

First Post
Stormbringer and Terminus Est

First things first: I wholeheartedly agree with Tsyr. There is nothing, and i mean nothing, so annoying as literary elitism. :mad:

Anyway, I voted Stormbringer, but then ColonelHardisson reminded me of Terminus Est, which is the coolest-named sword EVER, and so you can consider my vote shifted to "Other".

Anyway, Mallus, there are two possible translations, the more literal one being "This is the end". The other, which is the one given by Palaemon, is "This is the line of division". I think Palaemon uses the slightly erroneous but much cooler sounding "Here lies the line of division", however.
All these translations, of course, are fabulously cool. :cool:
All must love them! ALL! :D

/Feliath

Khorod

First Post
Valarian Steel: I don't think the reworking left the new swords as good as the old. That is not from any direct source though.

Stormbringer: Guys, some of that was spoilers. Anything more would definitely be spoilers. And Stormbringer just doesn't come to life unless you read the books. It was just about the best detailed character in the series. :)

Belgarion's Sword: The sword was a way for the Orb to be a more controlled weapon. It was otherwise a big piece of forged meteoric iron. The Orb, as a greater artifact and incarnation of 1 destiny of the universe, probably has my vote for all round coolest object. It was a little 2-D character-wise though.

Sword of Leah: That sword, particularly in the first book it was in, has some of the greatest descriptionizing of any weapon in literature. If anyone hasn't read that series, just finding the passage of its making is not a bad idea.

Remove ads