• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cooperating magical item Creation

Xarlen

First Post
It was mentioned in the Nightmare thread, or suggested that someone with an item creation feat can help out another. Now, I don't know the rules that well, and not having the books on me, wondered if someone could answer this:

Could say, a wizard scribe a scroll, and have a cleric cast a spell onto it?

If so, who gets the loss of xp?

Mahali

Explorer
Yes although it'd be be a cleric spell so the wizard can't cast it.

The one with the creation feat generally does although if it was an item with lots of prereqs and only the one without the feat had them I'd allow him to loose the exp.

The Harlequin

First Post
Although in my campaign i am thinking of letting the person who wants the magic item pay for the xp.

So if for example the party needs a magic item made, say for the fighter, the wizard and the fighter will both have to be together for the whole time the item is being made. The fighter is basically giving his time and helping out with menial labour.

And at the end of it, the fighter willingly hands over his xp for the item. I dont see why the creator has to pay for xp just because he is the one making it ???

I have talked to the players and they whole heartedly agree with me on this. If you want it bad enough then you cough up for it.

The Harlequin

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
And at the end of it, the fighter willingly hands over his xp for the item. I dont see why the creator has to pay for xp just because he is the one making it ???

Of course, XP isn't something you can just "hand over". So make sure you go into grisly detail about the procedures the wizard uses to siphon the very life force from the fighter...

("You could drink her essence, sire!")

-Hyp.

melkoriii

First Post
The Harlequin said:
Although in my campaign i am thinking of letting the person who wants the magic item pay for the xp.

So if for example the party needs a magic item made, say for the fighter, the wizard and the fighter will both have to be together for the whole time the item is being made. The fighter is basically giving his time and helping out with menial labour.

I have talked to the players and they whole heartedly agree with me on this. If you want it bad enough then you cough up for it.

The Harlequin

This is how we run it in my game too. As the only item creator it became a problem that I would just onlyl make items for myself as otherwis I was going to be lvl's behind everyone else. We still only make a few items here and there as time goes on but it keeps everyone around the same xp totals and thats good. Other wis I would charge market price for an item as I would need lots of magic items just to keep up with the rest of the party.

Mahali

Explorer
That's exactly why you shouldn't let a fighter with no skills/spells to contribute spend the exp instead of the creator. You had to spend a feat and they don't to get magic items? I charge people in my group for the exp lost just not the time. They still get it cheaper and I get more than it cost to make.
If you items like that why bother taking a feat? Find a friendly NPC and get them to make it for you.
In my group we discussed a PrC for just such a thing. It'd be perfect for NPCs who crank out special order magic items.

Remove ads