Core Handbook Errors Discussion

Destil

Explorer
Blackeagle said:
My guess is it refers to powers that got cut. I guess we'll find out when the Martial splatbook comes out this fall.
Polearm Gamble requires Wis... not that it makes any sense, since I think someone with 15+ Wis would know better than to open themselves up to combat advantage.

Dionysos

Explorer
This one is a bit annoying to me.

Page 172 of the Player's Handbook introduces the concept of the Destiny Quest, the final quest of the campaign which leads to the culmination of the PCs' respective epic destinies.

It explicitly says that detailed information about Destiny Quests can be found in the Dungeon Master's Guide. The fact that the term Destiny Quest is capitalized, and the fact that the book directs the reader to the DMG for a thorough explanation, implies that the game provides explicit guidelines on said quests.

In reality, the DMG barely has a couple of sentences regarding this issue, which basically just summarize the little bit that was in the PHB. And unless I am quite daft (always a possibility), the term Destiny Quest is not mentioned in the DMG. Just some vague statements about how the campaign should culminate in some sort of big adventure.

It looks like this Destiny Quest stuff was probably cut for space.

Pistonrager

First Post
GoodKingJayIII said:
The Ranger's Level 23 Encounter Power, Blade Ward says:

Hit: [W] + Strength modifier damage.

The "X" in X[W], and should probably be higher than 1.

it's an interrupt to an attack that makes it harder for you to be hit. 1W is fine with the penalty added in

Diirk said:
The fighter weapon table on pg 77 lists Wisdom (and rarely dexterity) as the governing attribute for polearms, this is in relation to powers that work better with specific weapons and grant secondary effects etc. However of the 3 powers that work better with polearms, none of them use wisdom at all, and only 1 uses dexterity:

Dance of Steel, 3rd lvl attack: No effect from attributes
Silverstep, 13th lvl attack: Dexterity determines effect
Paralyzing Strike, 23rd level attack: No effect from attributes

In fact, I believe the only use fighters specifically can get from wisdom is the pit fighter paragon path... unless I missed something.
In a similar, but less important version, the War Wizard build mentions taking powers which "make the best use of your dexterity score". AFAICT there aren't any Wizard powers which use dexterity.

Ander00

First Post
Related to my complaint elsewhere about ranged utility powers for a melee type:

It seems to me that utility powers shouldn't provoke opportunity attacks. Unfortunately, the PHB seems to use "ranged and area attacks" and "ranged and area powers" interchangeably in this context, when it really shouldn't.

cheers

Psikus

Explorer
The "How to read a power" section doesn't seem to explain "Weapon:" lines, such as those used in many Fighter powers:

Hit: 2[W] + Strength modifier damage.
Weapon: If you’re wielding a polearm or a heavy blade, the target is slowed until the end of your next turn.

It's not that difficult to guess its meaning, but i'd prefer if they spelled it out. The fact that the Weapon text is part of the "Hit:" section might not be obvious.

Aria Silverhands

First Post
This much required errata is ridiculous. They should have released the near-final pdf's to the public for a nominal fee and used everyone as proofreaders.

Fredrik Svanberg

First Post
Diirk said:
The fighter weapon table on pg 77 lists Wisdom (and rarely dexterity) as the governing attribute for polearms, this is in relation to powers that work better with specific weapons and grant secondary effects etc. However of the 3 powers that work better with polearms, none of them use wisdom at all, and only 1 uses dexterity:

Dance of Steel, 3rd lvl attack: No effect from attributes
Silverstep, 13th lvl attack: Dexterity determines effect
Paralyzing Strike, 23rd level attack: No effect from attributes

In fact, I believe the only use fighters specifically can get from wisdom is the pit fighter paragon path... unless I missed something.

Perhaps they take Combat Superiority into account, a Fighter class feature that lets you add Wisdom to Opportunity Attacks. With a reach weapon you are likely to get to make Opportunity Attacks more often.

neoweasel

First Post
Fredrik Svanberg said:
Perhaps they take Combat Superiority into account, a Fighter class feature that lets you add Wisdom to Opportunity Attacks. With a reach weapon you are likely to get to make Opportunity Attacks more often.
No you're not. Reach weapons only threaten adjacent squares.

Remove ads