Core Handbook Errors Discussion

Dracollich

First Post
Kraydak said:
What the heck is up with the +2 (or +4) to hit, reduced damage abilities?! Every one I have examined so far is a booby trap *at best*.

One situation I can think of off the top of my head is if a squishy PC teammate is getting beating on by a minion. Ranged attack with a bonus to hit/no damage bonus would be the best choice.

Thought of a second one... if a magical weapon has an encounter/daily ability that takes effect after a successful attack. Don't know if these exist (don't have the books yet), but if they do, I'd go for the 10% bonus to hit to help make sure the effect triggers.

Kraydak

First Post
Dracollich said:
One situation I can think of off the top of my head is if a squishy PC teammate is getting beating on by a minion. Ranged attack with a bonus to hit/no damage bonus would be the best choice.

If you are using Careful Attack to get a more probable hit than Twin Attacks (ranger), you are facing someone you need a 20 or 21 (but not 22 or higher) to hit. Planning for such scenarios should involve Running Away (universal at-will) rather than expenditure of a valuable class at-will slot.

Thought of a second one... if a magical weapon has an encounter/daily ability that takes effect after a successful attack. Don't know if these exist (don't have the books yet), but if they do, I'd go for the 10% bonus to hit to help make sure the effect triggers.

Fights are long enough that you will score a hit *anyways*.

The problem isn't that there literally aren't uses for the abilities, it is that they are *so* corner that they might as well not exist. Someone messed up the math at WotC. (for Careful Attack to be useful compared to Twin Attacks, it would need to add about a +6 to hit, rather than +2, maybe +5 given the interaction with Hunter's Quarry)

Kraydak

First Post
RigaMortus2 said:
On page 281, the image that shows how a Burst 2 works doesn't seem right to me. Wouldn't the 2 top left squares be affected by the burst as well?

I make it only the second from left square missing from the burst.

RigaMortus2

First Post
Kraydak said:
I make it only the second from left square missing from the burst.

At the very least... If you are allowed to skim corners when drawing the imagineary line when checking for LoE, then the first one should be hit too. You can draw an unobstructed line starting from the upper right corner of the origin burst to the upper right corner of the top/left most square.

Kraydak

First Post
RigaMortus2 said:
At the very least... If you are allowed to skim corners when drawing the imagineary line when checking for LoE, then the first one should be hit too. You can draw an unobstructed line starting from the upper right corner of the origin burst to the upper right corner of the top/left most square.

Going by the figure on page 274, it looks like corners (and presumably sides as well) don't count as parts of squares. I didn't see anyplace where it is called out specifically either way, but then I didn't look too hard.

trimeta

First Post
A fairly significant mistake in the MM: The Encounter Groups section for Colossus (page 44) mentions a "primordial colossus (level 24 elite brute)", but there's only one stat block in the Colossus entry, for the Godforged Colossus (Level 29 Elite Brute). Which implies to me that a whole stat block got missed somehow. Well, either that, or the Primordial Colossus was intentionally removed from the book, but the Encounter Group mention of it was not. A mistake either way.

Remove ads