Core Handbook Errors Discussion

charlesatan

Explorer
Xorn said:
Careful Attack (Ranger 1st level At-Will)
It shows Attack: as "Dex Mod +2 vs AC" and Hit: as "1[W]"
It seems like (from DDXP pregen) it should be "Dex Mod x2 vs AC"

Since a basic range attack is "Dex Mod vs AC" and "1[W] + Dex Mod", if you have +3 or higher Dex Mod, your trade off for Careful Attack gets worse and worse, rapidly.

I'm going to assume that you double your Dex Mod on your attack roll, in exchange for not adding it to your damage.

Sounds right. Based on the playtest report, I think this was originally roll 2d20s on the attack roll, pick highest then nerfed to Dex +4 vs AC and now the final version is Dex +2 vs AC. You're trading damage for accuracy. And +2 is a big bonus.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
When we originally saw the photograph of some of the wizard powers, one of them was 'Greater Invisibility'.

Wizard utility 16

Daily, arcane, illusion
Standard action, ranged 20
Target you or one creature
Effect: The target is invisible until the end of your next turn, if the target attacks, the target becomes invisible.
Sustain Minor: If the target is within range, you can sustain the effect

One assumes that there is a lower level power just called 'Invisibility' since this is a 'Greater' version. However, it doesn't seem particularly great...

If there is a lower level version of invisibility, how does it compare with this one? Any possibility of a typo creeping in via copy and paste and not amending greater invis to allow attacks or something?

Cheers

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Not an error as such, but something that seems pretty strange...

In the thread where someone was posting information about the top level powers, it seemed that the top Wizard damaging spell was Meteor Swarm - something like Area burst 5 for 8d6+int damage, half on a miss.

So that was the controller (who excels in area damage).

Then there is the leader. What was his name? Oh yes, the cleric.

He gets Astral Storm - area burst 5 for 6d10+Wis damage, in four damage types (cold and fire and thunder and lightning) and with a sustain minor for extra damage(!)

So how is it that once again the cleric gets a better top end BOOM spell than the wizard eh? What about those role thingys!

Cheers

Thasmodious said:
Under the clerics trained skills it lists - religion + 3 more trained from this list: arcana, diplomacy, heal, history, insight, and *religion*.
I think that's intentional - just in case someone gets the opportunity to pick a new skill from a class skill list. It's still a bit awkward.

Imban

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
If there is a lower level version of invisibility, how does it compare with this one?

It has a maximum range of 5 instead of 20 and is sustained as a standard action rather than a minor action. If you just want to run around invisible for scouting purposes, they're basically equal.

Plane Sailing said:
When we originally saw the photograph of some of the wizard powers, one of them was 'Greater Invisibility'.

Wizard utility 16

Daily, arcane, illusion
Standard action, ranged 20
Target you or one creature
Effect: The target is invisible until the end of your next turn, if the target attacks, the target becomes invisible.
Sustain Minor: If the target is within range, you can sustain the effect

One assumes that there is a lower level power just called 'Invisibility' since this is a 'Greater' version. However, it doesn't seem particularly great...

If there is a lower level version of invisibility, how does it compare with this one? Any possibility of a typo creeping in via copy and paste and not amending greater invis to allow attacks or something?

Cheers

Am I reading the effect line correctly? Does it actually say "The target is invisible until the end of your next turn, if the target attacks, the target becomes invisible" ?

As I read it, the target was already invisible. Why does it need to become invisible again? Nowhere does it say that the target becomes visible until the effect ends. Mucho confused here.

silentounce

First Post
ExploderWizard said:
Am I reading the effect line correctly? Does it actually say "The target is invisible until the end of your next turn, if the target attacks, the target becomes invisible" ?

As I read it, the target was already invisible. Why does it need to become invisible again? Nowhere does it say that the target becomes visible until the effect ends. Mucho confused here.

Maybe it's supposed to say "if the target attacks, the target remains invisible." That would compare to 3.5 and earlier versions. The non-Greater Invisibility probably says that if the target attacks, then the spell effect ends.

silentounce said:
Maybe it's supposed to say "if the target attacks, the target remains invisible." That would compare to 3.5 and earlier versions. The non-Greater Invisibility probably says that if the target attacks, then the spell effect ends.

That would actually make a little more sense. :) I hope Plane misquoted and the book isn't like that.

beverson

First Post
Moon-Lancer said:
ouch, thats a pretty bad typo. For 23, i doubt it would be 1[w] with a single attack.... sigh

It's not completely out of the question or it to be 1[W]. There are several other powers that are Immediate Interrupts like this one which only do 1[W], including other high level ones.

Remove ads