Core Handbook Errors Discussion

entrerix

First Post
maybe not a mistake

rogue v ranger attack

rogue with 18 dex makes a sneak attack using a shortsword dam = 7-22 (3d6+4)

ranger w/18 str and two longswords makes a twin strike, dam = 2-16 (if they both hit, 2d8 plus NOTHING... no strength bonus on this hit)

was rogue meant to have this much more damage output than the other striker? The rogue has more skills and does more damage than the ranger (though the rogue needs combat advantage, this is pretty easy to do if there is a fighter in the party - just flank) in fairly normal circumstances

Zsig

Explorer
The wording on Cleave (p.77) doesn't specify that you can't target the same enemy for the additional Str damage, it only says "...and an enemy adjacent to you takes..."

This means you could simply (effectively) do 1[W] + (2x) Strength mod damage to a single target.

Not sure if it's a typo or if it's intended.

Kordeth

First Post
bobthehappyzombie said:
Does it say anywhere what 1D6[ts] your Wisdom
Means on the Healing font power on page102?
Or is it just a type error?

If I recall my WotC-ese correctly, [ts] is layout code for "times symbol," so it should be a multiplication sign. Contrary to popular belief, the multiplication sign (×) isn't the same thing as a lower case "x". I'd wager the layout folks just missed replacing this one.

entrerix said:
maybe not a mistake

rogue v ranger attack

rogue with 18 dex makes a sneak attack using a shortsword dam = 7-22 (3d6+4)

ranger w/18 str and two longswords makes a twin strike, dam = 2-16 (if they both hit, 2d8 plus NOTHING... no strength bonus on this hit)

was rogue meant to have this much more damage output than the other striker? The rogue has more skills and does more damage than the ranger (though the rogue needs combat advantage, this is pretty easy to do if there is a fighter in the party - just flank) in fairly normal circumstances

Ranger with Twin Strike and Hunters Quarry: 3-22 (1d8+1d8+1d6), with the option of splitting the attack between two targets, always useful in a game with minions that die on a single hit. There's other stuff that adds to damage for either class, but the ranger will be adding some damage bonuses twice, once per each weapon, and has access to higher base damage weapons by default, and Hunter's Quarry works with any weapon and works more often than Sneak Attack, so overall damage output will be similar.

MindWanderer

First Post
bobthehappyzombie said:
Does it say anywhere what 1D6[ts] your Wisdom
Means on the Healing font power on page102?
Or is it just a type error?
[ts] is pre-print jargon for the multiplication symbol. So it means 1d6 times your Wis.
entrerix said:
Also think of it like Careful Attack: you get an additional chance to land one attack, and thus add your Hunter's Quarry damage. Between getting +4 to one attack or getting two attacks, I'll take the latter.

Last edited:

Diirk

First Post
The fighter weapon table on pg 77 lists Wisdom (and rarely dexterity) as the governing attribute for polearms, this is in relation to powers that work better with specific weapons and grant secondary effects etc. However of the 3 powers that work better with polearms, none of them use wisdom at all, and only 1 uses dexterity:

Dance of Steel, 3rd lvl attack: No effect from attributes
Silverstep, 13th lvl attack: Dexterity determines effect
Paralyzing Strike, 23rd level attack: No effect from attributes

In fact, I believe the only use fighters specifically can get from wisdom is the pit fighter paragon path... unless I missed something.

Kraydak

First Post
Fighter Rain of Blows (Enc 3): comparing to the ranger's Twin Attacks (at-will), it appears to me that Rain of Blows gives you two attack, each one of which can proc a secondary attack, for a max of 4 attacks. Intended? Appropriate reading?

What the heck is up with the +2 (or +4) to hit, reduced damage abilities?! Every one I have examined so far is a booby trap *at best*.

marune

First Post
Diirk said:
The fighter weapon table on pg 77 lists Wisdom (and rarely dexterity) as the governing attribute for polearms, this is in relation to powers that work better with specific weapons and grant secondary effects etc. However of the 3 powers that work better with polearms, none of them use wisdom at all, and only 1 uses dexterity:

Dance of Steel, 3rd lvl attack: No effect from attributes
Silverstep, 13th lvl attack: Dexterity determines effect
Paralyzing Strike, 23rd level attack: No effect from attributes

In fact, I believe the only use fighters specifically can get from wisdom is the pit fighter paragon path... unless I missed something.

You are right, probably a last minute change of mind from the designers. Wisdom is also mentioned in the Creating a Fighter section.

Blackeagle

First Post
skeptic said:
You are right, probably a last minute change of mind from the designers. Wisdom is also mentioned in the Creating a Fighter section.

My guess is it refers to powers that got cut. I guess we'll find out when the Martial splatbook comes out this fall.

Remove ads