Core Rules Alternative Cover Gift Set

Original covers online: $96. This set: $170. It is hard to justify spending that much for something we already have, or could get much cheaper with the normal covers.

Original covers online: $96. This set: $170. It is hard to justify spending that much for something we already have, or could get much cheaper with the normal covers.

I factored in the DM screen in the $96, and the box is next to worthless... maybe $100 versus $170. If you think $70 is negligible, you can Paypal it to me.

Really? Because I Looked at Amazon right before posting and the three books added up to $97, and then plus the $9 for the screen, for a total of $106. And the slipcase is a cool way to keep the books together, but then I like slipcases for book sets. And I guess you missed the part of my post where I said it will probably be $120 at most on Amazon, so maybe a $5-15 difference, not $70. And I am not talking about the special covers at all, just the normal ones like you are.

Those special edition covers look so nice, but man, that price, especially for something I already own. If only I had some excuse for buying them...

*Notices that the special edition cover set goes on sale on birthday*

Well, that's the sign I was looking for! :D

darjr

I crit!
I’m getting these and may give my older ones to friends that couldn’t otherwise afford the books.

Or use em as loaners

jgsugden

Legend
Really? Because I Looked at Amazon right before posting and the three books added up to $97, and then plus the $9 for the screen, for a total of $106...
$28 PHB, $29 MM, $30 DMG. $87 for the three books plus $9 for the screen. $96. It is store exclusive, so NOT ON AMAZON. $170 at most stores, some may knock off 10%.

Oofta

Legend
I factored in the DM screen in the $96, and the box is next to worthless... maybe $100 versus $170. If you think $70 is negligible, you can Paypal it to me.

It would be easier to just transfer the money to your bank account, all you have to do is give me your routing, aba number and password. Just to avoid any hassle if you could also provide your social security number and your mother's maiden name that would be great.

P.S. This is absolutely not some overseas hacker that taken over oo-fta's account. This is a real offer.

So don't get it.

This isn't hard. If you can't justify it to yourself, don't get it. If you can justify it as a collector or as a gift, then get it. If you want books that match your other 5e collector's edition books or that fit alongside your collector's editions from 3e and 4e, then you can also get it. If none of those apply, then this simply isn't for you and doesn't affect you in any way.

I love that they're offering a slipcase for the core books. Being able to get them all at once makes sense. Sad that I can't get that, as I already own the three core books (and a second PHB) and really don't need doubles.
Well... I suppose I could pass the plate at the table and see if people would spring for a table copy. Or buy a set for the local library and keep the box.

The collector's edition box is also slick. I like that they're offering all three at once so you don't need to worry about one selling out and preventing you from getting a full set. And a screen is a lovely bonus. That I might get...

BMaC

Adventurer
The question is this: will my children and their children take as much pleasure in owning the limited edition alternate cover slipcase set as I will? I hope so because it's coming out of their college fund.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads