Core Rules Alternative Cover Gift Set

Original covers online: $96. This set: $170. It is hard to justify spending that much for something we already have, or could get much cheaper with the normal covers.

Original covers online: $96. This set: $170. It is hard to justify spending that much for something we already have, or could get much cheaper with the normal covers.

Warpiglet

Adventurer
Your numbers are North American. Where I live $170 represents about 6.5% of tuition for a year of university. So it's win-win, I get the alternate boxed set and my children avoid crippling debt.

That does sound nice...but what is your marginal tax rate ;)

dave2008

Legend
The question is this: will my children and their children take as much pleasure in owning the limited edition alternate cover slipcase set as I will? I hope so because it's coming out of their college fund.
LOL
I guess I know where to get the funds now.

rknop

Adventurer
...and you know what format you still can't get the core books in? PDF! When is WotC going to realize that we're in the second decade of the 21st century? That all not having PDFs does is hurt their sales. You get people like me who have ignored 5e altogether because of the lack of legal PDFs. Then you get the people who might have purchased a legal PDF, but because it wasn't available, found it another way. There's no way that the unavailability of legal PDFs fights piracy; it just inconveniences and/or drives away their legitimate customers.

WOTC! WAKE UP!

I would almost certainly have purchased at least one or two of the core books in hardback by now if it were possible to get legal PDFs for them. (Better if you got a free PDF with the hardback, which most companies do nowadays.)

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
They redid the DM screen half a year ago. You'll find it now as the DM Screen Reincarnated, has new tables on the back.

Oh really? if found the original screen lacking in what I really wanted to be able to lookup offhand. I found a player made version I like better. I'll have to check out the update and see if it is more my speed.

Superchunk77

Adventurer
Nope. I'll save my money for Pathfinder 2 next year. Or maybe Dark Sun if that ends up being one of their setting books. Even then it would just be to collect it, like their 4e version. I would never run Dark Sun in 5e.

With the core books being $NZ75 in store each, I'd hate to see what the special set costs. Not that I will see what this costs as I've not ever seen a special edition cover in NZ. So would like a set tho

Last edited by a moderator:

R

RevTurkey

Seems a little pricey but then the srp/rrp of the books normally is comparable I think so by that measure, not so bad. I’d like to see the books have proper bindings rather than glued..that would make the cost much less of an issue.

jgsugden

Legend
...and you know what format you still can't get the core books in? PDF! When is WotC going to realize that we're in the second decade of the 21st century? That all not having PDFs does is hurt their sales. You get people like me who have ignored 5e altogether because of the lack of legal PDFs. Then you get the people who might have purchased a legal PDF, but because it wasn't available, found it another way. There's no way that the unavailability of legal PDFs fights piracy; it just inconveniences and/or drives away their legitimate customers.

WOTC! WAKE UP!

I would almost certainly have purchased at least one or two of the core books in hardback by now if it were possible to get legal PDFs for them. (Better if you got a free PDF with the hardback, which most companies do nowadays.)
Electronic versions - with search functionality - are available via D&D Beyond.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads